IGNORED

Q*bert Qube on Phoenix

Kiwi

Image5.thumb.png.bbfffec31ee14812b804a48312d3c73e.png

There is an issue in Q*Bert Qube that cause the screen to print stripe in the upper 2/3 of the screen. So, the Phoenix is loading the 12KB into it memory not account the last 4KB being mirrored so it take it longer to complete it task(NMI VRAM curruption) because I believe it using the mirrored address to return to the game.  I read this forum a little too much, so I decided to take the 12KB ROM, duplicate the last 4KB to make it 16KB.  Just in case, I repeated the 16KB to fill the 32KB.  I had to duplicate Stampede to fill 4KB for the Atari 2600 core since 2KB is mirrored on the Atari 2600. And it fixed the problem. I'm told by Steven that this happened in the cartridge version. The bottom picture shows that I am at level 2 round 4.

So this fixed ROM works well with the Phoenix: q-bert-s-qubes-1984(32KB).rom

Enjoy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It will be interesting to see how many Legacy rom images that were cleaned/properly dumped with duplicate/padded code removed may cause an issue when used on the Phoenix. I understand it’s been a number of years that the Phoenix has been released, but I’m sure some more issues will come to light.

8 hours ago, NIAD said:

It will be interesting to see how many Legacy rom images that were cleaned/properly dumped with duplicate/padded code removed may cause an issue when used on the Phoenix. I understand it’s been a number of years that the Phoenix has been released, but I’m sure some more issues will come to light.

I can attest that all the routines, games or test subject that I have programed refused to work on a real ADAM unless I padded it to the next even number
AKA 2k 4k 8k 12k 16k 24k 32k
Any time my thing didn't work I padded it.  (that's what she said)

3 hours ago, Northcoastgamer said:

Q*berts Qubes is famous for lockups or freezing on a Colecovision. I've had games under 100k it locks up and games over 300k and it will lockup. You might have fixed that problem, but sooner or later through continued play it will glitch or lockup again.

Sounds like a good reason to break out the disassembler and look for a few bugs