IGNORED

Games where the 7800 came out on top

DracIsBack

I've recently begun collecting NES titles and have started to notice that the claim of NES games "always being better" than the respective 7800 versions doesn't seem to be true.

Now mind you, this is subjective in many cases, but nonetheless, the NES versions of games aren't always better looking or better playing.

In some cases, the NES definitely wins. DOUBLE DRAGON comes to mind ... the 7800 is a graphical disappointment and has many gameplay flaws. The NES version has many flaws in terms of how it follows the arcade, but has better graphics, better control and (IMO) is more fun. The 7800 version redeems itself by following the arcade, adding a two player mode and the graphics in the last level are pretty good, but it lags.

RAMPAGE is also better on the NES in terms of graphics and sound, though not by much. The SMS version whips both pretty badly. On the other hand, the 7800 version has Ralph. LOL.

Then there are some games that seem pretty close. The Donkey Kong games look and play almost the same, though the 7800's sound is pretty annoying.

There are also some titles, where I prefer the 7800 version to the NES version. Examples include:

1. Xenophobe. Better graphics and easier to control on the 7800. The NES version does have some nice additional play elements though.

2. Commando. The graphics are darker on the 7800, but less cartooney, the sprites less flickery and the scrolling less glitchy. Even the music is better, IMO, thanks to a POKEY chip.

3. WInter Games. Looks better on the 7800 and it doesn't have that stupid figure skating event than the NES version has.

How about Ms. PacMan? The 7800 version was programmed by the guy who designed and programmed the original arcade version! You can't get better than that!

I actually liked the NES version of Commando better. I can reach the end on the NES version, but not on the 7800. Not even on the Intellivision version.

I enjoy both the DK games and mario more on the 7800. The sounds are terrible but the play is better imho.

Galaga on the hardest setting is better on the 7800.

Havent played NES ms pacman but the 7800 version is the best i've played in comparison to other systems.

For the NES at this stage i would say that kung fu master is alot better, Ive only played 7800 xevious on emulation but i prefer that as well.

No offense but mario bros for the 7800 just makes me want to pull my teeth out.

Dk and Dk Jr just don't play right.

Ms-Pacman is a good game in it's own right but the monsters do not even come close to acting like they are supposed to. (for example they do not go to their respective corners like they are supposed to). The mazes are incorrect. The location of the power dots on the first maze are off, the maze is not lined up correctly on the second making it difficult to traverse (but not impossible), the third maze is off as well making it exgtremely difficult to navigate certain sections. I barely made it to the fourth to really be able to critique it. The bonk sound at the ending of the first commercial is missing. The timing on the second commercial is off. The background sound is boderline annoying.

Joust is pretty cool, but I really miss being able to bounce off the top of the screen and that pteridactle is insane!! I plan on playing this some more. I think once I get more used to the controls it'll be even more fun.

I just KNEW someone was going to say Galaga! I can't imagine WHY some people prefer it on the 7800, though. Much of Galaga's charm is derived from its crisp graphics and mesmerizing enemy flight patterns, and those qualities are severely compromised in the 7800 version of the game. It just looks so primitive, especially in comparison to the arcade game but also when compared to its vastly superior NES counterpart.

Also, doesn't the 7800 version of the game crash after the 11th or 12th round? That's yet another reason why the NES version comes out on top... it's much more stable, allowing you to reach all the bonus rounds.

JR

7800 one doesn't crash at round 11. What happens is it suffers some slowdown as the aliens come in at the beginning of the wave. That's it. As a kid I didn't even care, and as an adult i still don't. Just don't see why people say it "kills the game".

7800 had a better Rampage, Xevious, Xenophobe, Commando, Ballblazer, Ikari Warriors(if you ask me), Ms. Pac-Man is paced much better, Double Dragon...DK, DK jr, and Mario Bros aren't really better or worse then the NES ones in my experience.

The problem the nes has is alot of its arcade ports have, well, liberties taken. Such as the RPG aspects of Double Dragon (yuck!), or Rampage's lack of Ralph. About the closest I saw to that on the 7800 was Commando, and I actually think those took the game from mindless shootemup to a fantastic shootemup.

The reason i dont like the NES galaga as much as the 7800 is that the score is on the side of the screen. It just doesnt seem to centre right for me and the playfield seems squished.

I love the NES (famicom in my case), But the only arcade ports i truly like are mappy, starforce, galaxian and road fighter.

