IGNORED

What do you think of the "It's Conner time!" series?

Ecernosoft

Guys, PLEASE don't yell at me for the 7800 one being unfinished. ICT works better as a 2600 series, not a 7800 one. (And the 7800 will get a real ICT game, just, not yet)

Hello everyone!
What do you think of the ICT series? 

ICT (or It's Conner time) was supposed to be the "Atari Mascot platformer" if it were to have one.

the NES had Super Mario, the SMS had Sonic, then the 7800 and 2600 should get one too right?

That's what I thought.

While ICT1 on the 7800 never got finished (Honestly, it was taking way too much time!), ICT1 on the 2600 did, as well as ICTS on scratch, ICT on Scratch, and soon, ICT2 on 2600.

If you're wondering why the 5200 doesn't have an ICT game.... it was supposed to. But the 5200 is really a bastard of a console in some ways. If you don't pay extra to fix the controllers, unless the previous guy did, they'll be broken. Some games don't work on the two port and the 4 port has video/audio issues. And plus, the 5200 has the lowest sales point of any Atari console.

The 5200 will get a game from me, just, not today. =/

What criticisms do you have of my stuff? I understand I'm still a noob game-design wise. (Like honestly, ICTS on scratch is a design disaster made into a game honestly)

What would you like to see put into the next ICT game?

What other platforms would you like to see get an ICT game? (And if you say the NES, it will get pushed back since the NES is already clobbered with platformers!)

(Also, please don't ask me to do INTV or any 16 bit system as I can't code those)

Thanks,

E.C.

1 minute ago, Astal4 said:

We already have the VHZC games like Game of the Bear, Knight Guy, and Ninjish Guy which are all platformers.

Work on your skills and develop things in blocks, continue and iterate.

Yeah, I understand. I know those exist too.

The thing is however, those aren't anything like what I'm obviously going for. A Mascot platformer.

Sure, platformers exist, but I'm sort-of trying to create a series starring a mascot platformer. 

Edit: Speaking of, if you have Character designs you want to see in an ICT game, please do share them!

Edited by Ecernosoft

Just now, Ecernosoft said:

Yeah, I understand. I know those exist too.

The thing is however, those aren't anything like what I'm obviously going for. A Mascot platformer.

Sure, platformers exist, but I'm sort-of trying to create a series starring a mascot platformer. 

Work on your skills first, and you can't force a mascot platformer, #1 beyond anything is it's got to actually be a good game and people have to agree on liking the mascot, Sega tried it with Alex Kidd and didn't get any reception until Sonic.

Just work on a game and if it's good, it's good and worry about sequels after.

3 minutes ago, Astal4 said:

Work on your skills first, and you can't force a mascot platformer

True. You are right.

#1 beyond anything is it's got to actually be a good game and people have to agree on liking the mascot,

That's sort of why I asked about character designs.

Just work on a game and if it's good, it's good and worry about sequels after.

ICT1 was pretty decent on 2600, and I thought by making a sequel I could improve on it's design.

Edit: I also don't really need this to be insanely popular, this is more of me as a developer doing stuff.

Edited by Ecernosoft

True. You are right.

That's sort of why I asked about character designs.

ICT1 was pretty decent on 2600, and I thought by making a sequel I could improve on it's design.

Learn the hardware inside and out, learn to program well, try and do something new, read books on game design. Read technical manuals, when you have a question, try and solve it.

Learn the hardware inside and out, learn to program well, try and do something new, read books on game design. Read technical manuals, when you have a question, try and solve it.

Yeah. 

I appreciate your help by the way!

I do have a book on Atari 2600 programming, and I did take a game design course 2 years ago, but I'm still working on my game design skills.

Yeah. 

I appreciate your help by the way!

I do have a book on Atari 2600 programming, and I did take a game design course 2 years ago, but I'm still working on my game design skills.

Just take it slow, great games were not designed in a day.

I know you're very young still, the best games were designed after many many iterations and learning from past mistakes. No one makes a blockbuster game on their first one, or second, or quite a few later.

Just take it slow, great games were not designed in a day.

I know you're very young still, the best games were designed after many many iterations and learning from past mistakes. No one makes a blockbuster game on their first one, or second, or quite a few later.

That's right.

I've learned a lot however. 

Play ICT on scratch (My first ICT game) and then go to ICTS, then ICT7800, then ICT1 on 2600, and finally ICT2 on 2600 and you should see improvement.

I am still learning though. Making these games also helps me as a developer improve.

Well, there are technical problems with side scrolling and you probably want to experiment with ways to mitigate artifacts.

While scrolling, you'll see the "double vision" artifact attached to this post. It happens when you scroll four color clocks at a time. For the playfield, it probably has to scroll four color clocks; I don't know the solution. You can hide it a little with design decisions. Big bright solid areas of background will especially stand out.

For me, most 2600 side scrollers are difficult to play because the sprites exhibit the same artifact as the background. But why? Sprites can be finely positioned.

Moving the sprites four color clocks in a single frame creates uncertainty about the exact position of the sprites to my eye. You have to adjust accordingly. Additionally, plan to avoid rounding errors that would make enemies appear to tremble or jitter when changing direction while the screen is scrolling. 

Screenshot_20220604-215303.jpg

Edited by orange808