IGNORED

Atari/Intellivision Flashback Classics on NES - review

Rev

These are from the original Flashbacks, I think. Some have made Atari carts out of the code, so I guess they're emulated on the Flashback's "Nintendo on a Chip".

Asteroids isn't from the Atari 2600, though, so it looks like there's some exceptions besides Atari 2600 / Intellivision emulation. I've forgotten over time, but I'm sure you can find plenty of more information about the original Flashbacks.

Feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong... .

• Like 1

It would be incorrect to call a Nintendo-On-A-Chip game emulation. Famiclone systems for all intents and purposes are Famicom/NES hardware (or a close approximation). Similarly, Colecovision Module #1, is a VCS/2600 clone console.

An ASIC (application-specific integrated circuit) , clone console, original hardware are not “emulation”

A FPGA (field-programmable-gate-array) system like the MiSTer isn’t “emulation” either. It emulates the original hardware circuits original timing, in an attempt to recreate the system.

Emulation is where one system acts as if it were another system. On such an emulated system, the original software would run on it.

The Atari Flashback 1 games are software ports from the VCS to the NES. As such, they should run on a regular nes system.

• Like 1

If you're familiar with the Intellivision games you can tell they aren't using the Intellivision roms.  These are the games that came with the direct-to-tv units from the mid 2000s, reprogrammed for NOAC.  They were programmed by a company called Nice Code Software.  You can find the roms on the archive sites and play them in an NES emulator (or an actual NES if you have a flash cartridge).

Edited by mr_me

I'm not calling an NoaC in general emulation, but in this case, the NoaC is being used as an emulator (although I guess the NoaC is still trying to emulate or imitate the NES - see below).

I'm assuming the NoaC is running NES code, and that NES code basically contains an emulator (or two or more in this case) that runs the ROM files.

For the ColecoVision Flashback, which I'm assuming is very similar, you can switch out the ROM files as long as you recalculate the checksum correctly - The NoaC is running an emulator that can run standard ColecoVision ROM files.

Completely off topic, but the word "emulator" can easily apply to FPGA versus processors. Both are trying to emulate or imitate or act the same as the specific hardware they are trying to replace. I get that many use emulate wrt processors, and other words wrt FPGAs, based on history or familiarity, but it doesn't mean it's wrong.

In this case there's no Intellivision or Atari 2600 emulation, the games are written for native NES/NOAC processors going back to the mid 2000s.  The Colecovision Flashback and Intellivision Flashback that came out in 2014, and most Atari Flashbacks (apart from the early editions) do run Colecovision/Intellivision/Atari 2600 software emulators running Colecovision/Intellivision/Atari 2600 rom files.  But that isn't the case here.

These are definitely the games ported by Nice Code Software to the original Atari flashback and a few of the Intellivision plug and plays. All of which used a NES-on-a-chip. You can find a summary their work and list of games here: https://bootleggames.fandom.com/wiki/Nice_Code_Software

Edited by Intellinate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hello and let me introduce myself. I am much more a fan of Famicom/NES/Pegasus and other clones than of Atari, but i still like retro games and computers of all kinds.

On 9/13/2022 at 7:29 PM, Intellinate said:

These are definitely the games ported by Nice Code Software to the original Atari flashback and a few of the Intellivision plug and plays. All of which used a NES-on-a-chip. You can find a summary their work and list of games here: https://bootleggames.fandom.com/wiki/Nice_Code_Software

The question is: do we have a hard proof evidence that Nice Code made these blasphemies? So far the bootleg wiki claims that Nice Code is believed to have programmed, and this is, as far as I understand, deducted from the fact that these games were use in other clone consoles bundled with nice code software. As if chinese pirate companies never borrowed from each other.

I tried querying Marty Goldstein and he has no info on who the subcontractor was.

Ok, sorry for double-posting but I have no privileges to edit the post. May mods merge them if necessary.

Scrapping the board for old topics I found out flashback was not the first mini-console to feature Atari games. Atari 10-in-1 and Activision 10-in-1 were both licenced, so it seemed obvious to me that Atari would contract DC-studios to expand what they already did for those devices. Thus, I spent my time looking for roms over the web and I found none. Youtube coverage of both shows major difference between 10-in-1 handheld games and their counterparts on flashback, showing that earlier games were more faithful to the original than later ones. Thus, I'm in favour of what was posted in here that 10-in-1 is not NOAC. But again, do we have an evidence of such claims? If not, having a board photo might b enough - i doubt 2001 NOAC could run without 7805 or some sort of ersatz, or eternal quartz, I ain't an expert, but I do know people with much more experience with fiddling with famiclones. Alternatively, capturing and analysing the signal might show if we do have 59,97 or 60,10 frames per second or line/dot count differences.

Going back to the flashback, which is for sure a NOAC...

We do know that DC-studios was involved with earlier Infogrames-licenced Atari P'n'P devices. And we know for sure they had know-how in doing 8-bit games, as they coded games for Game Boy, and founder of the studio seems to be C64 junkie with a long experience, so for sure they had 6502 assembly expert on board. Thus, maybe, they first did microcontroller versions of A2600 games for 10-in-1 games, and later were sub-contracted by Atari to make NOAC iterations? Sounds absurd, but who worked in a corporation laughs no more in the circus...

So, technically speaking, we might query people if they know anything about the case, and since we do have people who conducted interviews with pnp devs... I call you to the rescue, @onmode-ky

Nobody that I see posted that it wasn't an NOAC. It's undebatable these these recreations used a NES-on-a-chip for their hardware since the dumps work on a real NES system. 

Someone that I believe posts here at AtariAge did code an actual Intellivision emulator that runs on a NOAC, but the maker of those products decided to go a different direction for the Intellivision 10-in-1 and the 25-in-1 with newly commissioned ports that were poor imitations of the original games (Techno Source, iirc).

