IGNORED

Using SIO2PC with RespeQt

TGB1718

I have a couple of USB to Serial adaptors that I've tried many times to use with my 8 Bits (800,800XL,130XE)

and the result is the same, intermittent/poor communications making it unreliable, I have 2 different USB devices 

and they both act the same way.

My SIO2PC is an original I built back in the 90's using Nick Kennedy's original documentation, I know the SIO2PC

works fine as I have a couple of old PC's that work well with it.

So I bought one of these and put it in my PC:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303920047558

£8.99 including post and packing (bargain), it installs itself as Multifunction Adaptors (one for each port)

and then 2 new COM ports appear under Ports (COM & LPT) where you can configure them if needed.

I ran RespeQt using PCL3: on my 130XE, it worked fine, no errors and I was really pleased, so I then

configured it to run at divisor zero, it can run all day with this setting, no errors and my cable between

8 bits and PC is over 15 feet long.

One happy boy here :)

• Like 3

Glad it has worked well for you, but I am surprised about your lack of success with the USB setup.  My first thought is whether the +15 feet is an issue.  Did you have real FTDI chips for the converters?  A lot of the knock-offs didn't work well.

On 11/28/2022 at 1:19 AM, Larry said:

My first thought is whether the +15 feet is an issue.

With SIO2PC I used a genuine MAX232 chip, so for that the length is fine (don't think the Chinese knock of factories had been built then :) )

On 11/28/2022 at 1:19 AM, Larry said:

Did you have real FTDI chips for the converters?  A lot of the knock-offs didn't work well.

Unknown as the are sealed, you are probably right about the length when using one of these as they probably don't

handle noise very well. I do have some USB FDTI convertors but it would be a bit messy connecting one of these without

putting a plug/cable on one.

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2022 at 6:47 AM, TGB1718 said:

One happy boy here :)

Sounds like you have a solution that makes you happy so that's good.

On 11/27/2022 at 6:47 AM, TGB1718 said:

I have a couple of USB to Serial adaptors that I've tried many times to use with my 8 Bits (800,800XL,130XE)

and the result is the same, intermittent/poor communications making it unreliable, I have 2 different USB devices 

and they both act the same way.

I don't think this is a post asking for any help or advise, more like reporting in on your experience. But for what it might be worth I had similar problems. I purchased these devices: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D9R5JFK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 which I were described as known working and yet they worked poorly. I then went through several others. Ultimately I found 2 devices that worked well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FVHNF31/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BBPX8B8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so to Larry's point, I wouldn't say your experience is typical and might have something else to do with what you are using. I just think that cable lengths and chips were Larry possibly misreading what you posted; that these cable lengths were in relation to the SIO2PC solution you ended up with, not the USB solutions you were initially having issues with. 

I assumed the 15 ft applied to both setups.  15 ft would be quite acceptable to a true RS232.  I don't know about a usb converter, hence my thinking it might be a source of the problem.  But to reiterate, nearly all problems I have heard of resulted from ftdi clones.  One even bit me.

10 hours ago, Larry said:

I assumed the 15 ft applied to both setups.  15 ft would be quite acceptable to a true RS232.

I can remember back in the 80's setting up a remote terminal (VT100) in another room at work with a direct connection

to the computer via RS232, we had to use a 120 foot long cable and it worked fine, I suppose that's what you get when

the logic levels are +/- 12VDC