IGNORED

Vintage modem options

stushug

43 minutes ago, Tillek said:

You're good... Like BillC said, it has the built in R-Verter, so just make sure you use the R-Verter handler... (And I feel dumb forgetting about that because I bought a second SX212 just so I could take it apart and look at it while keeping the other one for use).

And don't worry about asking questions... it's how we learn.

Thanks. I'm not afraid to ask, it's just sometimes I get a bit confused. Must be getting too old!!

I  received my SX212 the other day, with a copy  of BobTerm on a 5 1/4 disk. When I turn on the 800 Bobterm automatically loads, but it stops at the splash screen and I can't get any further(I attached a pic.) What am I missing?

I have the modem daisychained through my XF551. The modem powers up and the correct lights are on according to the manual. I also have the BASIC cartridge installed. Is it needed?

20221020_122953.jpg

Edited by stushug

1 hour ago, stushug said:

I  received my SX212 the other day, with a copy  of BobTerm on a 5 1/4 disk. When I turn on the 800 Bobterm automatically loads, but it stops at the splash screen and I can't get any further(I attached a pic.) What am I missing?

I have the modem daisychained through my XF551. The modem powers up and the correct lights are on according to the manual. I also have the BASIC cartridge installed. Is it needed?

The SX212 has a built-in RVerter interface, Bobterm needs the proper driver loaded to work with it.

The post linked below has an ATR with Bobterm 1.22 attached:

I was just reading another thread about that, and The_Doctor had recommended v 1.22. I was searching for a copy when you posted!

I'm not sure how to get it from my PC to a 5 1/4 floppy so I can run it though.

Also, I just found my Telelink II cartridge. I think it came with my long lost 835 modem. Will Telelink work with the SX212?

EDIT:

I just tried my Telelink II cart with the SX212  modem. I got the opening screen you described in your linked post with the second option and telelink is behaving as you describe in option 2) starting with "Line Interface error"

1) Modem Good / Connected
  Atari Logo screen saying "Press Return to Continue".
After pressing "Return":
  Pressing "3", Dial from keyboard, you would get the "Please Enter the Number" response.
    Enter a number and press "Return",  screen will show Dialing... and you can hear the internal relay clicking...
    Light should display upon connecting...
  Pressing "6", Change Line Speed, you would get the speaker beep error.

2)Modem Bad / Not Connected
  Atari Logo screen saying "Line Interface Error" and maybe "Stored Information Lost".
After pressing "Return":
  Pressing "3", Dial from keyboard, you would get the speaker beep error.
  Pressing "6", Change Line Speed, you can toggle 300/1200 Baud.

I don't know if the modem is bad or not, not sure how to test it.

Edited by stushug

The easiest way I can think of is:

First, make a copy of the bobterm floppy you have, just in case.

Second, boot with a DOS floppy and then insert the bobterm copy you have and check if rverter.hnd or similar named file is already in your bobterm floppy. (use directory list, typically option A)

If the rverter file is there, copy (typically option C) the rverter file to a new file named rs232.com  (  for example in DOS 2.5 or 2.0 and Mydos Select option  C   and then type RVERTER.HND, RS232.COM)

If the RS232.com already exist in the floppy directory you will need to delete that file first (typically option  D) and then do the copy mentioned in the previous paragraph.

After these steps, if you boot with the bobterm floppy, the bobterm program should be able to load the correct rs232.com (rverter.hnd), which is the correct handler (like a driver) for your sx212 modem.

18 hours ago, David_P said:

BobTerm uses all RAM and does not use BASIC.  Try booting without BASIC; the 8K it's occupying should be occupied by the program.

I removed the basic cartridge and boot from the BobTerm disk and it worked. It's v1.23 though, and I read that it's a bit quirky with regular 800's. I was able to connect to a board ( i got the phone # from this forum but I can't remember the name. The # is 503-852-3170.) at 1200 but I got what seems to be a lot of random characters and it stops at the opening screen when your asked to choose which type board you want, numbered 1,2 and 3. Not matter which number I choose it stops there. I posted a picture for reference.  At least I now know that the modem works and I was able to connect to something. Babysteps!

20221021_152254.jpg

Edited by stushug
  • Like 1

@stushugFrom their dial in page... The access numbers

Clark, WA:                564-244-26oo
Vista, CA:                  760-330-26oo
New York City, NY:   929-470-26oo
Saxapahaw, NC:       743-5oo-26oo
Harlingen, TX:          956-3oo-26oo
Des Moines, IA:        515-4oo-26oo
Toll:                          833-PLZ-DIAL
PHATSTAR TELEPORTER    778-716-PHAT

From there you'll be asked for a username/password that will connect you to the right BBS... Use column 2 for BOTH username AND password.  The list at 2600.network is long (over 1000), so these are just the Atari ones here.

moonlight_mile's BBSs are Alcatraz and Forem XE... BF2k's BBS is Boot Factory 2k and mine is STar Fleet HQ (it's an ST BBS, get it?)

