IGNORED

Forum slow response

TGB1718

Just wondering if it's only me (in the UK), but recently I've noticed it quite often takes many second to

load a page, also searches take much longer than usual I've even had them timeout.

I've changed DNS servers, but it's still the same, only happens on Atari Age forums. 

Yes, I'm seeing the slowdown as well, and I have opened a ticket with Invision.  As for the search, yes, it is generally quite slow, but once I can get Elasticsearch installed again, the searches will be much faster.  And the search engine is used by many pages, so that alone will help things out.  But Invision will need to address the issue where other pages (such as forum topics) are loading slowly.

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

I've definitely noticed big delays using search. Sometimes 15 seconds from hitting search when searching the forum, (rather than in a topic).

FWIW, I'm seeing the same behaviour, but also with in-topic searches.  Doesn't happen all the time, but it is very noticeable when it does.

27 minutes ago, Albert said:

I have opened a ticket with Invision

Cool, thanks!

Has anyone else noticed issues when connecting with a phone, but no Wi-Fi?  I have no trouble so long as I am on Wi-Fi, but since the new forum system, most of the time I get no response from AA using my phone.  Note: other sites work normally, and good signal strength.

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Has anyone else noticed issues when connecting with a phone, but no Wi-Fi?  I have no trouble so long as I am on Wi-Fi, but since the new forum system, most of the time I get no response from AA using my phone.  Note: other sites work normally, and good signal strength.

Yeah, that is very likely some sort of network issue between your cellular carrier and AtariAge.  There's no reason the server itself would distinguish between the type of device you are using (except to render the pages a bit differently to accommodate the narrower device screen), and I'm able to access the site fine on my phone.  I did so frequently when I was away in Portland for two weeks recently, and I bet half the people using the site are doing so on mobile devices.

Are you able to access the main site (at https://atariage.com) and the store (https://atariage.com/store) with your phone in cellular mode?  Those are hosted elsewhere, so you might have different results versus the forum. 

..Al

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

I will check those out to see if they are different.  Fortunately, most of the time I can use Wi-Fi.

I would like to know why you are having difficulties when using cellular -- who are you using for a carrier?  Android or iOS?   I doubt there's anything I can do on my end about that, but if I start to see multiple reports, that would give me more ammunition to run it up the ladder.

..Al

I will check those out to see if they are different.  Fortunately, most of the time I can use Wi-Fi.  For grins, I turned off the Wi-Fi, and tried to post this using cell.  Both times, it timed out.  Switched to Wi-Fi, and it took it in a couple of seconds.

I have an Android 5g Samsung Verizon phone  Makes no difference if 4g or 5g, 2 bars or 5 bars.

@Albert Is it the forum software that is tagging all the attachments with weird multi digit numbers at the start of the file name?

Every file from here lately has had this renaming done?

Example from the naughty dealer demo thread..1643748667_AtariDealerDemo.xex   File name in the description does not have those numbers tacked on..

Edited by Mclaneinc

16 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

@Albert Is it the forum software that is tagging all the attachments with weird multi digit numbers at the start of the file name?

Every file from here lately has had this renaming done?

Example from the naughty dealer demo thread..1643748667_AtariDealerDemo.xex   File name in the description does not have those numbers tacked on..

This will be fixed in version 4.7.4 of the software, which is currently in testing. The moment it comes out of beta, I will be updating the software here.

Trust me, it's annoying as...uhhr, truck to me, and I wrote Invision two months ago about fixing it.  I then wrote them again a few days ago, and was told it should have been in a prior release already, but will certainly be in 4.7.4.  So it's a good thing I asked about it again!

..Al

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Verizon phone 

We've noticed issues at work with people on Verizon's network having problems reaching our VPN.  If they move to a non-Verizon WiFi network, the problem goes away.  We started noticing this somewhere in the May to June timeframe, and the cell networks around here are generally overbuilt.

From what I've been able to figure out, there appear to be some peering issues between Verizon, intermediate carriers, and the final hop.  The problem is both intermittent and inconsistent, so I can't claim that this is the root cause of what you're running into - but it is one that could potentially affect Verizon customers anywhere in the country depending on how and where traffic to and from their devices is being routed.

51 minutes ago, Peter Rabitt said:
Is the system not have enough lines coming in??

Well, that's not quite how it works, there are quite a few variables involved that can result in slow page loading.  Since that is now out of my hands (for better or worse), I have to rely on Invision to keep their servers and network running smoothly.  They need to make sure enough resources are available for their (probably large) pool of cloud-based forums to run well.  Timeouts like people have been seeing should not happen very often, but obviously that hasn't been the case for the last several days.

..Al