Edited by Atariboy

Dumps from atari flashback - yes, and I played them on Famicom. No argument here.

Dumps from atari 10-in-1 or activision 10-in-1 - can't find them. or a record of any1 playing them on actual NES/fami.

However, I do find 10-in-1 version of adventure different from flashback version, basing on YT footage.

just look at the map shape on water screens.

Not to say that Gravatar and Yar's revenge, two other games that are shared between two consoles, also have major differences.

I don't know about the Activision plug & play, but I can assure you that both of the Intellivision systems were NOAC based and that rom dumps are out there and included in the plug & play category on at least one extensive NES rom collection that's out there (dozens of plug & plays back in the 2000's used NOAC chips so it's quite a lengthy list). I've never came across Activision rom dumps so I assume that it was either not NOAC based or that they haven't yet been extracted and distributed by the community.

As for Adventure being different, that makes perfect sense since they're from different companies. The joystick system was from Jakks Pacific (unsure who programmed the recreations included) while the Atari Flashback ports were commissioned by the late Curt Vendel's Legacy Engineering that created and designed the Atari Flashback and Atari Flashback 2 (unsure who handled the programming of the recreations). Seems reasonable that no code was shared between the two.

Edited by Atariboy

I am aware of Intellivision ports. But I never mentioned Intellivision in my posts. I know the topic title includes them, but they're out of my scope for now. I'm for Atari Flashback here, not Intellivision. Sorry If I didn't state it clearly.

I was not knowing about the plug and play dump romset, except maybe Cah4e3's dumps. And I know quite plenty of NES rom dups out there. You got my curiosity, if you have any info on that, please share. Here or PM if we go too much OT.

EIT: I think I found it: https://ia802503.us.archive.org/view_archive.php?archive=/34/items/nes20/nes2/nes-split.zip

but it does not contain 10 in 1 jakk's games

55 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

Seems reasonable that no code was shared between the two.

Not really - why would Atari pay twice for porting a game they already had ported?

55 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

I've never came across Activision rom dumps so I assume that it was either not NOAC based or that they haven't yet been extracted and distributed by the community.

And the Atari and Activision 10-in-1 share the same menu screen. Both were done by DC-studios.

If Activision 10-in-1 is not NOAC, then Atari 10 in 1 is not as well.

Tu cut pointless arguments exchange - hard evidence that Jakk's 10-in-1 are NOAC is needed, so far I found none.

Same goes on who coded Flashback ports - people believe it's Nice Code, this version comes from clue-based investigation, not evidence-based.

Edited by Mcin

I thought that you were curious about both. My misunderstanding.

I don't know what Jakks Pacific used for the Atari 10-in-1 and have never seen it included in NES rom collections like I have the Flashback 1 roms. I mistakenly thought that you were talking about the Intellivision 10-in-1 when I mentioned it. Sorry for not reading more carefully (and I'm inclined to agree with your skepticism that this one was NOAC based; I don't think Jakks Pacific usually used NOAC's).

Lastly, they're different since they were done by two different companies. Jakks Pacific licensed Atari IP for the 10-in-1 from Atari SA, developed it independently (DC Studios), and published it themselves. The Atari Flashback was created by Curt Vendel's Legacy Engineering Group under contract for Atari SA, the publisher. Two independent products from two different companies.

In the event that the Jakks product did utilize a NOAC, it would be rather surprising if there was any code shared between these.

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...

Due to topic becoming stall, I'm broadening my query: http://bootleg.games/BGC_Forum/index.php?board=8.0

If an atariage Member own any of these consoles:

Activision 10-in-1

Atari 10-in-1

Atari Keychain plug and play

Blaze Atari mini arcade

please show up and I'll try to organize more research on these babies :)

Also, if anyone is in a good relation with onmode-ky please poke him to speak up, as I see none better educated in these pnp systems :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, an update. Not much I got to know.

I'm broadening my search with someone with ANY OF basic fun mini arcades; Centipede seems to be NOAC based, so maybe others contain unknown NES games as well.

Also, I'm calling @BSRSteve to the rescue. If Intellivision productios/Blue Sky Rangers were anyhow connected with 2003 plug and plays, please contact me, as they seem to be noac and very likely produced by the same company as the one that did the flashback, I'd be grateful for your help. Maybe one of BSR people know anything more?

• 2 months later...

I bought the Famicom version of this cartridge from AliExpress last year, and I can confirm it’s the same NES-on-a-chip reprogrammed games that were on the Atari Flashback (the first one that looked like a 7800) and the old Intellivision pliug and play D-pad games. The faux-Atari stuff is better but it’s all a bit crap if you’re familiar with the originals. The Intellivision remakes were neat to have 20 years ago but aren’t remotely faithful and only seem to have a few different sounds, all of which are annoying. I tried to dump it with my NT Mini Noir but it didn’t work for reasons I can’t recall, probably because it’s not a single ROM. 

Recommendation: stay away, even if you’re curious. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Your dumping process was a bit delayed, as when I jumped to the topic all games were already to be found in archive.org rompacks. Nevertheless, two games that seem to have been programmed for flashback, namely centipede (2600 version) and missile command appeared on later consoles and seem to never get dumped. As they seem to be available in the US, If you're willing to get your hands on em I can even send direct links. Wanted to do it myself, but 30USD transport and extra VAT got me off...

• 2 weeks later...

So, i ended up my research, all left I can do is to contact people from former TechnoSource, who were very likely involved. If one will help me to reach them on LinkedIn, I'd be grateful. I'm lacking Premium to send more messages 😕 If you have an idea for other means to reach them, I'm open.