IGNORED

Blitz basic 2 max resolution

atari1byte

Typically 320x200 (or 320x256 for PAL machines) is the standard resolution used by most games on the Amiga. But it is possible to use higher resolutions. The Blitz manual isn't too bad, but is far from perfect and tends to ignore the fact that most of the magic numbers it gives you are actually things like OS constants, which means additional options are available if you simply add in the corresponding values from the OS developer documentation.

First things first though, are you using the latest version of Blitz 2? There have been a few updates since Blitz 2.1 was released, and you can get the latest version as an ISO image from http://ubb.plus/

Then, what resolution are you looking to use, and are you writing system-friendly or hardware-banging software? The two approaches are quite different, and each has its own way of doing higher resolutions. For system-friendly software, you can open an Intuition screen of any available resolution using the Screen command (including graphics card screens) with the appropriate flags set. If you're banging the hardware, there are two command libraries offered: the Slice library and the Display library. They aren't generally compatible, and the Display library is the newer one, intended to replace the Slice library. This can also open a high resolution display using the InitCopList command, again with the relevant flags set. Unfortunately, using interlace while banging the hardware isn't supported by either library, so while you can output up to 1280 pixels across, you're still limited to 256 pixels high without resorting to extra trips.

Just be aware that using higher resolutions will be slower on real hardware, especially on non-AGA machines.

2 hours ago, Daedalus2097 said:

Typically 320x200 (or 320x256 for PAL machines) is the standard resolution used by most games on the Amiga. But it is possible to use higher resolutions. The Blitz manual isn't too bad, but is far from perfect and tends to ignore the fact that most of the magic numbers it gives you are actually things like OS constants, which means additional options are available if you simply add in the corresponding values from the OS developer documentation.

First things first though, are you using the latest version of Blitz 2? There have been a few updates since Blitz 2.1 was released, and you can get the latest version as an ISO image from http://ubb.plus/

Then, what resolution are you looking to use, and are you writing system-friendly or hardware-banging software? The two approaches are quite different, and each has its own way of doing higher resolutions. For system-friendly software, you can open an Intuition screen of any available resolution using the Screen command (including graphics card screens) with the appropriate flags set. If you're banging the hardware, there are two command libraries offered: the Slice library and the Display library. They aren't generally compatible, and the Display library is the newer one, intended to replace the Slice library. This can also open a high resolution display using the InitCopList command, again with the relevant flags set. Unfortunately, using interlace while banging the hardware isn't supported by either library, so while you can output up to 1280 pixels across, you're still limited to 256 pixels high without resorting to extra trips.

Just be aware that using higher resolutions will be slower on real hardware, especially on non-AGA machines.

Hi!
Then 640x480 resolution is enough for me!
Yes I use vesion 2.1
Unfortunately of the Amiga I don't know anything!
I only read that it can support high resolutions.
I have to learn everything about the Amiga!
I use in emulation a zorro III card with 256 mb.
Recommended on the internet.
I come from Atari ST.
Where can I find the explanation of the flags?

Thank you.

Okay, first I need to clarify something: Do you mean you want the Blitz Basic editor to open in a larger resolution? Or do you want your code to open a larger resolution screen? By default Blitz Basic will open a 640x200 (NTSC) or 640x256 (PAL) screen for the editor. If you're using the original release of Blitz Basic 2.1, the editor it comes with (called Ted) is pretty primitive as it is intended for use on older Amigas, and from memory it is a fixed resolution. On the extras disk there's a much better editor called SuperTed (along with a much better debugger and much better command library) which I strongly recommend you install. If you use the CD ISO that I linked to, they will be installed by default. SuperTed will open the same resolution screen that Workbench uses, so whatever you choose in Workbench will be copied. Personally I use 1920x1200 :)

If you mean you want your code to open a different screen resolution, that's a different story. The Amiga natively uses screens that are 200 pixels (NTSC) or 256 pixels (PAL) tall. Interlacing the modes doubles these for a 400 or 512 pixel tall screenmode, and monitor drivers allow you to use any other screenmodes the hardware can handle, e.g. graphics card modes and AGA modes, but these are difficult to use when accessing the hardware directly. The simplest way to code for these screenmodes is to use the OS instead, and to do this you use the Screen command. The help page for the command (press Shift+help with the cursor on the word Screen) will list the main flags used.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 11:36 PM, Daedalus2097 said:

Okay, first I need to clarify something: Do you mean you want the Blitz Basic editor to open in a larger resolution? Or do you want your code to open a larger resolution screen? By default Blitz Basic will open a 640x200 (NTSC) or 640x256 (PAL) screen for the editor. If you're using the original release of Blitz Basic 2.1, the editor it comes with (called Ted) is pretty primitive as it is intended for use on older Amigas, and from memory it is a fixed resolution. On the extras disk there's a much better editor called SuperTed (along with a much better debugger and much better command library) which I strongly recommend you install. If you use the CD ISO that I linked to, they will be installed by default. SuperTed will open the same resolution screen that Workbench uses, so whatever you choose in Workbench will be copied. Personally I use 1920x1200 :)

If you mean you want your code to open a different screen resolution, that's a different story. The Amiga natively uses screens that are 200 pixels (NTSC) or 256 pixels (PAL) tall. Interlacing the modes doubles these for a 400 or 512 pixel tall screenmode, and monitor drivers allow you to use any other screenmodes the hardware can handle, e.g. graphics card modes and AGA modes, but these are difficult to use when accessing the hardware directly. The simplest way to code for these screenmodes is to use the OS instead, and to do this you use the Screen command. The help page for the command (press Shift+help with the cursor on the word Screen) will list the main flags used.

Thank you!