IGNORED

Why Does My Jag Hate Doom?

Silver Back

Ok so I got a copy of doom and when I loaded it up the HUD would flicker like crazy but the play field looks fine. Eventually, either partially through the first level or sometimes I can get a few levels in, the entire game locks up or crashes to a black screen. Mind you the HUD flickers in and out of existence the whole time. 

So after cleaning the cart and messing with it I decided to just get another copy of doom. It came today and I get the same thing!  So I took it to my sister's house and both carts work fine!  Now all other games work fine with no glitches or crashing on my jag but doom always has a flickering HUD and eventual crash.  I can play avp no problem, tempest no problem, NBA jam no problem, but doom has this issue.  Can anybody tell me what's going on?

I am no expert, but according to Atari in the Doom manual, all kinds of hi-jinks can ensue because "there's a lot of interference in hell".  Can you imagine having the balls to admit "Our product is known to be flawed, we are too incompetent (or cheap) to fix it, so here's a funny 'fu*k you to all who paid full retail for this' type excuse"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My sister has a Jaguar I gifted her a few years ago. I plug either doom cart into her console and it plays fine. No glitchy HUD. Now when I take them home and plug either one into my jag they have a glitchy flickering HuD and eventually the game crashes. I believe I had doom a few years back and it worked fine. So I'm led to believe some component on the board is failing.  It's just odd that I have no other issue on any other games but the one game I do have issues with works fine on my sister's Jaguar. 

16 hours ago, JagChris said:

Need more details. What was different about your sisters house and yours?

I'm hoping somebody out there can give me an idea or lead on what to do or where to start.