IGNORED

Atari CX40 replacement PCB Project

Astal4

Hello, I started a repository and did the initial commit for a replacement PCB for the Atari CX40 controllers, it's licensed under the MIT license and I threw it together somewhat quickly, I'll be having the boards made and continue until I get a good result for a replacement PCB for the CX40. I do plan on Joy2B+ enhanced CX40 PCBs eventually as well. It's something simple enough I figured I could donate it to the community. First commit is rough, I measured a CX40 PCB with a ruler to make this board, it should be precise enough and I'll post updates here as to how it is and works! Thanks everyone.

Repo is here: https://github.com/Astal4/CX40-Replacement

• Like 2

I've seen Osgeld's board.  I was going to buy a few of CommodoreKazz's joystick boards and a small bunch of his av mod kits.  We were working out a package price and then he just disappeared.  It was taking him about a day or so to reply and then just up and disappeared.  I ended up going with Best's new boards but still interested in trying out a microswitch board from someone.  There's a guy on an Atari 2600 FB group that makes his own using the original boards and he raves about the feel.

6 minutes ago, AtariBrian said:

Best's gold boards really can't be beat. That is if you want to deal with a crazy person when buying them. 🤣

I'm not denying that his business model is a little.....odd? lol But I really enjoy the 3 boards I got from him and the extended cables WITH the factory style strain relief is nice.  You gotta wrestle those things in there but once they go in, they look factory and work so nice.

10 minutes ago, Matt300ZXT said:

I'm not denying that his business model is a little.....odd? lol But I really enjoy the 3 boards I got from him and the extended cables WITH the factory style strain relief is nice.  You gotta wrestle those things in there but once they go in, they look factory and work so nice.

Yeah all top quality. I really like the new joystick boots also. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Astal4 said:

Well I figured it couldn't hurt to have an open source project for this, I haven't had good experiences with best, but I'm aiming for eventual Joy2B+ boards to drop in a CX40 (clone) housing and stuff.

and maybe some else then builds upon it and adds a second button. or a nice new machined wooden case etc.
these open source things sometimes really deliver a benefit for the (retro) community. you could add a QR code for a patreon link to the PCB. maybe a few bucks are coming back.

3 hours ago, WhyLee commotari.club said:

and maybe some else then builds upon it and adds a second button. or a nice new machined wooden case etc.
these open source things sometimes really deliver a benefit for the (retro) community. you could add a QR code for a patreon link to the PCB. maybe a few bucks are coming back.

That's a good idea. I'll look at adding that.

I do plan on adding Joy2B+ support and stuff in this project, just got to figure out an ergonomic way to add more buttons to a CX40... Maybe a second button on the top like a bumper? And a 3rd facing up? 2 face and one rear?

I am talking with Albert about potentially selling these boards on the AtariAge store as well, which I'd want a small kickback from, but I'm aiming for a sub-$1 built cost to keep the whole thing very cheap and have a nice upgrade for the CX40 which is available.

• Like 1

i have an additional idea. but i am not sure if this is too expensive, or maybe there is a different method for soldering.
==> having an option to turn the joystick for people who want to use the fire button on the right side.
for me, i would prefer to use the firebutton on the left side and hold the stick with my right hand. but maybe other people want to do the opposite.
i don't know how to tacle this. a switch would be the best way, but a switch with many pins costs a lot. solderable jumpers would be another idea but that would be fixed then.
i don't know if this is an issue at all. just an idea.

3 hours ago, WhyLee commotari.club said:

i have an additional idea. but i am not sure if this is too expensive, or maybe there is a different method for soldering.
==> having an option to turn the joystick for people who want to use the fire button on the right side.
for me, i would prefer to use the firebutton on the left side and hold the stick with my right hand. but maybe other people want to do the opposite.
i don't know how to tacle this. a switch would be the best way, but a switch with many pins costs a lot. solderable jumpers would be another idea but that would be fixed then.

This might be possible by offering two different internal wiring harnesses that swap the wiring as needed between left/right handed use? Not as easy as just moving a switch I know, but not too big a deal to open up the controller and swap out a small wire harnesses either and that wouldn't increase costs too much I don't think?

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 4:41 AM, WhyLee commotari.club said:

On 10/18/2022 at 7:57 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

This might be possible by offering two different internal wiring harnesses that swap the wiring as needed between left/right handed use? Not as easy as just moving a switch I know, but not too big a deal to open up the controller and swap out a small wire harnesses either and that wouldn't increase costs too much I don't think?

It's actually able to be done by just swapping around the hookups on the board, they're just crimped pins that slide on the board. It uses the original cables.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Astal4 said:

It's actually able to be done by just swapping around the hookups on the board, they're just crimped pins that slide on the board. It uses the original cables.

Not sure about your experience with this, but most of those older crimps are starting to break and fall apart after 40 years. I've lost count of how many have broken in half over the years that I just end up soldering to the board at that point. That is why I was suggesting the small wire harness idea. 

But yes, the can just be moved and slid out and onto different contacts to accomplish this. Provided the crimps connectors are in sound shape at least.

4 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Not sure about your experience with this, but most of those older crimps are starting to break and fall apart after 40 years. I've lost count of how many have broken in half over the years that I just end up soldering to the board at that point. That is why I was suggesting the small wire harness idea. 

But yes, the can just be moved and slid out and onto different contacts to accomplish this. Provided the crimps connectors are in sound shape at least.

Good point, the pads on the board are exposed though so theoretically you can solder to them, new crimps might not be a bad idea. I'll see if I can get something like that from Mouser or Digikey.

4 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

how about a board mount screw terminal like this and you can close it onto to the crimp (whether or not it is broken) - assuming the crimp fits into the opening :) 

Then if you want to change the joystick orientation, then you can move the wires around easily.

1729157, 1729047

For a revision 2 I could add the mounting holes on for that, if it fits, might need to put it upside down in the case.

Just pushed a new update with larger SMD pads, I have assembled one and it is fully functional! A video to come later. It works in my original CX40, and feels better, however the installation is quite finicky, got to position it just right because of the button sizes. Hand soldering is simple, but tedious because of how small the feet on the buttons are, a solder paste method would make it simpler. It fits perfectly though in my original CX40 and I'm happy to say it works.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...