IGNORED

Atari 400 cartridge question

magnusfalkirk

Here is the link to the video I watched about the S-Drive Max. 

He has it hooked up to an Atari 800. If it works that simply then there are other problems with my 400. At this point I've simply said the hell with it and bought a Side3 cart from Vintage Computer Center. So unless someone has a simple way to get the SIO port working I will probably sell the S-Drive Max. Unless

38 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

You can do the basic functionality tests with a FujiNet. Best bet is to power the FujiNet externally so it's already booted up before you power on the Atari. Insert a BASIC cart in the Atari then boot it up. If the FujiNet menu screen loads in, SIO input is fine. Set DOS in the first slot and make it R/W so you write a test BASIC program back to the ATR file. Hit OPTION to boot the Atari from the FujiNet menu. DOS should load in. Type DOS to confirm then go back to BASIC. Type a little test program, save it, then try to reload it.

I had the Fuji powered externally and already on. When turning on the 400...the Fujinet would briefly light up but NOTHING would show on the screen, that is why I was having to use the console on the Fuji's built in webserver to see what if anything it was doing.

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I had the Fuji powered externally and already on. When turning on the 400...the Fujinet would briefly light up but NOTHING would show on the screen, that is why I was having to use the console on the Fuji's built in webserver to see what if anything it was doing.

In that case there's either a continuity error with one of the SIO lines back to POKEY or POKEY itself is wonky.

If the chip is acting odd, there's a decent chance a SIDE3 cart may have issues as well. Furthermore, the file system that's part of the SIDE3 firmware offers only partial support for ATR files, and none for copy-protected ATX files. A lot of stuff will work okay, but not everything. If the owner has issues once he gets the SIDE3, be sure he's using a known-good ATR file that will run from SIDE3 natively on another system. 

14 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

In that case there's either a continuity error with one of the SIO lines back to POKEY or POKEY itself is wonky.

If the chip is acting odd, there's a decent chance a SIDE3 cart may have issues as well. Furthermore, the file system that's part of the SIDE3 firmware offers only partial support for ATR files, and none for copy-protected ATX files. A lot of stuff will work okay, but not everything. If the owner has issues once he gets the SIDE3, be sure he's using a known-good ATR file that will run from SIDE3 natively on another system. 

With the Fuji connected, I was still able to confirm good continuity from the SIO from the power board to the back of the fujinet's external SIO port. So that tells me the port physically is good at that point. I'm leaning on it being an issue at this with either the POKEY or PIA. POKEY is working in all other aspects in that cartridge games I tested on it all worked with out issue and with full audio from it. So it would have to be some of those other functions not working. Although I'm pretty sure I removed his pokey and tested it in my Chiptest pro like I did with his CPU, GTIA, and ANTIC chips. Not sure if the PIA is in the chiptest library for testing though?

PIA might be implicated in that the SIO COMMAND, INTERRUPT and PROCEED lines go there, as well as the Motor Control line. A last ditch test would be to remove and reseat the chip. I've had one Atari computer over the years with badly-corroded sockets, to the extent that a couple of the sockets had wipes that either bent and didn't make good contact, or broken completely off. 

15 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

PIA might be implicated in that the SIO COMMAND, INTERRUPT and PROCEED lines go there, as well as the Motor Control line. A last ditch test would be to remove and reseat the chip. I've had one Atari computer over the years with badly-corroded sockets, to the extent that a couple of the sockets had wipes that either bent and didn't make good contact, or broken completely off. 

Not that this will help, but the Fujinet would only report a checksum error when trying to boot up off that 400. It did give a set of hex characters prior to that, that did seem to indicate that the Fuji was NOT receiving a check for detection of the disk drive if I remember that discord conversation with Thom about it.

On 11/4/2022 at 6:10 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

So yes his interlock will need to be removed and jumper it so that the system is on as soon as it is powered up for him to use a 3rd party flash cart.

I have seen a picture in the forum where a zip tie was used to hold the interlock switch closed, easily reversed if desired.

On 11/4/2022 at 12:26 PM, magnusfalkirk said:

Here is the link to the video I watched about the S-Drive Max. 

