IGNORED

Laser 128EX and FujiNet for Apple

scelbi8h

I purchased recently a FujiNet for Apple from a trusted seller, with the intention of using it with my Laser 128EX.

As far as I know, this computer is SmartPort compatible, or almost, since some SmartPort devices like the FloppyEmu work without an issue.

But I've had no luck with my computer. I plug the FujiNet, turn on the computer, cancel the boot sequence from the internal drive, and write PR#5. It was supposed to start the FujiNet menu, but instead I got an "UNABLE TO BOOT" message every time.

The FujiNet has been tested with and without external power. Same luck.

Any idea why this is happening? Maybe a timing problem with the Laser?

Edited by scelbi8h

A quick Google search seems to indicate the laser 128ex smart port support is a bit touchy. Like it may only support one drive (or a single Flopoy Emu), and not a daisy chain like an Apple smartport.

That being said, I think FujiNet is pretty hard on the Smartport (for lack of a better term) and requires it to work exactly to Apple specs and timings. I believe I read somewhere along the way even the Smartport mode of the Yellowstone card was giving FujiNet some trouble. But I don't recall exactly where or when I read that. Things may have changed since then. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scelbi8h said:

Thanks, that's what I thought... 

I'm still checking options. My Laser has the 4.3 ROM. Tomorrow I'll burn a new ROM with the 6.0 version (the latest one they ever made for this computer).

Let's see if it works or behaves in a different way.

I hope you will have luck!  :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, masteries said:

I hope you will have luck!  :)

Thanks, but I didn't success. I burned 3 ROMs - 4.5, 6.0 and 6.1 for the EX/2. I get the message "UNABLE TO BOOT" every single time.

Never mind that, I guess there are plenty of options to get this computer online. Somebody in Particles recommend me ProTerm, and having a Simulant Retro WiFi modem emulator and the serial cable I suppose I shouldn't have issues connecting to BBSs.

What I will really miss is using the FujiNet as a disk emulator. 

Anyway, now my Laser 128EX is cleaned and upgraded with the 1MB RAM and ROM 6.0. Can't get any better than that :)

BTW, if you didn't guess already, I'm Luis from RW ;)

Edited by scelbi8h

I recognize the avatar,

Thinking on it, if the problem is due to Fujinet is a daisy chained SmartPort device (due to it provides multiple drives at once)

Can a modification of the official firmware be useful for you? A regressive modification that provide a single drive instead four, and no network units,

I think we need to give it a try, and test this theory

Edited by masteries

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...