IGNORED

Pac-Land music files

Buckaroo

A couple of years back I attempted to make a 2600 version of Pac-Land. 

I've lost the original game files I was working on but I've found the music. 

From memory there's a couple of notes which are transposed an octave but it's pretty close to the original game.

If anyone wants to take the project on then feel free to use the music. 

It's better then them being sat on my hard drive doing nothing.  

Pacland Music.bas Pacland Music.bas.bin

• Like 2

@Fort Apocalypse Just tried the demo of Space Pac-Man and yeah the first level does look like Pac-Land. 

Neat idea to make Pac-Man without the maze. 

Honestly I'm done with this project, I've lost the development files and only have a really old version which isn't working well. 

Even the one I've lost was far from finished. 

On 8/18/2022 at 4:34 PM, Buckaroo said:

@Fort Apocalypse Just tried the demo of Space Pac-Man and yeah the first level does look like Pac-Land. 

Neat idea to make Pac-Man without the maze. 

Honestly I'm done with this project, I've lost the development files and only have a really old version which isn't working well. 

Even the one I've lost was far from finished. 

I'd love to see what your Pac-Man looked like!

I took a quick stab at putting something together but it requires 2-sprites to make it work.

1-sprite was difficult because of his hands/gloves. I.E. he looks good but has no hands.

My way would probably have a lot of flicker as introducing something like the fire-hydrant would make Pac-Man (and the hydrant) flicker. Add the ghosts, and well...

pacland2.bin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rsiddall said:

I took a quick stab at putting something together but it requires 2-sprites to make it work.

That looks great!!!

I never got this far on the arcade; I didn't even get the blue cap:

But, there are so many possibilities even with just Pac-Man! Like...

Maybe Pac-Man could do the Decathlon.

Or he could swim?

And go underwater with ghost-fish?

Edited by Fort Apocalypse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckaroo said:

@rsiddall I'm embarrassed now, yours looks way better than mine ever did. 

Here's the unfinished files. 

The version I lost had 3 levels of parallax so the sprites trees and clouds moved at different speeds as the screen scrolled. 

I'm really impressed by your sprite.

Pacland.bas.bin 4 kB · 1 download Pacland.bas 5.11 kB · 0 downloads

It's interesting; if you go backwards, it changes to a mirrored playfield. The score stuff may be doing that maybe, because it appears based on score.

I like your sprites, too! The Pac-Man, ghost, trees, and clouds are all good!

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

7 hours ago, Buckaroo said:

@rsiddall I'm embarrassed now, yours looks way better than mine ever did. 

Here's the unfinished files. 

The version I lost had 3 levels of parallax so the sprites trees and clouds moved at different speeds as the screen scrolled. 

I'm really impressed by your sprite.

Pacland.bas.bin 4 kB · 3 downloads Pacland.bas 5.11 kB · 2 downloads

Don't be...you're working in the standard kernel. I didn't even attempt to do that.

Mine wouldn't solve the problem once everything got added in.

I was just curious to see how you handled Pac-Man. And your solution was to have him in a profile. 🙂

Again, your music is outstanding!!

Here's a single sprite PAC

I know you said you're done with this - so don't feel any pressure, it's all good!

I can't even finish my own attempts at most games as they turn out to be more like programming exercises.

This wouldn't be the exception. 🙂

Pacland1.bas.bin Pacland1.bas

Edited by rsiddall

7 hours ago, Fort Apocalypse said:

It's interesting; if you go backwards, it changes to a mirrored playfield. The score stuff may be doing that maybe, because it appears based on score.

I like your sprites, too! The Pac-Man, ghost, trees, and clouds are all good!

Thanks, I think there's a double function call on the directions as I was still testing on this version.

45 minutes ago, rsiddall said:

Here's a single sprite PAC

I know you said you're done with this - so don't feel any pressure, it's all good!

I can't even finish my own attempts at most games as they turn out to be more like programming exercises.

This wouldn't be the exception. 🙂

Pacland1.bas.bin 4 kB · 0 downloads Pacland1.bas 4.64 kB · 0 downloads

I'm the same when it comes to finishing anything. 

Yeah hopefully someone sees this and decides to pick up the pieces. 

I quite like the idea of making it a rolling demo with the sprite auto walking with the parallax scroll. 

Would you be up for sharing the BAS for the Pacland 2 file and I'll see if I can do it with the cloud and mountain?

6 minutes ago, Buckaroo said:

Thanks, I think there's a double function call on the directions as I was still testing on this version.

I'm the same when it comes to finishing anything. 

Yeah hopefully someone sees this and decides to pick up the pieces. 

I quite like the idea of making it a rolling demo with the sprite auto walking with the parallax scroll. 

Would you be up for sharing the BAS for the Pacland 2 file and I'll see if I can do it with the cloud and mountain?

You bet! See attached.

I've used NUSIZ to enlarge PAC. If you want to make him normal size change the "5" to a "0".

pacland2.bas

On 8/20/2022 at 8:38 PM, rsiddall said:

You bet! See attached.

Thanks, it took me ages to get my head around the DPC+ kernel. I knew about it but had never tried it before. 

I've managed to get some parallax scrolling in the environment but it is coded completely differently as you can't horizontally scroll the playfield in DPC+.

The file is pretty much at the limit before it starts dropping frames so I had to butcher a lot of your code. 

If anyone wants to add to this feel free, there's 4 unused banks of space in there. 

pacland_parallax.bas pacland_parallax.bas.bin

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Buckaroo said:

Thanks, it took me ages to get my head around the DPC+ kernel. I knew about it but had never tried it before. 

I've managed to get some parallax scrolling in the environment but it is coded completely differently as you can't horizontally scroll the playfield in DPC+.

The file is pretty much at the limit before it starts dropping frames so I had to butcher a lot of your code. 

If anyone wants to add to this feel free, there's 4 unused banks of space in there. 

pacland_parallax.bas 13.62 kB · 0 downloads pacland_parallax.bas.bin 32 kB · 1 download

That looks beautiful!! 😍

8 hours ago, rsiddall said:

That looks beautiful!! 😍

8 hours ago, Fort Apocalypse said:

Wow! That looks great!

Thanks guys, I really enjoyed digging back into this. 

I think I'm going to make another couple of these from 80s cartoons with great music which never had 2600 releases. 

I'm thinking Ulysses 31, Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors, Cities Of Gold and Dogtanian. 

• Like 1