IGNORED

Please Delete

cbmeeks

For those you don't know, Mett is minced raw pork, and (still, despite the ubiquitous veganism) a common snack in Germany. Actually, the English "meat" is a cognate, but you certainly don't eat it raw.

And no, I never heard of any issues that people had after eating it, but the regulations here are very strict. If people got sick, the health authorities would immediately turn the butcher's upside down.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, no problem. The butcher must prepare the minced pork on that same day and must not keep it for another one; and of course, it must be kept cool all the time. Often, he will make it directly on request.

As I said, I never heard of health issues here.

People jokingly refer to Mett as "mason's marmalade".

• Like 1

Depends on where the pigs were raised. If they don't go near grass, there's less chance they get parasites that can live on in humans, tape worm in particular. We have something similar in Belgium, but instead of onions, we just add copious amounts of pepper.

We als have something along the same lines, called "filet américain" or "American filet" (most unnecessary translation ever...) which is basically raw minced beef with mayonnaise, mustard, parsley and onions. Sort of a pre-made steak tartare like you'd typically find in France, but in spread-form.

Edited by TheMole
  • Like 1