IGNORED

Bot&Tom (was: Top&Tom 2)

Thomas Jentzsch

1 hour ago, Bomberman94 said:

I like your first idea and would add something: generally 2.000 extra points and (if you master the following stage without a fault) add 1.000 and so on. So maximum could be: 2.000 - 3.000 - 4.000 and so on. If you miss a perfect stage and make it perfect some stages later, it starts with 2.000 extra points again. 

I think this would only work during the first few stages. Later on, the game more and more demands making compromises. So perfect stages will become almost impossible, consecutive perfect stages even more.

Whatever you choose: it should be displayed at the bottom like „Perfect stage! +2.000 points“ or something like that (I think it will be very rewarding to actually show it if you made it😃). 

I don't have the space for something like this, but I will add an extra sound effect. And maybe I will color the score differently.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I think this would only work during the first few stages. Later on, the game more and more demands making compromises. So perfect stages will become almost impossible, consecutive perfect stages even more.

A combo bonus would be nice. ie. the more blocks you clear without error the higher the multiplier. eg. if you clear 10 obstacles without any collision the multiplier goes to 2x

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JetSetIlly said:

A combo bonus would be nice. ie. the more blocks you clear without error the higher the multiplier. eg. if you clear 10 obstacles without any collision the multiplier goes to 2x

Not sure if I can fit that into the code. And I think the player should be informed when the multiplier goes up, else (s)he probably will never notice.

42 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Not sure if I can fit that into the code. And I think the player should be informed when the multiplier goes up, else (s)he probably will never notice.

Yes. It would need an indicator of the current multiplier somewhere for it to be worthwhile.

This is refreshingly fun. It is a combination of survival and judged performance. It is nice that it is tolerant of mistakes, allowing players to develop the style without early deaths. I've played it a few times and made it to 15000 score. The high score club motivates players to git gud. Very nice.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 10:55 PM, JetSetIlly said:

Yes. It would need an indicator of the current multiplier somewhere for it to be worthwhile.

After removing the Pause function, I can squeeze in combos. :)  

Now I have three options to balance it:

1. small combo length (e.g. 10), unlimited multiplier
  2. small combo length (e.g. 10) and increase the multiplier up to a limit (e.g. x4)
  3. larger combo length (e.g. 15 or 20), unlimited multiplier

Option 1 would IMO result into too much influence of combos. Option 2 would be a bit easier than option 3, which would allow higher scores in longer and harder stages.

I tend to option 3 because expert player's score would stick out more. But I would like to hear other people's thoughts here too.

Info: Stage 1 has about 50 obstacles, Stage 9 about 80.

25 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

After removing the Pause function, I can squeeze in combos. :)  

Now I have three options to balance it:

1. small combo length (e.g. 10), unlimited multiplier
  2. small combo length (e.g. 10) and increase the multiplier up to a limit (e.g. x4)
  3. larger combo length (e.g. 15 or 20), unlimited multiplier

Option 1 would IMO result into too much influence of combos. Option 2 would be a bit easier than option 3, which would allow higher scores in longer and harder stages.

I tend to option 3 because expert player's score would stick out more. But I would like to hear other people's thoughts here too.

Info: Stage 1 has about 50 obstacles, Stage 9 about 80.

Option 3 sounds good to me too. The other option is a non-linear increase (eg. 2x after 5, 3x after 10, 4x after 20, 5x after 40). I like this idea because it gives something to players who aren't experts in addition to rewarding and differentiating experts.

How do you handle the obstacles that don't need to be avoided? Do they count towards the multiplier?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

Option 3 sounds good to me too. The other option is a non-linear increase (eg. 2x after 5, 3x after 10, 4x after 20, 5x after 40). I like this idea because it gives something to players who aren't experts in addition to rewarding and differentiating experts.

That's another good option to consider, yes. I have to check how much space it requires, I am down to 19 bytes ROM free now. :) 

8 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

How do you handle the obstacles that don't need to be avoided? Do they count towards the multiplier?

Yes, they do. Also because they can provide a challenge too. E.g. when they are followed closely by an obstacle at the bottom.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Oh, I love this game Thomas. Hooked. The combination of the smooth movement, the quick reflexes, the rubber band motion. I get into a trance while playing and I lose track of time. Sooo good! 

Tonight I just kept playing and got to level 18. Love the game! Thanks

318648375_10160350784797629_6729556845772976773_n.jpg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, MarcoJ said:

Oh, I love this game Thomas. Hooked. The combination of the smooth movement, the quick reflexes, the rubber band motion. I get into a trance while playing and I lose track of time. Sooo good! 

Tonight I just kept playing and got to level 18. Love the game! Thanks

318648375_10160350784797629_6729556845772976773_n.jpg

Awesome score!

Uploaded your screenshot to your PlusROM HSC score

@Thomas Jentzsch What happens when the score is rolled?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MarcoJ said:

Wow, thanks @Al_Nafuur for that.

you are very welcome.

2 hours ago, MarcoJ said:

I wondered how that worked. 

the screenshots can only be uploaded by the PlusROM HSC admins @Omegamatrix, @Thomas Jentzsch and me.

I have been thinking about an solution for the users to upload their screenshots themselves, by using the usernick and the device_id for the login. And restricting the upload to scores that are in the top 10.

• Like 1

I have just added version 0.94 to the first post. This one implements the multiplier suggestion from @JetSetIlly. Expect your high scores to be broken! :D 

During development I noticed a screen roll, but I was not able to reproduce it anymore. Please let me know if it happens to you too. Thanks!

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 4

The new multiplier system is satisfying for further tightening one's control. It made a big difference to score for me, level 15 and 130k, normally this would be around 70k. I did notice that during the intermission between levels the score sometimes showed incorrectly for the last digit - sometimes a shield showed up, another time a blank space showed and I thought the score had wrapped. But during gameplay the score was back to normal, and when the game was over it did show properly.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Thanks for the feedback. And for reporting the bug. 👍

On the second playthrough (before resetting the game), I noticed that there was only one instance of the last digit being changed during intermission. (161250 showed as 16125?). 

• Thanks 1

Multiplier adds much to the game - even more addictive now!

Yes, it was a very good suggestion.

Haven‘t noticed the „wrong digit bug“ with my setup but will have an eye on it. 

It is there, I have already found and corrected it.

Second place behind Marco - I have to practice more 😎

Yes, there is still room for more. Do you keep focusing on combos at later stages? Or do you just want to survive?

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

the final (unless someone finds a bug) version 1.00 has been added to the first post. I had a lot of fun while developing this little game. Thanks a lot for everyone's play testing and feedback! 👍

BTW: As announced before, old (before 8.12.22 or V0.94) PlusROM High Score Club scores will be removed. With V0.94 I have added the score multipliers, which changed the scoring significantly. 

• Like 7