IGNORED

ATARI SXEGS Cartridge without GAL chips

prcoder

If you need a cartridge for [b]ATARI 65XE/130XE/800XE/800XL[/b] etc. then I can offer my project.
This is a printed circuit board using a 512 kb memory chip and three simple discrete logic chips.
This is a [b]Switchable XEGS cartridge[/b] that can hold dozens of games.

The board can be ordered on the [b]PCBWay[/b] service (there is a ready-made project to which I will give a link), on JLCPCB or on a similar service.
The gerber files are in the project. In addition, there are models for printing the case using a 3D printer.

PCB project on PCBWay

GitHub project with Gerber files and STL models

1708045327_AssembledPCB1.thumb.JPG.c004e38518efa8110fcc870a9d6a710f.JPG447024471_BoardandGreyHousing.thumb.jpg.8c4e7cc7f9c3e94fe796b71dc17d9072.jpgFreeCAD_View.thumb.png.41196dff0fafe08f46f9924da7259f31.png1906993080_GreyCartridgeinATARI.thumb.jpg.a0a2c01d12c796072738106a88b7064c.jpg245513580_BlackCartridge.thumb.jpg.ad47b0ccb05bdf734fd8f762f1cf8185.jpg690716442_GamesList.thumb.jpg.41990cb95fed4a204c023c51890de934.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Thanks!

I will build some of these and offer them to users.

I will let you know how it goes!

Do you have any US part numbers/Specs for the following:

• 100 nF capacitors (3 pcs)
  • 6.8 uF capacitor (1 pcs)
  • 11 kOhm resistors (6 pcs)
  • 3.3 kOhm resistor (1 pcs)

Amy polarity to the capacitors?

THanks

2 hours ago, ZuluGula said:

@prcoder, in my opinion, it would be better if you designed your PCB to fit @Sikor http://sikorsoft.waw.pl/en/cartridge-cases/. They are way better than anything 3D printed and fit every Atari 8 bit computer.

I don't have these cartridge cases and am unable to purchase them at the moment due to SWIFT blocking, logistics issues, etc.

These are getting harder and harder to get. For the most part, only modern microcircuits are sold. Old ones, from the times of the USSR, will soon remain only from collectors, probably. Or, on the contrary, it is found that they are sold in kilograms for a penny as non-ferrous metal. 

And yet, 3D printing is a more versatile solution.
Everyone will be able to repeat cartridge housing, because 3D printing is now more and more common.
For example, I needed a case for SIO2SD from Lotnarek, but he did not sell it separately.
Then, I drew it myself and printed it out.

2019-01-09_00:14:44.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZuluGula said:

Yes, you are right. Do you can still buy those ICs with ceramic body and gold legs in Russia?

I still have from my youth, from the beginnings of my electronics career, still some real Russian EPROMs 😉.

Picture just done, see attached:

Cheers,

andY

my_russian_EPROMS.JPEG

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, prcoder said:

And yet, 3D printing is a more versatile solution.
Everyone will be able to repeat cartridge housing, because 3D printing is now more and more common.
For example, I needed a case for SIO2SD from Lotnarek, but he did not sell it separately.
Then, I drew it myself and printed it out.

2019-01-09_00:14:44.JPG

What software are you using to do your designs, and what printer do you have?  You're getting nice looking prints.

• Like 2

Hello prcoder

5 hours ago, prcoder said:

I don't have these cartridge cases and am unable to purchase them at the moment due to SWIFT blocking, logistics issues, etc.

If you can't buy because of SWIFT blocking etc., how are you going to sell your PCBs?

If you ask @Sikor he might give you the measurements of his cases and people can get the PCB from you and the cases from Sikor.

Sincerely

Mathy

12 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello prcoder

If you can't buy because of SWIFT blocking etc., how are you going to sell your PCBs?

If you ask @Sikor he might give you the measurements of his cases and people can get the PCB from you and the cases from Sikor.

Sincerely

Mathy

I'm not going to sell them using SWIFT. There are other payment systems operating in Russia, China and many other countries. And in general, this is an open project.
Anyone can make their own cartridge with access to a 3D printer and minimal soldering skills. Actually, this is the idea of the project.
Yes, I am ready to help with the manufacture of a board, a case or a finished cartridge for a moderate fee, but I can’t help in any way if there is no way to pay or deliver.

I do not like the case with a hole in the center of PCB and I originally planned to make a board without a hole. This hole interferes with the wiring and requires an additional screw to hold the case halves together.
I thought about it before doing it, but I don't like this design. I used the original ATARI cases that I had as a sample, but they are quite bulky and thick. I tried to make the case more modern and minimalistic. And somewhat more compact to fit any device.

Grey Cartridge with Red Logo in ATARI.jpg

Grey Cartridge in ATARI.jpg

Edited by prcoder

1 hour ago, Fred_M said:

Well done! Is it possible to put the Atari logo on the back of the cartridge? That way the front can be used for a label 😃

Yes, I'll think about it. Maybe on the sides or, yes, on the back. I already thought about a place for a sticker, but have not yet figured out how best to combine the logo and the sticker.