14 hours ago, prog99 said:

Looks like a remastering of the ST code from the looks of things although details are scant on the technical aspects.

Noob question - How would you obtain the source code to games on the ST? Are there tools available to accomplish this? I ask because I would love to work on improving games.

I doubt they had the original code somehow. As I said technical details are lacking.

My suspicion is either a heavily patched binary or they disassembled the code to get it into a state it could be reassembled with the falcon fixes and new assets.

None of which is beginner level tinkering.

• Like 1

Source code is what programmers did put together - like S ASM source, or some C source. May be some other language too. It usually contains comments for easier understanding by others, or even for self, for same much later case.  But it is only part of sources. There is graphic, audio, level data, etc. And there is really big variety of tools could and can be used. 

Only way is to get sources from authors, copyright owners. But in big part they are lost. Or nobody cares.  For instance I got e-mail from one team regarding sources for Oids - they contacted original author, and he tried to supply them, but sources were on some kind of tapes, which just went in too bad state. They knew that I dealt with modding it - and yes, I disassembled it's code. And sent them.  But that's only part of whole thing, as said.  It reminds me that some people made some tools about 2 decades ago - like graphic ripper from games and similar. 

Yes, I'm thinking too about disassembling ST version of Strider. But graphic is reworked, with more colors, and as is said some parts missing from ST were added.  I guess that they could use Mame files too .

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just to keep someone from getting their hopes up, this project is for the SEGA Genesis/Mega-Drive...touching up colors and graphics to get the best combo from the arcade and Gen/MD port, along with possibly restoring some dropped/censored stuff in the home version.

"Falcon" was a proposed name for the English release of the arcade game, and appeared on some early sales flyers.

Edited by JLsoft

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 8:32 PM, JLsoft said:

Just to keep someone from getting their hopes up, this project is for the SEGA Genesis/Mega-Drive...touching up colors and graphics to get the best combo from the arcade and Gen/MD port, along with possibly restoring some dropped/censored stuff in the home version.

"Falcon" was a proposed name for the English release of the arcade game, and appeared on some early sales flyers.

Damn, what a shame...I'm sure the Falcon could do a very good replica of this game (Among other CPS1 titles), maybe not arcade perfect but really close. I think its CPU alone is more powerful than the arcade board's?