IGNORED

5200 power supply question

Josh8806

I have this CO14319 that I currently use for my 400, I recently purchased a 4 port 5200 without the a/c adapter, got a switch box on the way and I want to test it to make sure it works before getting a CO18187 for it. Does anyone know if I can use this CO14319 without harming the 5200? Thanks in advance, I am totally lost when it comes to volts, amps, currents and what not haha.

image.thumb.jpeg.796ab1166e88d12ce83fce0aa88efeae.jpeg

Edited by Josh8806
correct a model number

As @RB5200 stated do NOT use that PSU on your 5200. You will fry something if you do so. You need to get the proper one. Here is a link to new switching style ones sold over at Console5. They work really well and I use them for servicing 5200s on the work bench.

@Albert can also attest to how well these new supplies work because it was pretty much all we used at this years PRGE for the 5200s that were setup. Accept for one of them that still used the large Atari 400 looking PSU.

https://console5.com/store/triad-magnetics-power-supply-for-atari-5200-twin-famicom-pal-snes.html

Just now, -^CrossBow^- said:

@Albert can also attest to how well these new supplies work because it was pretty much all we used at this years PRGE for the 5200s that were setup. Accept for one of them that still used the large Atari 400 looking PSU.

Yes, they work well. My only complaint about their power supplies (also bought a bunch of their Jaguar supplies) is the cables are shorter than the OEM power supplies.  Which for me is a bit of a pain as at home I have many systems setup on shelves with large power strips on the floor to accommodate the power supplies.  With these cables, the plug can't be too far away or they don't reach.  This was a problem at PRGE as well, since the systems are sitting in front of monitors, and the cable has to get to the back of the table, then down to the floor, and possibly further away depending on where the power strips are placed on the floor. 

..Al

4 minutes ago, Albert said:

Yes, they work well. My only complaint about their power supplies (also bought a bunch of their Jaguar supplies) is the cables are shorter than the OEM power supplies.  Which for me is a bit of a pain as at home I have many systems setup on shelves with large power strips on the floor to accommodate the power supplies.  With these cables, the plug can't be too far away or they don't reach.  This was a problem at PRGE as well, since the systems are sitting in front of monitors, and the cable has to get to the back of the table, then down to the floor, and possibly further away depending on where the power strips are placed on the floor. 

..Al

That is a good point but it is quite rare to see any modern power supplies today that have cords longer than 6ft it seems. But yes, that is a valid point as they are much shorter in length compared to OEM.

Just now, -^CrossBow^- said:

That is a good point but it is quite rare to see any modern power supplies today that have cords longer than 6ft it seems. But yes, that is a valid point as they are much shorter in length compared to OEM.

Yeah, and these are 5'.  I saw this before ordering (since I've been burned by short power supply cables in the past), but decided to take a chance.  They worked out, but longer cables would have been nice.  That extra foot makes a big difference!  I have no idea how long Atari's cords are, but a regular 5200 supply has two cables connected to the heavy wart, and you have a much longer cable overall to work with.  And of course the original 2600 power supplies have ridiculously long cables!  Which tangle easily, but sure makes it easy to plug in your 2600 no matter where you want to place it.  :)

..Al

Longer cables increase resistance over distance. So it might be that we don't see much longer cords these days because the switching supplies are providing pretty much exactly bang out the output voltages they have listed. Unlike the older linear supplies where a 2600 9v PSU is actually putting out about 14v. 5200 PSUs put out about 12v on average I've found. And the best 5200 PSUs are the ones that have the cords on opposite sides and are clearly marked for use with the CX-5200 on them and are designed to be serviced more easily as they can be taken apart.

My point is that I'm sure some meeting of the minds took place in secret that figured 5 - 6ft was plenty of distance needed these days and again, the output voltage might drop too much with longer cables requiring the need to built more expensive PSUs. But that is just a theory...

• 3 months later...