IGNORED

Scrolling of screen

Jamesapp

Hello

i have a book on ti 99/4a graphics and sound. 

there is an advanced section that discusses screen scrolling. 

i just copied and ran a program that scrolls “this is a test of scrolling” on the screen 40 times without quotations

the program next asks if youd like to scroll the screen again

im interested in the way the ti scrolls text? And also the behavior of the cursor and input from keyboard etc. 

i have a nano peb and extended basic. I have no experience with assembly language. 

i just read online the input command has something to do with scrolling? 

there are a couple of more scrolling programs im gonna look at from the book

wondered if anyone can point me in a direction to learn the underpinnings of the cursor and scrolling behavior? 

it would also help me to try and understand ti basic in general. 

im not a great programmer. But im interested in how the os works. Are there levels to things like the interpreter or assembler? Is basic kind of on top of the os? 

anyway any info or thoughts would be great

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jamesapp said:

But im interested in how the os works. Are there levels to things like the interpreter or assembler? Is basic kind of on top of the os? 

Here is an overview of the TI-99 that might be of use.

https://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/architec.htm

Are there levels... ?   (Not an expert but here is how I understand the Software architecture)

The "O/S" is mostly the GPL (graphics programming language) as far as I know.  GPL is a virtual machine (VM) that has a claim to fame of running in a ridiculously small amount of RAM (<256 bytes) and using the Video processor RAM for everything else.  It uses byte codes for the VM instructions and so can squeeze a lot of program into a small space. 

On top of GPL, the "user interface" is TI-BASIC.  That's about it for "layers" I think.  Somebody else might have more insights.

Other cartridges may or may not use the GPL routines from the system. It's kind of up to the programmer.

The TI Assembler is a separate binary program. It converts Assembly language text to either a) tagged object code or b) a binary image

The loaders to get the object code or a binary program into RAM are in the "GROM" chip in the Editor Assembler Cartridge. (I believe)

Typically, when a binary program is loaded into memory it takes over the machine, so no O/S per se.

There are however routines in ROM that have some use for a binary program and there is also code in the disk controller card and other peripheral cards that are useable/callable by a program. 

That's a start.

• Like 5