IGNORED

Quiet sounds

IronMongeR

I'm not sure if it's just my imagination, but it seems to me as if the music/sound fx coming from my Jag are really quiet. It's hooked to my tv via standard RF, and I've tried two different tv's. It's not a major issue or anything, just wondered if it was a common problem - perhaps there'd be an improvement if I got a SCART cable? :?

One thing that I've noticed over the years is that the Jaguars sound is not amplified nearly as much as most other systems. I have all my systems hooked up with video/s-video and I always have to turn up the the volume on my stereo amplifier more than with the other systems (or down when switching to another system else I get a rude awakening). The Catbox, when I had it, alieviated this problem as it has a built in pre-amp, at least when the sound is pumped through the headphone jacks (I used an adapter to go from the mini jack to two RCA plugs). This lack of amplification is worse through the RF, so a video cable would help some, but not much; obviously if you hook it into a stereo amplifier it's much better than just directly into a TV. Other than switching to scart, all you can do is turn the volume up on your TV.

I've noticed that with any DSP based audio code that the fastest way to combine several channels of sound together is to average the samples. It's really quick and beats the alternatives which are CPU intensive. The downside is that any one sample is attenuated by the number of others combined with it. Games with a lot of sound channels will tend to be quieter.