IGNORED

Finally had my Intellivoice II case made

JohnPCAE

The walls are too thin for filament printing (according to one manufacturer), so SLS is required. It's not cheap. I went with Shapeways, and the result is not disappointing. The fit is perfect. Now I have to design a circuit board for it.

IMG_2192.JPG

IMG_2194.JPG

Edited by JohnPCAE
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Here is a ZIP of the .STL model files for the case. Because of the thin walls, don't expect filament printing to work. According to JLCPCB, it will likely result in sagging and deformation. So I went with Shapeways and their selective laser sintering (SLS) process. For materials I chose their nylon plastic with no finishing. Be warned, the four pieces cost me over $400 to make. The fit, though, is absolutely perfect and I can see no layer lines. The quality is outstanding.

Intellivoice_II.zip

Edited by JohnPCAE
  • Thanks 4

On 10/11/2022 at 5:18 PM, JohnPCAE said:

The walls are too thin for filament printing (according to one manufacturer), so SLS is required. It's not cheap. I went with Shapeways, and the result is not disappointing. The fit is perfect. Now I have to design a circuit board for it.

IMG_2192.JPG

IMG_2194.JPG

She’s beautiful! 

It's getting there. I still need to do the silkscreen. This will probably undergo a few iterations before I have a final version. The main issue is precise positioning of the volume potentiometer and the mounting holes. Once it's finalized I'll release the board design and gerber files. This will use a two-board design like the ECS and the ACC. I've already done the daughterboard that plugs into the Master Component and even ordered one.

Intellivoice_II_board_incomplete.png

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

$400? Holy moley, that's insane!

That's awesome though. Really wish I had a 3d printer.. I still want to do nano Intellivoice project from quite a few years back. 😎

I'm still quietly making refinements to the NanoVoice board, as well. Perhaps I'll release what I have.

• Like 1

Here is my latest NanoVoice revision. It has better trace routing and makes a change to the design. The original Intellivoice uses 74LS12 chips, which are pretty much made of unobtainium today. I've changed the design to use readily-available 74LS10 chips instead, which also requires removing pull-up resistors R2, R4, and R5. I'm at a loss to understand why Mattel used open-collector 74LS12 chips when push-pull 74LS10 chips result in a simpler design. My Intellivoice II board also uses the same design change. I've double- and triple-checked the schematic and I see no reason why 74LS10 chips wouldn't work, since the output still goes through resistor R1.

So KylJoy, how did the print go?

NanoVoice_1_5.zip

NanoVoice.png

Edited by JohnPCAE
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JohnPCAE said:

Here is my latest NanoVoice revision. It has better trace routing and makes a change to the design. The original Intellivoice uses 74LS12 chips, which are pretty much made of unobtainium today. I've changed the design to use readily-available 74LS10 chips instead, which also requires removing pull-up resistors R2, R4, and R5. I'm at a loss to understand why Mattel used open-collector 74LS12 chips when push-pull 74LS10 chips result in a simpler design. My Intellivoice II board also uses the same design change. I've double- and triple-checked the schematic and I see no reason why 74LS10 chips wouldn't work, since the output still goes through resistor R1.

So KylJoy, how did the print go?

NanoVoice_1_5.zip 380.5 kB · 1 download

NanoVoice.png

Thanks for posting the gerbers!

Just ordered it from JLCPCB. :)

You should know that the NanoVoice is untested. While the schematic conforms to the one in the Intellivoice service manual, I don't have a connector for the cartridge that goes onto the end of the board the way it does on the real Intellivoice. So I've been unable to build and test one. Before you try to build it you might want to wait until I've built and tested the board for my Intellivoice II case. They use the same schematic so if one works so should the other.

Edited by JohnPCAE
  • Like 1

I got my boards today. The circuit works, but there's a high-pitched whine that comes out in addition to the speech. I don't yet know why. I'm not yet using the correct daughterboard, though. The one I'm using is a spare ACC daughterboard that generates an MCLKx4 (14.31818 MHz) signal, whereas the correct one is simply a passthrough for all signals. The correct one hasn't arrived yet, but I don't see any reason why an ACC one wouldn't work. I checked out the test points on an oscilloscope and it looks like the speech chip is sending a PWM signal that's getting filtered into the high-pitched whine (I'm testing it with a Space Spartans cartridge). I'm not sure why it's sending data when it should be quiet, but I'll do more testing.

One thing I found out through inspecting the normal Intellivoice is that there's an error in the service manual. The schematic is correct, but the bill of materials for register R9 is incorrect. It's listed as 330 ohms when the actual resistor is 180 ohms. I also found out that the eight pull-up resistors on the SPB640's data lines are unnecessary and they're omitted in my Mattel Intellivoice.

Edited by JohnPCAE

Aha. It turns out that not all LM324N chips are created equal. Transplanting the TI LM324N from the Mattel Intellivoice to my board got rid of the high-pitched whine. The one I was using before was made by National Semiconductor, and yes, it's also marked as LM324N! So I can now pronounce the circuit design as good. The chip is used in an active filter (search for Generalized Impedance Converter for more info) that most likely filters out that whine. I also verified that the PWM data that's being sent to it is the same in both the Mattel board and in mine.

Two articles that helped me are linked below. They're part of a larger blog titled The Filter Wizard Remastered that I'll also link.

https://www.planetanalog.com/gee-i-see-the-ins-and-outs-of-generalized-impedance-converters/

https://www.planetanalog.com/lowpass-filters-that-dont-a-tale-of-leakage-current/

https://www.planetanalog.com/category/blog/the-filter-wizard-remastered/

The result of all of this work tonight is a simpler Intellivoice circuit. In the coming days I'll probably revise my NanoVoice circuit to match what I have here and release everything.

Edited by JohnPCAE
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, JohnPCAE said:

Here are the latest NanoVoice files (version 1.6). This should be the final version. I'm going to hold off on releasing the Intellivoice II files until I get the correct daughterboards in the mail. I want to first make sure that they fit in the case.

NanoVoice_1_6.zip 366.77 kB · 0 downloads

If you have a 3d printer, then you can print the board out yourself and see if it fits

I woke up in the middle of the night with an idea. Not all Intellivoice units have the expansion port IDC header, but all Intellivoice II boards would. Also, the Intellivoice II case has an ECS-like expansion door that's properly set up over the expansion port. So, what's stopping me from designing an add-on that gives, say, access to a USB keyboard and mouse? Connecting to USB should theoretically only need a Raspberry Pi Pico and three SN74LVC245 chips. I've even looked into such a design that would connect to the Intellivision bus directly. The question is, how does the Intellivoice expansion bus work? From the service manual it looks like it revolves around the SPB640 chip, but I don't have the datasheet for it. All I have is a die shot of the decapped chip. Does anyone have the datasheet and/or has anyone delved into how the Intellivoice expansion bus works?