IGNORED

HSC19 R14: CENTIPEDE + NEW GAMES SELECTION

therealbountybob

CENTIPEDE + NEW GAMES SELECTION!

Keeping everyone happy it's the old with the new here in the HSC :)

Centipede

1982 (final A8 version) this version not HSC played in ages! Supports Trak-Ball in full TB mode too :love:

Centipede (1982)

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=1528

New games selection

Additional new games can be found on fandal's news archive, any can be played since the last HSC round-up last season are ok but please list all your scores in alphabetical order each time you post to save me lots of searching around. Comments on the games good too the programmers may be watching !!

https://a8.fandal.cz/index.php

Cacorm looks like it might be a goodie?!

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=8230

Dungoneer suggested by RT :thumbsup:

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=8225

Pac Time

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=8266

Aerial

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=8210

Cavit

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=8212

CacormDungeoneerPac TimeAerial

Cavit

Ok, since I didn't play any games previously this week, I'll start off this round with some Sunday evening scores:

Centipede - 27779 pts

Aerial - 12500 pts

Cacorm - 24700 pts

It appears that Fandal is not familiar with Inufuto as he has written ? on author. Those of us who hang around in other parts of the forum are quite familiar with Inufuto by now, after his massive effort to not only create ~10 different games, similar but not exact clones of existing games, but also the ability to port each of those games to about 40 different formats, all sorts of consoles and home computers! Needless to say, there are other computers out there far less capable than the Atari 8-bit is, and since he wants the ports to look and behave in the same way across all formats, it means the more advanced ones (obviously this includes the C64 etc as well) will get rather "simple" looking games with coarse scrolling, while the lower end systems will get better games than they ever could imagine. I understand that in the beginning he had trouble getting Player/Missile Graphics to work so he implemented software sprites on the A8 too, but in the later games he got PMG to work.

The reason I'm writing this paragraph of text is of course not to criticize his work, since it generally is very good, but so other HSC members won't get shocked if new games made in 2021/2022 look like something Atari 8-bit games got away with in 1984.

aerial-12500.thumb.jpg.1c6699419e2f80d2a5ce5f1aeda5258a.jpg

cacorm-24700.thumb.jpg.c1d2cfa432f5e2d67451d417f7580988.jpg

centipede-27779.thumb.jpg.2d3702c07d7c1412d590d2bc359be895.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, carlsson said:

Ok, since I didn't play any games previously this week, I'll start off this round with some Sunday evening scores:

Centipede - 27779 pts

Aerial - 12500 pts

Cacorm - 24700 pts

It appears that Fandal is not familiar with Inufuto as he has written ? on author. Those of us who hang around in other parts of the forum are quite familiar with Inufuto by now, after his massive effort to not only create ~10 different games, similar but not exact clones of existing games, but also the ability to port each of those games to about 40 different formats, all sorts of consoles and home computers! Needless to say, there are other computers out there far less capable than the Atari 8-bit is, and since he wants the ports to look and behave in the same way across all formats, it means the more advanced ones (obviously this includes the C64 etc as well) will get rather "simple" looking games with coarse scrolling, while the lower end systems will get better games than they ever could imagine. I understand that in the beginning he had trouble getting Player/Missile Graphics to work so he implemented software sprites on the A8 too, but in the later games he got PMG to work.

The reason I'm writing this paragraph of text is of course not to criticize his work, since it generally is very good, but so other HSC members won't get shocked if new games made in 2021/2022 look like something Atari 8-bit games got away with in 1984.

Thank Carlsson, very interesting to read. I guess you're saying I've picked several of Infuto's games as I just looked at screenshots and though they had the classic touch! Funny then they are up against an original classic :D Of course it's all about the gameplay so they have no excuses !!

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 1:08 PM, therealbountybob said:

the last HSC round-up last season

For reference, that was October 2021. Since then, Fandal has 61 new games (or ports of old games) in the archive, plus that perhaps there are new games not yet added to the site. I doubt anyone will want to wade through all of those but perhaps we'll find a few of the most competitive.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 1:08 PM, therealbountybob said:

Centipede

(...) Supports Trak-Ball in full TB mode too :love:

Are you sure? I took out my trackball (for the first time in this century) and tried it with the original cartridge from ATARI and the xex from fandal. Both versions just work in joystick-mode. Or is there a "secret" key to press?

