IGNORED

Vintage modem options

stushug

On 10/14/2022 at 10:04 PM, stushug said:

... I've been having lots of fun showing my granddaughter this vintage stuff and wanted her to see how we used this equipment way back when! She's having fun with it too, by the way.

Couldn't be better! Is there a more important

job, than teaching/telling our descendants how this all begun?

I mean, you can drive a car without knowing the history, but if you know how difficult it was in the beginning, you appriciate / honor

the possibilities you have today.

At least, It doesn't hurt ;-)

Stefan 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stefan Both said:

Couldn't be better! Is there a more important

job, than teaching/telling our descendants how this all begun?

I mean, you can drive a car without knowing the history, but if you know how difficult it was in the beginning, you appriciate / honor

the possibilities you have today.

At least, It doesn't hurt ;-)

Stefan 

I've tried to expose her to as many things as possible. I don't think she'll ever be caught off guard on any subject. She's definitely not a sheltered child, and she has more insight into life than most of the adults I know.

• Like 3

@stushug

First, you want to use RAW when possible.  Pretty much all the Atari BBS's (even the ST ones) are doing it.  Telnet tends to interfere with things like file transfers.

Second... no.....  Use SyncTerm on a PC.  SyncTerm handles ATASCII very well (even 80 col ATASCII!!!!!) and ANSI for the ST BBSs.  (Apologies in advance for DarkLord's excessive use of purple on DarkForce!)

https://syncterm.bbsdev.net/ 

It's pretty much what we all use when we're not using our Atari's (also available on Mac and other OS's).

For ST/PC BBS's using ANSI there is no need to change anything.  (SyncTerm doesn't do VT-52 but all the ST BBS's are better in ANSI anyway.  Once I got ANSITerm back in the day for my ST I never used VT-52 again)

For Atascii, you want to change the Screen Mode (highlighted)

Connection Type for Atari BBS's should be RAW.  For PC and others, "it depends"  Try RAW and if that causes issues, try Telnet.  Address and Port are shown below... they're both on the Atari BBS List @ https://www.sfhqbbs.org/ataribbslist.php (and that has an option to switch to IP for when you're using a device that won't allow domain names)

image.thumb.png.e191c4e13fa8f5be1555116f6f582e2c.png

Does that cover the question?

1 hour ago, stushug said:

Now that I've gotten onto a few BBS's  with the SX212 modem, I'm curious about the telnet method. I've installed/enabled Telnet on my Win11 PC, but I don't understand the syntax when typing in site names.

Now, when you want to do the telnet method with a real Atari..... we can help you with that.

Since you already have the Interface, we've really been liking the WiModem232 From CBM Stuff by Jim Drew ... great product, amazing service.  Always willing to answer questions without insulting you or making you feel stupid and has a great community support forum.

I also just received my simple Wifi modems today that I want to test out.  There are other solutions too.  If you have SIO2PC with APE, that works.. also you can just run a null cable between the 850/PRC/MIO/BB and a PC and run TCPSER and not have to buy anything additional (except maybe for the cable, but if you don't have one from BITD, shame on you!) but that requires a serial port on the PC.

37 minutes ago, Tillek said:

@stushug

First, you want to use RAW when possible.  Pretty much all the Atari BBS's (even the ST ones) are doing it.  Telnet tends to interfere with things like file transfers.

Second... no.....  Use SyncTerm on a PC.  SyncTerm handles ATASCII very well (even 80 col ATASCII!!!!!) and ANSI for the ST BBSs.  (Apologies in advance for DarkLord's excessive use of purple on DarkForce!)

https://syncterm.bbsdev.net/ 

It's pretty much what we all use when we're not using our Atari's (also available on Mac and other OS's).

For ST/PC BBS's using ANSI there is no need to change anything.  (SyncTerm doesn't do VT-52 but all the ST BBS's are better in ANSI anyway.  Once I got ANSITerm back in the day for my ST I never used VT-52 again)

For Atascii, you want to change the Screen Mode (highlighted)

Connection Type for Atari BBS's should be RAW.  For PC and others, "it depends"  Try RAW and if that causes issues, try Telnet.  Address and Port are shown below... they're both on the Atari BBS List @ https://www.sfhqbbs.org/ataribbslist.php (and that has an option to switch to IP for when you're using a device that won't allow domain names)

image.thumb.png.e191c4e13fa8f5be1555116f6f582e2c.png

Does that cover the question?

I installed SyncTerm and ran it, but I don't see  Alcatraz, Boot Factory or Star Fleet. Can I add sites to SyncTerm?

11 minutes ago, stushug said:

I installed SyncTerm and ran it, but I don't see  Alcatraz, Boot Factory or Star Fleet. Can I add sites to SyncTerm?

Use the INSert key to add them.

Actually, I usually start by deleting all those.  Many of them are likely down since it's hard to tell when that list was pruned.

bf2k+,

I was on your site via SyncTerm. I filled out all of the info requested. Why is my security level "way too low", and how can that be corrected?

Also, in a post above, Tillek has my name in a blue oval @stushug. How do I accomplish that using someone else's user name?

Edited by stushug

5 minutes ago, stushug said:

@bf2k+ I was on your site via SyncTerm. I filled out all of the info requested. Why is my security level "way too low", and how can that be corrected?

Probably a new user verification.  He's pretty on the ball about these things, so it likely won't be long.

28 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Use the INSert key to add them.

Actually, I usually start by deleting all those.  Many of them are likely down since it's hard to tell when that list was pruned.

Can I delete more than one item at a time? I didn't see that option. It will take forever to do one at a time.

21 minutes ago, stushug said:

bf2k+,

I was on your site via SyncTerm. I filled out all of the info requested. Why is my security level "way too low", and how can that be corrected?

Also, in a post above, Tillek has my name in a blue oval @stushug. How do I accomplish that using someone else's user name?

All taken care of... Enjoy!

@stushug and anyone else interested.....

Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok......

Y'all better post some messages or something on the BBS's after this.

New feature.

http://www.sfhqbbs.org/ataribbslist-syncterm.php

Downloads a syncterm.lst list for you.

(If the link doesn't work, try copying and pasting, or click the red button from http://www.sfhqbbs.org/ataribbslist.php )

Just need to place it where the "old one" was, which you can find by going to the "program settings" (that menu on the right).

image.thumb.png.1eadb4035c8dc7254507a414b72287a8.png

You're welcome.

Please let me know if you have any issues with it.

2 hours ago, stushug said:

Can I delete more than one item at a time? I didn't see that option. It will take forever to do one at a time.

You can replace your syncterm.lst with the one created by the list site, or just use a text editor to wipe them out/edit it.

12 hours ago, Tillek said:

@stushug and anyone else interested.....

Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok......

Y'all better post some messages or something on the BBS's after this.

New feature.

http://www.sfhqbbs.org/ataribbslist-syncterm.php

Downloads a syncterm.lst list for you.

(If the link doesn't work, try copying and pasting, or click the red button from http://www.sfhqbbs.org/ataribbslist.php )

Just need to place it where the "old one" was, which you can find by going to the "program settings" (that menu on the right).

image.thumb.png.1eadb4035c8dc7254507a414b72287a8.png

You're welcome.

Please let me know if you have any issues with it.

New list downloaded and copied to folder. It worked perfectly for me. Thanks Tillek!