He has it hooked up to an Atari 800. If it works that simply then there are other problems with my 400. At this point I've simply said the hell with it and bought a Side3 cart from Vintage Computer Center. So unless someone has a simple way to get the SIO port working I will probably sell the S-Drive Max. Unless

Hi @magnusfalkirk,

I have an Atari 400 that has been upgraded with reifsnyderb’s axlon memory card and Svideo card. I  have an Sdrive max as well. I could test it. I also have the smaller and older variant that worked without issue. I also have have an Sdrive cartridge too. So if you want me to test, let me know. When I get home from work later today, I will try them out.

scorpio_ny thank you very much for the offer, but I think my problem with the SIO port is possibly a chip problem. When -^Crossbow-^ installed the 1056K card he noticed 1 pin, I think, that was bent in the SIO port, which he straightened. I doubt that was the problem, since he was getting some signal from the port. I bought a Side3 card form Vintage Computer and it arrived today. So now I just need to load an SD card with images and figure out how to shave the cartridge down a little to fit in the cartridge slot.

29 minutes ago, magnusfalkirk said:

scorpio_ny thank you very much for the offer, but I think my problem with the SIO port is possibly a chip problem. When -^Crossbow-^ installed the 1056K card he noticed 1 pin, I think, that was bent in the SIO port, which he straightened. I doubt that was the problem, since he was getting some signal from the port. I bought a Side3 card form Vintage Computer and it arrived today. So now I just need to load an SD card with images and figure out how to shave the cartridge down a little to fit in the cartridge slot.

@magnusfalkirk  Also (just in case it was missed in the earlier posts in this thread) in addition to shaving the sides of the casing down (where a fine mini file should do it), remember the 400's cart door bay switch would need to be disabled or engaged manually in order for the 400 to power up. The SIDE3 cart, and others like it, (eg AVG), are too tall and therefore won't allow the cart door to close. So you either disable the switch, or you find a way to engage the switch. With the 800 you can use a cotton bud (cue tip), pushed into the recess where the cart door's plastic protrusion usually engages with it. Or use a 3D printed alternative which engages with it like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3593159

image.thumb.png.151f596bd16c610356dc0b995f09b8b6.png

Not sure with the 400.

Just wouldn't want you to wonder why the 400 wasn't powering up with the SIDE3 in the cart bay once filed down. :)  

EDIT:  Ah, just having had a look at the Thingyverse link above again I noticed that it shows a 400 version of the 3D printed strut too - I'd never noticed until now :)

image.thumb.png.8389588d2bc2001cb8be514c806789d4.png

You can see in the image that is a SIDE2 cart - pretty much the same footprint as the SIDE3.

FYI for the latter filing exercise I'd say taking 1.5mm-ish (<1/16") off each side (of the SIDE3:D) should allow it to fit.

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

No worries.:) 

Side3 and 3.1 are afaik the same size cart body. Glad you have 3.1. 

I linked to the fjc video in an earlier post in this thread detailing the extra future features it has. Mainly benefits the XL and XE range IIRC but still. 

Would love to see the Rewind demo running off your 400 sometime. :)

There were actually about 3 pins that were bent in the SIO port. After I was able to carefully reform them back into shape, I then used my fujinet to test if continuity was present from the rear SIO off he Fujinet to the interconnects on the power board and everything had good continuity. So the pins at this point should be good to go.

@magnusfalkirk I can't recall exactly but I know I used my chip tester on your CPU, ANTIC, and GTIA but I do not believe I popped the pokey to test it. I verified that the backbit chip tester does include the serial IO in its test on the Pokey. So that can be checked and verified. Not sure the PIA chip is in the chip tester library though?

And instead of zip tie, I would likely just desolder one of the wires off the switch and solder it with the other on the same pin. That way it can easilly be reversed in the future if needed and would provide an instant on condition once the main power switch is toggled on the side.

21 hours ago, magnusfalkirk said:

So are you wanting me to bring the 400 back up to you some time for more work? If so just let me know when and I'll see about getting there.

Yes possibly. If for no other reason than to at least test the theory on the POKEY side of things. I actually have a spare POKEY chip for testing purposes like this but can also run yours through the chip tester to verify it is good.

And, as has been stated with your flash cart it will require that the cart door closed switch be defeated so you can power on and use the 400 with that door open. I get why it was done, because it allowed you to swap carts out of the console without having to physically remember to power off each time since opening the cart door powered it off for you and then powered back on when closing it again.

-^Crossbow^-

I checked the mail after I got home from Branson today and got the last thing I needed to hook up the sound from the 400 to the speaker on the Dell monitor. After plugging everything in I put the Star Wars cartridge into the computer and turned it on. Pressed the fire button on the joystick and I have sound!

If you'd still like to check the Pokey chip some time let me know we can work out a day and time that is convienent for you.

• Like 1