IGNORED

1050 passed Tests, Can't Format

Tonyscouter

I ran the 1050 diagnostic disk and passed all the tests but still can't format a floppy disk.  Is there something wrong with the drive or is it because it is a 30 year old floppy disk?  Can floppies lose their ability to be written to?  The drive can read disks fine.  I just don't know what to try next.

What program are you using to measure RPM? I know there is one as part of SpartaDOS, as well as the Atari 1050 diagnostic utility... (though that program shows the timing in ms per revolution versus revolutions per minute)

These disks can absolutely lose their ability to be read or written over time... It's good to test disks you plan to regularly use with an occasional full re-format. A known good working 1050 is also useful if you have one. :) Also make sure the read/write head is clean - dirt on it can reduce the ability for successful data read/write, as well as cause physical abrasion and scratch the disk further degrading your disks...

Also inspect the drive belt beneath the mechanism - these are also often worn out, loose, or falling apart and can also lead to erratic RPM if it is slipping or the disk itself is too hard to turn within a disk sleeve with too much friction...

15 hours ago, Tonyscouter said:

I ran the 1050 diagnostic disk and passed all the tests but still can't format a floppy disk.  Is there something wrong with the drive or is it because it is a 30 year old floppy disk?  Can floppies lose their ability to be written to?  The drive can read disks fine.  I just don't know what to try next.

You have not provided enough information for us to help you out enough.  I'm assuming since you ran the 1050 test and they all passed that RPM speeds is correct.  Assuming you have a DOS 2.x disk you can use, can you create new files, and delete them?  Just copy a file on the disk and give it a new name. If that works, and you can read it back and then delete it, the problem might be with the format circuity, specifically the required voltages to format.  There are few threads here on how to fix that.

But first .. please validate that you can write to a working disk and modify its contents.

On 10/24/2022 at 12:41 PM, kheller2 said:

You have not provided enough information for us to help you out enough.  I'm assuming since you ran the 1050 test and they all passed that RPM speeds is correct.  Assuming you have a DOS 2.x disk you can use, can you create new files, and delete them?  Just copy a file on the disk and give it a new name. If that works, and you can read it back and then delete it, the problem might be with the format circuity, specifically the required voltages to format.  There are few threads here on how to fix that.

But first .. please validate that you can write to a working disk and modify its contents.

I did verify that I can write a file to a working disk.  I'll try cleaning the write protect sensor.

• 2 months later...