IGNORED

Fujinet and Ultimate 1MB

naujoks

I just installed an Ultimate 1MB in my 800XL.

I wanted to use it with my Fujinet, but it's not working. It's trying to boot sometimes but then halts, sometimes it boots successfully but then freezes during operation.

I tried what's been suggested elswhere, booting into SpartaDOS, then resetting Fujinet and typing COLD /N, but that doesn't work either.

I connected the Fujinet to USB power, that seemed to make things a bit more stable than without, but not much.

Anything else I could try? Is Fujinet and U1MB not the best combination? What's better?

1 hour ago, naujoks said:

I just installed an Ultimate 1MB in my 800XL.

I wanted to use it with my Fujinet, but it's not working. It's trying to boot sometimes but then halts, sometimes it boots successfully but then freezes during operation.

I tried what's been suggested elswhere, booting into SpartaDOS, then resetting Fujinet and typing COLD /N, but that doesn't work either.

I connected the Fujinet to USB power, that seemed to make things a bit more stable than without, but not much.

Anything else I could try? Is Fujinet and U1MB not the best combination? What's better?

Sorry I cannot help with the FujiNet issue.  Regarding your other question:

Depends on what you mean by better.  FujiNet is a serial device meaning it can only run disk or cassette images, along with the cool online features it provides.  If you want something like a multi-cart, then SIDE2, SIDE3 (or AVG which can emulate SIDE2) really shine with the U1MB as you get a parallel port based hard drive capable of 60 to 90kB/sec loading times depending on DOS used.  They can also play cart (ROM) based images as well they offer specialized audio and video playback which is only possible via hard drive.

• Like 1

@naujoks

If your Atari still has the filter caps on it's SIO port, you should remove them.

Fujinet sometimes seems to get into a fight over I/O routines and such, please configure any high speed patches etc. so that they are not interfering. Furthermore

Make sure you have both the Fujinet and the U1M configured about the same for most things (SDX user area config, startup)... this keeps the experience even, and limits some surprises.

make sure the headers and ribbons are mated properly so there is not intermittent or high resistance connection within the header or the socket they plug into.

if everything is good but the u1m and fujinet still don't get along, try reflashing them both, and make sure to reprogram the u1m as well.

failing that you would then consider a hardware issue with the fuji,atari, or u1m

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...