IGNORED

Spartados 3.2d + S-drive Max not booting (kinda)

Ricky Spanish

It absolutely will not boot up at the defaultSIO at $06 69000, but will boot at anything slower than $09 56000. So I saved the settings [CONTROL]+W then Y. It will boot just fine. UNTIL, I disconnect the power on the S-Drive, plug it back in boot up and it times out maybe 5 seconds into the load. I boot up D0, check the settings and it's still at $09 56000. I'll press the [INVERT] to boot it and it load just fine. So the question(s) is this the fault of the S-drive / spartados / or me ? Thanks.

10 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

It absolutely will not boot up at the defaultSIO at $06 69000, but will boot at anything slower than $09 56000. So I saved the settings [CONTROL]+W then Y. It will boot just fine. UNTIL, I disconnect the power on the S-Drive, plug it back in boot up and it times out maybe 5 seconds into the load. I boot up D0, check the settings and it's still at $09 56000. I'll press the [INVERT] to boot it and it load just fine. So the question(s) is this the fault of the S-drive / spartados / or me ? Thanks.

Your computer most likely has the capacitors on the DATA_IN/DATA_OUT signals that cause issues with hi-speed I/O.

13 hours ago, BillC said:

Your computer most likely has the capacitors on the DATA_IN/DATA_OUT signals that cause issues with hi-speed I/O.

No, as any other .atr / .atx / .xex / .cas etc. work perfectly fine. Even at the fastest SIO setting. So I think @bf2k+ is correct.

I don't think that what I said necessarily had anything to do with your problem, although I guess the age thing might.  I was just giving a general warning about an issue that 3.2d is well-known for.  That issue bit me more than once back in the 80's with my MIOs. 

4 hours ago, bf2k+ said:

I don't think that what I said necessarily had anything to do with your problem, although I guess the age thing might.  I was just giving a general warning about an issue that 3.2d is well-known for.  That issue bit me more than once back in the 80's with my MIOs. 

I guess I was lucky that I switched to SpartaDOS X soon after it was released, I never had my HDD(Seagate ST251 MFM/Adaptec 4000 or 4000A) corrupted.

SpartaDOS 3.2x was also released for compatibility with BASIC XE, when not using BASIC XE SpartaDOS 2.3x leaves more RAM available.

Does the machine have any capability of using lower SIO divisors? SpartaDOS X has a high-speed SIO driver built in, and since SDX boots from ROM and not disk, it's able to install said driver before attempting any communication with a SIO-attached peripheral. A DOS which boots from disk, however, relies on the OS SIO routines, which are not compatible with the highest transfer speeds. There are several options: high-speed patched operating system and the PBI-based HSIO driver in Ultimate 1MB being but two of them.

• 7 months later...
On 9/20/2022 at 3:59 PM, Ricky Spanish said:

UNTIL, I disconnect the power on the S-Drive, plug it back in boot up and it times out maybe 5 seconds into the load.

Still  having this problem. Pity,  cause I really want to use spartados w/ Badic XE + extensions :( 

Edited by Ricky Spanish
added info

BASE SIO at 19200 once it loads high speed drivers then it can switch to 38400 or 57600.

BASIC XE and it's Disk might need the slower speed at load in or how the SDRIVE handles it, if it still fails, I'd try a different drive or storage device.

Also consider BasicXE was made with OSS DOS XL/XE in mind and AtariDos... If you still have SPARTADOS issues... try BASIC XE 7.2

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

BASE SIO at 19200 once it loads high speed drivers then it can switch to 38400 or 57600.

BASIC XE and it's Disk might need the slower speed at load in or how the SDRIVE handles it, if it still fails, I'd try a different drive or storage device.

Also consider BasicXE was made with OSS DOS XL/XE in mind and AtariDos... If you still have SPARTADOS issues... try BASIC XE 7.2

Loading basic Xe extensions disk isn't a problem with spartados 3.2. I copied the extension & math file and it loads just fine. Even just loading SD 3.2 by itself, once I power off the SDdrive max, then power it up again, I have to go through D0 first then hit the [INVERSE] to load it. It won't load from D1.

And BXE 7.2 is a ROM. The Sdrive doesn't support ROM.

BASIC XE is a cartridge, it is a ROM...

How about we take a shot at things another way, the problem is booting SpartaDos off of the SDRIVE?

Then what SDRIVE? there are a few, what revsision firmware, what revision Loader menu?

What density and size of disk? 90k 127k 180k 360k?

etc.

1 minute ago, _The Doctor__ said:

BASIC XE is a cartridge, it is a ROM...

How about we take a shot at things another way, the problem is booting SpartaDos off of the SDRIVE?

Then what SDRIVE? there are a few, what revsision firmware, what revision Loader menu?

What density and size of disk? 90k 127k 180k 360k?

etc.

I have a 4-in-1 cart. OSS Basic XE, OSS Basic XL, Action!, Mac/65

I have a Sdrive Max, bought last year from the brewing company. I'm assuming the latest. 

Disk density is 180KB, which the Sdrive Max can read no problem.

https://github.com/kbr-net/sdrive-max/releases/tag/V1.3

about 5 months ago double density and other issues were addressed, you may need to reprogram the sdrive max. It is the 1.3Freedom release. Not just v1.3bwhatever

I hope the SDRIVE max is externally powered as well

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

about 5 months ago double density and other issues were addressed, you may need to reprogram the sdrive max. It is the 1.3Freedom release. Not just v1.3bwhatever

Found the Xloader on github, but when I hook up my MAX to the PC via usb the Xloader doesn't ave the 'UNO' option.

Why 3.2d?  It has a bad habit of messing up drives.  I'd never use it for anything...  

Why not 3.2g for real hardware; 3.3a for emulator use.  I use one of these two depending on what I am doing.  There is also 3.3b for real hardware.