IGNORED

Help on SB PS2 to Atari 5200 board

WicoKid

I had posted this at the end of the original thread that Baker started regarding his PS2 controller board but didn't want to hijack that thread 2 years later for specific unrelated troubleshooting; if a moderator sees this please remove my post from October 8th from that original thread. 

Late as usual but I had successfully built one of SBaker's single stick controllers (ATTiny85) and was well motivated to build this converter. I've has it a assembled for several months but cannot get it to work; first I thought it was the programming of the ATTiny861A but now not so sure. I oriented the PS2 connector based on the first picture SBaker  posted of it on this thread, however, when I look at Ravik's posts, it looks like I've got it backwards. My board starts, pauses, resets and * and # all work; the cursor on missile command is at the bottom right of the screen and there is no response at all to moving the sticks on the PS2 controller. The is no LED lighting on the PS2 controller. To anyone who has one of these working: 

1) Is the PS2 connector oriented correctly in this pic

2) Should the LED come on the PS2 controller when pressing the analog button?

3) I am getting no voltage on pin 5 of the PS2 Connector....are there any obvious problems with build as pictured?

Thank you.

PS2Adapt.thumb.jpg.8ddc3f4dd03c6220afe345251608144f.jpg

Will update once then stop unless other suggestions....yes, it does look like the connector is on backwards as determined by pin 4 (ground); so I am  in the process of putting a header on and making a Dupont to PS2 cable.

I have this voltage regular  https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/stmicroelectronics/LD1117AV33/586006?s=N4IgTCBcDaICwE4DsBaAjHAHAVhbgdgCYgC6AvkA; its a different part number but still a one amp 3 v regulator but max input of 15 volts vs 7.5 of the regulator on the BOM(https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/texas-instruments/LM3940IT-3-3-NOPB/308006). I am measuring 4.3 volts coming into the board from the Atari (tested on 2 machines and replaced the voltage regulator) but only 0.67 volts coming out of the regulator, even after removing capacitor 10; will the max voltage make that much of a difference or should I still get the 3.3 v output?

Edited by WicoKid
  • Like 1