IGNORED

Lemmings

Mendon

Got a chance to buy this game complete at a very good price so I'm jumping on it.

But while I'm waiting for it to arrive, was just curious as to how it plays on the Lynx. I've played and enjoyed Lemmings and its expansions/sequels on the ST but not sure how it turned out or how playable it is on the Lynx with its small display.

Any comments on how Lemmings is on the Lynx?

Thanks in advance!

Mendon

It plays extremely well on the Lynx. The developers (DMA Design) implemented the controls very wisely on the Lynx. Switching abilities is now done by bringing up a secondary screen with all of the icons (which effectively "pauses" the action on the main game screen.

One button is also used as a speed toggle, which when activated causes everything in the game to progress about 3-4 times faster than normal. This is great for those instances when you've already created a safe path throughout the level, but don't want to have to wait a minute or two for all of the lemmings to trudge through it. You can just turn on the speed, and they'll traverse it in a matter of seconds.

Since the Lynx has such a large screen, the lemming characters are easily visible. You'll have no problem making out details in the characters or the landscapes.

It's well worth playing, even if you've already completed the game on other systems.

It plays extremely well on the Lynx. The developers (DMA Design) implemented the controls very wisely on the Lynx.

Do you know if this is the same DMA Design that went on to create Grand Theft Auto?

It is! They're now known as Rockstar North.

DMA Design also created the original Commodore Amiga version of Lemmings. They may have also done the Atari ST version (I'm not sure), as well as some other ports.

• 3 weeks later...

Lemmings is absolutely great on the Lynx. It's better than any other handheld version of the game, and it's great even by console standards.

A menu is accessed by pressing B, which pauses the game while in it and you can select your actions at you leisure. A is action, of course. Top option button is double time, great for clearing the lemmings once the stage is set up. And the middle option button is pause.

The problem with other handheld versions is...well, for Game Gear and GameBoy anyways, a 10 sprite rule, that's the most those systems can have without flickering.

I remember buying Lemmings on GameBoy Color, because lets face it, Lynx is a battery hog, not as much as GameGear, but still. I got my GBC lemmings home, poped it in, and was greated by some sorry excuse for music. I could understand voice being cut due to laziness or something. But the music is just aweful. It's not even the same tunes or anything, they're all new, and pretty much suck. The second thing I noticed about the GBC version is, the graphics. Hey, Lynx can only do 16 colors, GBC can do 52. So...can anybody explain why the GBC version looks so much worse? Partly, because none of the environments are animated. But mostly because the color palate isn't used well. Then the third thing, and most inexcusable. I was expecting the lemmings to come out and flicker badly cause that was to many in a row for the system to handle. But NOO, GBC drops 10 and thats it, on any stage. From there, all your actions have weird quirks that make them unuseual, like the brick layer lays a brick, and it doesn't show up till he steps up.

Anyhow...Lemmings. Awesome game on Lynx. If you want it on another handheld, get the Genesis version and a Nomad, the only handheld competition to it. If you want it on a less battery hog system, your out of luck.

Heh, I love the game, and have been playing it a lot lately. I've run through three sets of batteries recently, with just that one game in it. And considering Lynx gets about 5-7 hours of play, considering if you let it rest or whatnot, that's a lot of hours to run a single game. Buy it, love it, be happy. :D

I remember buying Lemmings on GameBoy Color, because lets face it,

I got my GBC lemmings home, poped it in, and was greated by some sorry excuse for music. I could understand voice being cut due to laziness or something. But the music is just aweful. It's not even the same tunes or anything, they're all new, and pretty much suck. The second thing I noticed about the GBC version is, the graphics. Hey, Lynx can only do 16 colors, GBC can do 52. So...can anybody explain why the GBC version looks so much worse? Partly, because none of the environments are animated. But mostly because the color palate isn't used well. Then the third thing, and most inexcusable. I was expecting the lemmings to come out and flicker badly cause that was to many in a row for the system to handle. But NOO, GBC drops 10 and thats it, on any stage. From there, all your actions have weird quirks that make them unuseual, like the brick layer lays a brick, and it doesn't show up till he steps up.

agreed. One of my favorite things about the PC version of lemmings is the music, and when I got the GBC version, I get some depressing, repetitive sounds: very boring.

I had Lemmings for the lynx when it came out, i kept all my lynx stuff until about a year ago and foolishly i sold it all off except one lynx 1, carrycase, a few carts etc.. the Lemmings sadly did go..

Since i got my proto 2mbit cart, i can once again enjoy the delights of regular Lemmings lynx play, without some of the stomach churning cartridge prices :) I nearly forgot just how good Lemmings is.. i am once again addicted (along with Chip challenge ;)

i havn't finished filling out the EPROM collection yet, but it's incredibly nice to be able to play just about any lynx game on the real thing :)

http://www.andys-arcade.net/lynxgames.JPG

is what i have so far, and yes, i made up little geeky labels, just to make them a bit more interesting, and also so i remember to put them in the correct eprom cart (1mbit or 2mbit) :)

hurrah for dev carts...