20220927_071657_HDR.thumb.jpg.ada1119a45dd9c3df194c165ffbf317f.jpg

BTW, it makes so much fun to use the trackball ;-) We should play MissileCommand in one of the follwing rounds.

Edited by MichaG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MichaG said:

Or is there a "secret" key to press?

I think it's CTRL + T to put the game in trackball mode   Nope, thats for missile command.
Looks like Centipede was hacked to use a Trackball as the original release did not support it 🤷‍♂️ 
Make sure you are using the correct version (and maybe try CTRL + T ?)

Edited by mimo

1 minute ago, MichaG said:

I've tried this in several situations, nothing happened. In Missile Command, CTRL + T works...

I was just editing my post to correct myself. I'll try and do some mere digging, but I should be working :)

On 9/27/2022 at 4:18 PM, MichaG said:

Here I found a tp-version of Centipede: 

EDIT: It's a different version, maybe 5200-port? But it works with tb. For the HSC, I will continue to play the "original" game.

Yes I just found that one too, not sure if the A8 Version has a hack to add TB oh well next time we can play the 5200 one or Millipede!!

PLAY THE (FINAL) 1982 A8 VERSION OF CENTIPEDE LINK ON THE FIRST POST EVERYONE!

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 1

Aerial- 13,600 (level 4)

Cavit- 10,350 (level 7)

Centipede- 74,157

Dungeoneer- 205 (level 6)

Centipede is great.  Too bad no trackball mode. 

Dungeoneer is impressive graphically as well as game play.   

Cavit is a good puzzle game.  Sort of like dig dug but have to plan your path as you can't kill the baddies.

20220929_213934.jpg

20220929_221813.jpg

20220929_222807.jpg

20220929_223859.jpg

Edited by AtariSphinx
Added more games
  • Like 2

Cacorm - 10,000 (level 7)

Seems to be an issue with this one.  When you reach level 4 the screen shakes.  It is still playable but annoying.   It continues through level 6.  Once you hit level 7 the screen is fine once again.  Playing on an NTSC machine.  Probably won't play this one any more as hurts your eyes.

It is though a really fun puzzle game.

20220929_220719.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, AtariSphinx said:

Cacorm - When you reach level 4 the screen shakes.  It is still playable but annoying.   It continues through level 6.  Once you hit level 7 the screen is fine once again.  Playing on an NTSC machine.  Probably won't play this one any more as hurts your eyes.

I didn't observe any of this on PAL 130XE (and I got to stage 9). I might try my NTSC 800 to see if it shakes for me too. Since Japan is NTSC, I would expect issues the other way around.

• Thanks 1

Here are my first offerings:

Ariel:  12,650

Cacorm:  4,550

Cavit:  18,920

Pac-Time:  2,162

At first, these games seemed kind of boring, but after giving them each a fair shot, I'm really liking them!  Trying to figure out why there are different colored dots in Pac-Time.  There also seems to be a bar that tracks how many of each dot you eat.  It adds and subtracts based on how many you eat in a row.  Can't seem to figure out the significance of that.

Ariel 12650.png

Cacorm 4550.png

Cavit 18920.png

PacTime 2162.png

• Like 2

Pac-Time:  5,540!  I actually read the manual.  If you eat more than 5 of one color at a time, the timer runs faster.  So, make sure you keep a balance of green and pink dots.  It's not a big deal in the first few rounds, but they give you less and less time as the levels progress.

PacTime 5540.png

• Like 2

Centipede - 28137 pts

I'm sorry to report another issue with Cacorm, in that there doesn't seem to be a way to reset stage after game over, meaning you will start your next game on the stage where you died. This affects both difficulty and scoring. I scored 25250 pts, starting on stage 9 and finishing on stage 17. It means in order to play this game properly, you need to reboot each time. Perhaps I can reach Inufuto to ask about this, though it requires the English -> Japanese translation to be satisfactory.

centipede-28137.thumb.jpg.6d36209270479302d7b537815629c0f0.jpg

• Like 2