IGNORED

Buttons on 7800 controller aren't working. Any possible solutions?

PlutoniumPasta

I have a 7800 controller that I've been holding onto for a while. Mostly because I'm getting close to finishing my 2600 collection and I'm starting my 7800 collection. I found it for a cheap price at a store and it worked fine for the longest time. But over time the buttons started being less and less responsive. And now they finally don't work at all. The the rest of the controller works fine, it's only the 2 buttons. It's not the system itself because I have used it on another systems like the 2600 and the buttons still don't work. I have fixed a few Atari products and I trust myself with opening up the controller and taking stuff apart. If that is required to fix the issue. Thanks! :D

as a former 7800 owner (I use emulation these days) the 7800 controller buttons use dome switches that constantly break...i imagine finding replacement domes must be highly difficult. 

I cannot remember how many dome switches I replaced in my time (it was ALOT and they were easy to get) but I eventually gave away all my hardware and carts and went to emulation and was able to use any controller I wanted....sooo much easier and way less headaches.

I get that there are those that want only real hardware....but real hardware has its problems that have got to be getting more and more difficult to rectify hardware issues these days

Cheers

Edited by NIKON
grammer

Yea that's just kind of the nature of collecting the original hardware. I'll open it up and see if the domes are broken but if they are I'm not going to fix them since I couldn't find a single place that has them available or even sells them. Beside the 7800 controller is a pretty uncomfortable mediocre controller so why try to fix it? If I want a replacement I'll just buy a new one. But for now I'm just gonna stick with the 2600 joystick or a Sega Genesis controller. Thanks for helping though!

Console5 was about the only source I knew of for new domes but they haven't had any in stock for some time now. Although, some of their Intellivision 2 kits still include a replacement dome for those so who knows?

I thought Best Electronics still offered and sold the dome switches by themselves? Aside from that, the other option would be to buy up junker 7800 and 2600 controllers and use the domes off them. But since you said both buttons aren't working, might also mean a common wire for them might have come loose or broken internally?

That Edladdin controller is so nice :D

Having said that, I have four painProLine joysticks, and all of them have had the Best CX24 Upgrade matched set of 3 PCBs installed in them.  Two are free-floating; two are in a joystick coupler.  This upgrade is worth installing.

If you decide to order from Best, let us know - it's a little different to how things usually work.  We can help with that.

• Like 1

I got the euro pads a long time ago, so that's what I use. Basically like the nes controller with silicone carbon dots for the buttons. The us sticks imo suck.

Like others have said, genesis controllers work (only one button though) but the 7800 pads are great imo and work unmoded as proper two button controllers.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

They are good until it’s time

for dual joy robotron. Otherwise, 100% agree.

As soon as I get one more adapter...My thought on Robotron will be to use this stick I have that is basically a clone of an X-Arcade (Or just use my X-Arcade).  I'll simply run one PS2-to-Megadrive adapter (Which also work for Atari) for each cable (each stick) and then plug in both cables to the 7800.  Voilà!

This:

0222io7GTf56SZ9UZcKtV2b-1.fit_scale.size

Plus 2 of these:

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

As soon as I get one more adapter...My thought on Robotron will be to use this stick I have that is basically a clone of an X-Arcade (Or just use my X-Arcade).  I'll simply run one PS2-to-Megadrive adapter (Which also work for Atari) for each cable (each stick) and then plug in both cables to the 7800.  Voilà!

This:

0222io7GTf56SZ9UZcKtV2b-1.fit_scale.size

Plus 2 of these:

s-l1600.jpg

cool!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Game with adapter*

*Coming soon to the Atari Age store.

Ooooh...  Another reason to buy the cartridge.  Nice.

26 minutes ago, Trebor said:

+ controller = Solution alternative.

A pair of these were a Christmas present to my wife about 3 years ago.  They're actually pretty decent, assuming no changes in manufacturing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

They are good until it’s time

for dual joy robotron. Otherwise, 100% agree.

Edladdin Controllers has you covered with their Super Twin 78 joystick. IMO it’s the best controller for Robotron and it provides independent Player 1 & Player 2 gameplay. You can read all about it here: https://edladdin.com/Super-Twin-78-ec-1-002.htm

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Edladdin Controllers has you covered with their Super Twin 78 joystick. IMO it’s the best controller for Robotron and it provides independent Player 1 & Player 2 gameplay. You can read all about it here: https://edladdin.com/Super-Twin-78-ec-1-002.htm

Yes! True!

Now, what about for twerps like me who aren't even considered adults? :D 

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

Until Vintage Computer Centre exited the business, they were 3D-printing the Atari 7800 Controller Coupling.  The one that I'm using is from VCC, and it's properly decent.  Differences between it and the Thingiverse model are basically unimportant.  There is a lot to be said for a decently-heavy (and solid) base with twin-stick games, though.

This is by no means a knock on Edladdin's Super Twin, but the coupler in conjunction with the Best upgrade PCBs in the joysticks is really nice.  The standalones also have Best's PCBs in them, but they're generally kept in reserve as spares.

Sometimes you can take a small flathead screwdriver and push it under those domes and pop them back up again. As long as they aren't too worn out, this can refresh your controller for a little while. I did this with the old original 2600 joysticks for years until they just got too worn out.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 4:48 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

Until Vintage Computer Centre exited the business, they were 3D-printing the Atari 7800 Controller Coupling.  The one that I'm using is from VCC, and it's properly decent.  Differences between it and the Thingiverse model are basically unimportant.  There is a lot to be said for a decently-heavy (and solid) base with twin-stick games, though.

This is by no means a knock on Edladdin's Super Twin, but the coupler in conjunction with the Best upgrade PCBs in the joysticks is really nice.  The standalones also have Best's PCBs in them, but they're generally kept in reserve as spares.

I know it serves a purpose and everything...But I'd just like to point out that these look like Robot Feet in Futuristic Sandals!

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 3

On 12/6/2022 at 3:05 PM, GoldLeader said:

I know it serves a purpose and everything...But I'd just like to point out that these look like Robot Feet in Futuristic Sandals!

maxresdefault.jpg

I knew that there was something the comment and photo reminded me of; just took a bit to remember it:

https://64.media.tumblr.com/5b3433a71ddb04b9f25b51de6be914f9/tumblr_ndrpnhNfZp1sqyje7o1_400.gif

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, mutterminder said:

I have a couple of these, which are essentially Generic  NES game-pads that have been customized.  A little overpriced, but it's nice to have a reliable, comfortable controller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264477702289?hash=item3d94197891

Good price compared to the overpriced euro pads. At one time Best had the euro pads for like $15 each

• Like 1