Alcatraz BBS      alcatraz
Amis XE      amisxe
Area 52      area52
*Bikerbob's Clubhouse      bikerbobsclubhouse
Boot Factory 2K      bootfactory2k
Cheeze Daddy's House of Funk      cheezedaddyshouseoffunk
*DarkForce! BBS      darkforce!
Forem XE BBS      foremxe
Hawaii BBS Atari 8 Bit      hawaiiatari8bit
Heisenberg's Hideout      heisenbergshideout
Mousenet      mousenet
NiteLite BBS      nitelite
Part-Time BBS      parttime
Southern Amis      southernamis
*St. Guild BBS      st.guild
*Star Fleet HQ      starfleethq

Edited to indicate ST boards that don't support ATASCII (with an *) (Thanks for the reminder BF2k+)

Also, there is Basement BBS, but it has two listings, and I honestly don't remember which one it is.

Basement BBS (1)      basement1
Basement BBS (2)      basement2

One of them will support ATASCII, the other is the wrong one.  That said, Basement (the right one) also has it's own direct dial up number... 1-503-245-5416

• Like 1

I removed the basic cartridge and boot from the BobTerm disk and it worked. It's v1.23 though, and I read that it's a bit quirky with regular 800's. I was able to connect to a board ( i got the phone # from this forum but I can't remember the name. The # is 503-852-3170.) at 1200 but I got what seems to be a lot of random characters and it stops at the opening screen when your asked to choose which type board you want, numbered 1,2 and 3. Not matter which number I choose it stops there. I posted a picture for reference.  At least I now know that the modem works and I was able to connect to something. Babysteps!

20221021_152254.jpg

The board you connected to is an ASCII connection..  You are in Atari mode.  Change that.

1 hour ago, Tillek said:

@stushugFrom their dial in page... The access numbers

Clark, WA:                564-244-26oo
Vista, CA:                  760-330-26oo
New York City, NY:   929-470-26oo
Saxapahaw, NC:       743-5oo-26oo
Harlingen, TX:          956-3oo-26oo
Des Moines, IA:        515-4oo-26oo
Toll:                          833-PLZ-DIAL
PHATSTAR TELEPORTER    778-716-PHAT

From there you'll be asked for a username/password that will connect you to the right BBS... Use column 2 for BOTH username AND password.  The list at 2600.network is long (over 1000), so these are just the Atari ones here.

moonlight_mile's BBSs are Alcatraz and Forem XE... BF2k's BBS is Boot Factory 2k and mine is STar Fleet HQ (it's an ST BBS, get it?)

Alcatraz BBS      alcatraz
Amis XE      amisxe
Area 52      area52
*Bikerbob's Clubhouse      bikerbobsclubhouse
Boot Factory 2K      bootfactory2k
Cheeze Daddy's House of Funk      cheezedaddyshouseoffunk
*DarkForce! BBS      darkforce!
Forem XE BBS      foremxe
Hawaii BBS Atari 8 Bit      hawaiiatari8bit
Heisenberg's Hideout      heisenbergshideout
Mousenet      mousenet
NiteLite BBS      nitelite
Part-Time BBS      parttime
Southern Amis      southernamis
*St. Guild BBS      st.guild
*Star Fleet HQ      starfleethq

Edited to indicate ST boards that don't support ATASCII (with an *) (Thanks for the reminder BF2k+)

Also, there is Basement BBS, but it has two listings, and I honestly don't remember which one it is.

Basement BBS (1)      basement1
Basement BBS (2)      basement2

One of them will support ATASCII, the other is the wrong one.  That said, Basement (the right one) also has it's own direct dial up number... 1-503-245-5416

Wow! Thanks Tillek!!!

1 hour ago, bf2k+ said:

The board you connected to is an ASCII connection..  You are in Atari mode.  Change that.

Thank you sir. I've never used BobTerm before, now I have to learn the menus and choices. I can't go wrong with all the support I receive here though!

4 hours ago, stushug said:

20221021_152254.jpg

The number I listed above 503-852-3170  is  the the BBS called "The Keep"

I was able to log into Alcatraz and wander around a bit. Pretty cool. I also got into The Keep, but the problem I had there was each screen was very verbose, and text would scroll by and the screen would roll up before I could read most of it. Is there a way to get those screens to pause before they roll up?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stushug said:

I was able to log into Alcatraz and wander around a bit. Pretty cool. I also got into The Keep, but the problem I had there was each screen was very verbose, and text would scroll by and the screen would roll up before I could read most of it. Is there a way to get those screens to pause before they roll up?

You can try a control - s....

But you probably won't find that problem if you stick to Atari BBS's. ;)

4 minutes ago, Tillek said:

You can try a control - s....

But you probably won't find that problem if you stick to Atari BBS's. ;)

You're right, The Keep isn't an Atari BBS. I just realized that, and I now remember the site asking about different systems and it never mentioned Atari. Sometimes I'm a bit slow!:dunce:

You're right, The Keep isn't an Atari BBS. I just realized that, and I now remember the site asking about different systems and it never mentioned Atari. Sometimes I'm a bit slow!:dunce:

It's all good... I mean, you can call the PeeCee BBS's if you want.... if you want to see the epitome of suxx0r! :)

2 hours ago, stushug said:

Try this one (below)...

Oops...  I forgot you're dialing in... never mind.  :)