What about CENTIPEDE there are options there on the 7800 version that aren't found any where like co-op and vs. mode.

Heres something you might not know according to Namco who I called once to find out how to access the hidden Assualt game in Namco Museum Vol. 4 PS1. To my surprise I found I was talking to a classic gamer, who knew things. It seems the arcade version of Centipede was originally was planned as a 2 player game and when Atari wanted Centipede to come to the 7800. Namco said one one condiction and that was to have the options that never appeard in but was planned for the arcade version.

What about CENTIPEDE there are options there on the 7800 version that aren't found any where like co-op and vs. mode.  

Heres something you might not know according to Namco who I called once to find out how to access the hidden Assualt game in Namco Museum Vol. 4 PS1. To my surprise I found I was talking to a classic gamer, who knew things. It seems the arcade version of Centipede was originally was planned as a 2 player game and when Atari wanted Centipede to come to the 7800. Namco said one one condiction and that was to have the options that never appeard in but was planned for the arcade version.

Why would Atari take orders from Namco for a port of a game Atari made?

• 3 weeks later...
How about Ms. PacMan? The 7800 version was programmed by the guy who designed and programmed the original arcade version! You can't get better than that!

As mentioned by Vic George 2K3, there were two versions of the NES port of Ms. Pac-Man; a 1990 Tengen release and a 1993 Namco Hometek release. As far as playability, the 7800 port is as good as either one (I would actually give it an edge over the 1993 Namco Hometek release just because that port is so slow). Graphics and sound would have to go to the NES ports though, in particular, the 1990 Tengen release which is virtually identical to the arcade in terms of graphics although the sound, while being better than the 7800, is not on par with the arcade version.

One thing about the Tengen release that some people may not like is that in an effort to preserve the aspect ratio of the arcade machine (vertical monitor) and at the same time provide a full screen on a standard [horizontal] television set; they only show about 3/4 of the screen at a time and as you move towards the part of the maze that is off-screen, the screen scrolls to display it before you get there.

Here are some screen shots:

Atari 7800 - Atari 1987

7800.jpg

NES - Namco Hometek 1993

nes_namco.jpg

NES - Tengen 1990

nes_tengen.jpg

Arcade - Midway 1981

arcade.jpg

Shows you what I know. :roll: I always assumed that Namco simply purchased the code from Tengen for the later release. (I apparently have never played the Namco version). Am I correct in recalling that Tengen was sued and then legally disallowed to publish for the NES? Furthermore, wasn’t it a battle over licensing fees?

I just played them all back to back several times. I really hate the Namco Hometek NES release I have decided. It is Godawful slow and the sounds are jacked. The Tengen NES release is extremely well done and as far as game play and graphics, it is as close to the arcade as you are going to get on NES hardware. The sound is less impressive than I remember though. The surprise here is that the 7800 port has the best sound out of the three (still no where near the excellent sound of the arcade machine though). That isn't the way I remember it but it is very apparent when played back to back with the NES ports. It also seems to play slightly faster than the Tengen port and the arcade. Its graphics are a little sketchy but that doesn't really take much away from it since it plays so well.

If the Arcade is a 10 for graphics, sound and game play, I would give the Tengen release a 9 for graphics and a 5 for sound. I would give the Atari 7800 version a 6 for graphics and a 7 for sound. I would give them both a 9 for game play.

The Namco Hometek version I would give a 7 for graphics, a 4 for sound and a 4 for the slow-motion game play.

Am I correct in recalling that Tengen was sued and then legally disallowed to publish for the NES?  Furthermore, wasn’t it a battle over licensing fees?
Not really.

Nintendo sued and killed Tengen Tetris.

They were unable to kill Tengen themselves legally(nothing wrong with reverse-engineering the lockout chip), so they used the fact that they were Nintendo and owner of 95% of the video game industry to squish Tengen through less legal means.

Specifically, they asked retailers to not carry Tengen games because they were not built to Nintendo's exacting standards and hurt Nintendo's reputation. Retailers that continued to sell Tengen games started having shipments get lost, particularly around the holidays.

Yup. Part of Nintendo's legendary squeeze tactics. They also threatened anybody who carried American Video or Color Dreams games, although obviously some retailers took the risk since you can still find plenty of these games in today's aftermarket (although they are usually slightly to largely more rare than official manufactured games).