IGNORED

H.E.R.O

RB5200

Cool. I loved this game as a kid but only played it on the 2600 but then.

I remember that you could "fry" that version of the game, and it would give you like 256 lives, so you could easily get through all the levels.

I love the upgraded graphics of the 5200 version.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 11:03 AM, RB5200 said:

OK just played a game of hero and holy smoke. This is without a doubt my personally best ever. I was just so proud to put up a score like this i just had to share it. Has anyone seen a score like this before. I know i never have. Share your scores of hero.

SANY0001.JPG

Impressive!  I mostly played the 8bit computer version, never got that high of score though!

On 9/23/2022 at 10:22 PM, moycon said:

Cool. I loved this game as a kid but only played it on the 2600 but then.

I remember that you could "fry" that version of the game, and it would give you like 256 lives, so you could easily get through all the levels.

I love the upgraded graphics of the 5200 version.

^^this

The 2600's are adequate... 

The C64's are over the top in trying to pretend to be "real"... the green is off and the screen looks too busy with extra dotty dotted detail.

The 5200/8-bit edition gets it perfectly with the best of both worlds. Texture and surreal color that make for a more enjoyable experience. IMHO, anyway.

• Like 3

On 9/25/2022 at 1:57 PM, leech said:

Impressive!  I mostly played the 8bit computer version, never got that high of score though!

Yeah, I was pretty impressed with that to. I've always loved this game, and when i do play it it's just kind of a normal, maybe hit level 16 or some wheres around there; or get lucky and hit 20. but this time there was something in the galaxy aligned just right, i just kept going and going (i better not owe energizer any royalties for that). But now that i know it's possible i'll be going for that million, Activision get that patch ready.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 3:17 AM, knievel1 said:

Anyone know if there's an end to River Raid? 

I thought for sure at 1000 bridges.....

River 1001.png

There is no end. The generator keeps generating the river forever. Unless there is an overflow or similar bug. One can keep running the demo mode in emulator and accelerate time.

On 10/4/2022 at 9:17 PM, knievel1 said:

Anyone know if there's an end to River Raid? 

I thought for sure at 1000 bridges.....

River 1001.png

Please tell me you used a cheat to do that?  I don't think I could ever even reach level 25 when playing on real hardware.

• 3 months later...

Have just beaten H.E.R.O

the pict. is just before the 1,000,000 mark. Once you hit that score it just goes back to the demo screen. So it for sure has now been beaten on a 5200 super system. YEAH !. I don't think that has ever been done on the 5200.

987385.jpg

• Like 8

On 9/27/2022 at 4:29 PM, CommodoreDecker said:

^^this

The 2600's are adequate... 

The C64's are over the top in trying to pretend to be "real"... the green is off and the screen looks too busy with extra dotty dotted detail.

The 5200/8-bit edition gets it perfectly with the best of both worlds. Texture and surreal color that make for a more enjoyable experience. IMHO, anyway.

Totally agree. The 8-bit/5200 version got it just right compared with the other versions.

One thing I always thought could use some slight improvements, though, is the lower-panel fonts and graphics.

So, I did a modest hack for the 8-bit and 5200 version some years ago. I also improved the explosion and enemy kill points font.

Nothing else was hacked in gameplay area, as I liked it all as it was. 

You can find the 5200 update here: Hero 5200 Update (and then just scroll up from there for the 8-bit version).

image.thumb.png.8fcd7e5e43358aafec91907fc8e317f7.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MrFish said:

One thing I always thought could use some slight improvements, though, is the lower-panel fonts and graphics.

So, I did a modest hack for the 8-bit and 5200 version some years ago. I also improved the explosion and enemy kill points font.

Nothing else was hacked in gameplay area, as I liked it all as it was. 

You can find the 5200 update here: Hero 5200 Update (and then just scroll up from there for the 8-bit version).

Just tried it out, looks good, Thanks

This thread motivated me to pick up a 5200 H.E.R.O. cart recently.  As I have the C-64, 2600 and Colecovision ports I am very much acclimated with using one-button controllers for both firing the laser and setting dynamite.  I nearly had a stroke when it occurred to my dumb self that the 5200 version requires TWO buttons.

Thankfully I do have a RetroGameBoyz keypad module and this game plays beautifully with a Sega Genesis controller using the B/C buttons.

I can't imagine anyone using the CX-52 controller to play H.E.R.O. (just way too much joystick precision is needed)  but cheers to those that do!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TeddyBear89 said:

I can't imagine anyone using the CX-52 controller to play H.E.R.O. (just way too much joystick precision is needed)  but cheers to those that do!

Well, I will say the 5200 controllers actually enhance the game play of hero with it's analog ability but it does take alot of practice.

Also not all the controllers play the same way, to many variables between controllers, (some play better than others) but if you select the right variables and put together a controller with them, you will have a cx52 controller that will play hero with extreme precision.

if you have more than 1 controller try them all out and find the one that gets you the best control.

and glad to hear you you got motivated to get the cart.

3 hours ago, RB5200 said:

Well, I will say the 5200 controllers actually enhance the game play of hero with it's analog ability but it does take alot of practice.

Also not all the controllers play the same way, to many variables between controllers, (some play better than others) but if you select the right variables and put together a controller with them, you will have a cx52 controller that will play hero with extreme precision.

That's really interesting!  I've been trying to play with the cx52 for the HSC without much luck, but you can't argue with the kind of enormous success you've achieved!  Guess I need to either practice more with the cx52, or just accept the -1 penalty and use the Wico instead.   

7 minutes ago, DamonicFury said:

That's really interesting!  I've been trying to play with the cx52 for the HSC without much luck, but you can't argue with the kind of enormous success you've achieved!  Guess I need to either practice more with the cx52, or just accept the -1 penalty and use the Wico instead.   

You wan't me to send ya my controller, lol

like i said if you have more than 1 controller, try them all and use the one that feels like it gives the most control. it does take practice and we all as people have  different styles.  some controllers just won't play hero good at all.

• Like 1