IGNORED

How did you get your first Atari computer?

bfollowell

18 minutes ago, Keatah said:

2nd time again. Please point out the specific post.

I already did once. I even quoted you. It's about three posts down from the top of the seventh page.

You weren't the only one though, so even if you didn't mean it the way I took it, others did. It's all good. Any day that goes by and I'm only called an ass or accused of being one is a good day.

4 minutes ago, zzip said:

That's kind of an extreme example,  maybe more like you wanted camping stores about sleeping in tents around a campfire and some people start posting stories about camping in campers.   Not quite the same kind of camplng, but the camper people feel "why is my story not valid?  we even roasted s'mores!"

So I guess the choice was to either include those stories or have other threads pop up  "How did you steal your first Atari", "What Atari computer did Santa bring you" "How did you win your first Atari from the McDonalds contest".. etc.

Yeah, I could see that's where it was going, and either no one noticed what the thread was really intended for, or just didn't care, so I had a moderator just change the name. Now all stories are welcome, even the most benign or the most sordid.

2 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

I was part of an elite SAS team, our mission, infiltrate Atari HQ and find the prototype machine our intelligence had heard about. Apparently it was going to be the main technology in a push against the Soviets. We knew the HQ was well guarded but our insiders had let us know that many of the team were "out of their heads", we took this to mean they were working on some sort of brain transfer system, it wasn't till later we found out what it really meant. Carefully, we advanced through their perimeter and entered the main lab. There sat the prototype in all it's shining glory. You could tell this was serious tech.

We bundled the proto into our specially made tech case and made off into the night..

And that is how I got my first Atari...

It's a story init...Not true but could be :)

The real question is, during your "raid" did you uncover the semi-legendary, only mythical so far, secret DOOM level that had Atari Corp

executives as the creatures in the levels (so you could bloody well frag them!!!)...    :)

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

The real question is, during your "raid" did you uncover the semi-legendary, only mythical so far, secret DOOM level that had Atari Corp

executives as the creatures in the levels (so you could bloody well frag them!!!)...    :)

Sadly, we were not tasked with that mission...

I heard that story as well...

• Sad 1

Birthday present from parents. Went to local store called Video Games Express and bought a brand new 800XL and 1050 drive. Can't recall actual year, but thinking it was around 1985?

I still have both units in the Atari collection with original boxes and manuals and they still work as they did when new. 1050 did however need some adjustments a few years ago when it stopped reading disks. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Keatah said:

I never called you an ass by name. If you feel offended by a generic statement, means you could be guilty.

Nope, I never denounced anyone's story, so no guilt here at all. My conscience is perfectly clear. If that's not the way you meant it, then I'm perfectly fine with that explanation.

20 hours ago, DarkLord said:

You know.... other than the sprites if we know the floor plan of the Atari building I bet Saturn could make that version of Doom happen on the Jaguar!

Anyone have the Atari building floor plan?   (The one back in the 80s and 90s... not current)

• Like 2

My first Atari computer was a gently used 1040STf w/SC1224 that I picked up for $350 circa 1992. That's about it.

My second Atari computer is a much more interesting story - a used 1200XL that I found at a computer thrift shop in Santa Cruz, CA (USA), circa 1996.

The shop in question had a penchant for screwing people over and had done so to several people I knew (myself included). I saw the 1200XL sitting on a shelf with a sticker on it marked $50. I peeled the sticker off and went up to the counter. I showed the machine to the derelict-of-the-week and told him I'd give him $25 for it. He looked at it for a second and replied "Uhhhmm... sure, I guess." I gave him the $25 and walked out with it quite happily. I had fun with it until I found out how few of them there were in existence, so I bought a used 800XL to put the mileage on and gave the 1200XL to a friend who had never seen one in person before (a VERY serious French Atari collector).