IGNORED

Spartados 3.2d + S-drive Max not booting (kinda)

Ricky Spanish

1 hour ago, bf2k+ said:

Why 3.2d? 

wasn't that the last disk version by ICD? Thought everything after that was cart by FTe was worse to use ?

With 3.2G extension hangs & you need to do a warm reset. <- scratch that. Got 3.2G working.

Spartados 1.1 there's no way of successfully using Basic XE extensions. 

Edited by Ricky Spanish
added info

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

there are corrected td lines etc. around...

Round and round.. What goes around comes around.. I'll tell you why..

Fixed. Thanks @_The Doctor__

20230511_235305_HDR.thumb.jpg.8cdbc17deb6c3d27c6da39f645f02731.jpg

I must say, I now almost have my 1200XL configured almost the way I want. 

Edited by Ricky Spanish
clarity

22 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

wasn't that the last disk version by ICD? Thought everything after that was cart by FTe was worse to use ?

With 3.2G extension hangs & you need to do a warm reset. <- scratch that. Got 3.2G working.

Spartados 1.1 there's no way of successfully using Basic XE extensions. 

Yes it was the last version released by ICD.  All subsequent 3.x versions were also disk based. In fact I know of no cart version before SDX (v4), but I could be wrong... maybe a third party made one.  After having a couple of HDs scrambled by 3.2d, I did away with it and moved to FTe versions (or the 3.3a & b versions.)

30 minutes ago, bf2k+ said:

No idea... I've never used TB myself.

Found one on the serious computerist website but it's a .XEX and when you type DOS it goes straight to the 1200XL logo screen. 

So I assume you have to add it to spartados 3.2q which really I have zero clue on how to do.

12 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Found one on the serious computerist website but it's a .XEX and when you type DOS it goes straight to the 1200XL logo screen. 

Did you boot a DOS before typing DOS?

On 5/13/2023 at 6:08 PM, Ricky Spanish said:

K tried sparta w/ TBLX that's a no go.

sparta w/ BASIC XE locks the computer when the reset key is used after the prog ended with many programs that are memory intensive.

Back to DOS 2.5 

Hi!

My recommendation, just use disk based BW-DOS, or the cart based SDX.

BW-DOS is smaller than Sparta 3.* and does not use the RAM under ROM, so it is compatible with TBXL and BASIC XE.

Download an ATR with BW-DOS and TBXL here: https://github.com/dmsc/turbo-dis/releases/tag/v2021.11.06

Have fun!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dmsc said:

and does not use the RAM under ROM, so it is compatible with TBXL and BASIC XE.

This might be a stupid question, but isn't the 1200XL 'Ram under Rom' very small ? Around 200-400 bytes ?

Also with BW-DOS, how do you access it ? I type

DOS & when D1: whatever I type shows error 170. 

Edited by Ricky Spanish
added info

since this has been taking making strange twists, are you making disks in the traditional way where each DOS is being booted from it's natively formatted disk and then that disk is being used to create format, initialize, and write it's own files?

I have seen folks try to copy different DOS files to disks formatted and initialized by other DOS disks with differing file systems and layouts, this almost always led to issues and failure.

Each DOS links things together slightly differently.

With SPARTA simply copying a DOS file over doesn't get the job done as you must issue the BOOT command to take the version you want and set the bootstrap to grab it.

Some have it worded as 'write' DOS files in their menu... which takes the version running and it's current set up/config and lays that down on the disk.

Edited by _The Doctor__

7 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

since this has been taking making strange twists, are you making disks in the traditional way where each DOS is being booted from it's natively formatted disk and then that disk is being used to create format, initialize, and write it's own files?

I have seen folks try to copy different DOS files to disks formatted and initialized by other DOS disks with differing file systems and layouts, this almost always led to issues and failure.

Each DOS links things together slightly differently.

With SPARTA simply copying a DOS file over doesn't get the job done as you must issue the BOOT command to take the version you want and set the bootstrap to grab it.

Some have it worded as 'write' DOS files in their menu... which takes the version running and it's current set up/config and lays that down on the disk.

Can't to anything with Bw-DOS as per the link above. 

That said, back to ATARI DOS 2.5. I give it 4.75 outta 5 stars.

Spartados I give it 4.5 outta 5, cause it doesn't play nice w/ TBXL or BASIC XE.

My Dos 2 outta 5. Maybe a 1.5... 

Hi!

On 5/14/2023 at 11:43 PM, Ricky Spanish said:

This might be a stupid question, but isn't the 1200XL 'Ram under Rom' very small ? Around 200-400 bytes ?

The RAM under ROM is from $C000 to $CFFF and $D800 to $FFFF, 14KByte in total.

On 5/14/2023 at 11:43 PM, Ricky Spanish said:

Also with BW-DOS, how do you access it ? I type

DOS & when D1: whatever I type shows error 170. 

You need to read the manual: https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=BEWE DOS 1.30 Manual 

The disk that I attached does not have the external commands, only COPY is included. You need the master disk to access all commands, download also from atariwiki.org.

Have Fun!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dmsc said:

The RAM under ROM is from $C000 to $CFFF and $D800 to $FFFF, 14KByte in total.

Isn't that from the 800XL? 

18 minutes ago, dmsc said:

The disk that I attached does not have the external commands, only COPY is included. You need the master disk to access all commands, download also from atariwiki.org.

I moved on to RealDos.

Hi!

2 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Isn't that from the 800XL? 

No, the 1200XL was the first 8-bit Atari to have 64K available, instead of the 48K max of the 400/800.

2 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I moved on to RealDos.

Your loss - IMHO,  BW-DOS is much better and smaller - and have the advantages of being legally available and running TBXL, as it does not use the RAM under the OS ROM.

Have Fun!