IGNORED

Vcs worth it?

Video

Been looking at this thing for a while, for the longest time it simply wasn't available anywhere (game stops folded left and right around here) but they're finally trickling into places I actually have accounts at. 

I know somewhere between zero and nothing about it. Prices are all over the place, but $350 seems the common ground, for a system with a pad and a stick. I'm pretty sure its a dl console, but if its streaming I'd probably pass, as were to far from the servers for game streaming. I don't like dl games but uh...Atari :)

What would I need to know about it? Do I need a service (like Xbox live) or can it game without it. Are games attached to your console, or do you need the server to play them? Is it decent for video/music streaming) can I plug in SD, or hdd for more memory? And I guess most importantly, is the thing still actively being supported?

Only experience with things like this is fire tv (ok, but not a lot of games, and the controllers connectivity sucked) and Amazon cube, but I think that doesn't play games. Both were sub $100 consoles when I bought them, but were really aimed at movie streaming services.

• Like 1

If you are wanting to buy one and live in the US, just order direct from Atari for $179-$239 right now, depending on if you want the optional controllers or not.

Also, it's not a console.  People keep getting themselves in knots over this.  It is a standard AMD powered PC.  By default it is pre-installed with it's own Linux called AtariOS.  This lets you sign up to an online store, download games and play them.  The games you download just run on the console, actually they are simply Linux PC compatible games.   You can also stream games off XBox etc IF you want.  You can also go online with the Chrome browser, stream media etc. etc. again, if you want.

Alternatively, plug in an external drive, or you can open the case and install an internal M.2 drive.  Then you can install a standard PC operating system like Windows or Linux and use it like any other PC.  That's how I use mine.

Comparing the VCS to other consoles isn't an accurate or fair comparison.  Comparing it to other similar mini PCs, the VCS is fantastic value and is very flexible.

Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by THX-1138
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Video said:

I know somewhere between zero and nothing about it. Prices are all over the place, but $350 seems the common ground, for a system with a pad and a stick. I'm pretty sure its a dl console, but if its streaming I'd probably pass, as were to far from the servers for game streaming. I don't like dl games but uh...Atari :)

What would I need to know about it? Do I need a service (like Xbox live) or can it game without it. Are games attached to your console, or do you need the server to play them? Is it decent for video/music streaming) can I plug in SD, or hdd for more memory? And I guess most importantly, is the thing still actively being supported?

You can download games, or stream from it (your choice)

No service is required

Yes you can expand the storage and memory,  you can either plug in an external USB drive, or install an internal m.2 drive

Should be fine for music and video streaming (if the service you want is available)

And Atari is still releasing games for it on a regular basis.

For price,  Atari is running Black Friday/ Cyber Week sales right now on thier website, that's currently the best deal going:

https://atari.com/collections/shop?filter.p.product_type=Hardware&sort_by=manual

The other thing you should know is it can also be used as a PC,  so even if Atari did stop supporting them tomorrow, it wouldn't become a useless brick.

58 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

Also, it's not a console.  People keep getting themselves in knots over this.  It is a standard AMD powered PC.  By default it is pre-installed with it's own Linux called AtariOS. 

Well The PS5 and Xbox Series X/S are also AMD Ryzen based,  everyone still calls them consoles.   To me 'console' isn't defined by what hardware is inside, it's about whether you can operate a system from the comfort of your couch with just a game controller, (vs needing a keyboard/mouse),   Using AtariOS, this meets that definition of console.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Video said:

Been looking at this thing for a while, for the longest time it simply wasn't available anywhere (game stops folded left and right around here) but they're finally trickling into places I actually have accounts at. 

Only experience with things like this is fire tv (ok, but not a lot of games, and the controllers connectivity sucked) and Amazon cube, but I think that doesn't play games. Both were sub $100 consoles when I bought them, but were really aimed at movie streaming services.

If you are truly interested I would buy one from Atari direct during their Black Friday sale going on through tomorrow.  The "all in bundle" includes a modern controller and a classic style joystick.  I like mine but I also realize that it's not for everyone.  At $239.00 though it's a really good deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

If you are truly interested I would buy one from Atari direct during their Black Friday sale going on through tomorrow.  The "all in bundle" includes a modern controller and a classic style joystick.  I like mine but I also realize that it's not for everyone.  At $239.00 though it's a really good deal.

Would echo buying direct from Atari given the sale. It's a steal IMHO and will well live up to that price point. It's important to know what it is and what to expect. I was looking for a retro console with the ability to play classics and some modern games via streaming or Steam. This delivered, and thanks to a 500GB external hard drive, it can harness some things that I would seek elsewhere, like Minecraft. The AtariOS games are limited, base storage is at a premium, and it can be quirky at times, but it succeeds far more than it fails and has been a hell of a lot of fun for me and my family. And I achieved my initial mission, which was to hook my kids on classic games while letting them discover modern ones. Hope you pick one up, and enjoy. 

• Like 1

I also took advantage of the ability to get a $239 VCS bundle. That’s a good price for the “Atari box” and two controllers. Had it been introduced at that price I assume it would have done much better, maybe even established a better niche product.

It’s a nice retro console, albeit with a very limited library. The classic controller is pretty amazing for retro Atari games, including paddle games. Eagerly awaiting Atari 50. I’m hoping the community finds an easy way to load other 2600, 7800, and MAME games as AtariOS games as it’s a nice simple joystick driven menu system.

It’s alternatively a nice mini PC, although you’ll need to add USB or M.2 storage to be truly usable. It runs Windows reasonably well, although benefits from adding RAM if doing anything serious. I loaded some Steam games in Windows and they were fine.

At the $239 price point, it is a good deal. That being said, I would also encourage to be clear about what you want to use it for before pulling the trigger. I've spent a decent chunk of change on my with upgrade and accessories, probably more then most. While it does what I want it to do, my experience has also been very frustrating at time due to bugs and I would not purchase this thing again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that one of the biggest appeals of the VCS are the games that take advantage of the Classic controller. Games like Thrustlander, Breakout and some others are a unique experience on the VCS because of that.

The other thing I would say is that the community is unique. If you are interested in discussions with people at Atari and those developing games for the system, it is cool to have access to the Discord.

Edited by stirrell

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

@SoCalAttorney can you think of anything the VCS does better than anything else? Or unique system exclusives? 

I think it compares very favorably with similarly priced Chromebooks and I think this article sums up the potential nicely: https://chromeunboxed.com/the-atari-vcs-just-merged-work-and-play-with-this-google-workspace-upgrade/.

I used it as my main work computer. I installed Windows 10 Pro on an internal 1TB SSD and 32gb of 3200MHz. I even have in running dual monitors in Windows. So it is a flexible platform, but I have had some quality control issue with mine.

11 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

@SoCalAttorney can you think of anything the VCS does better than anything else? Or unique system exclusives? 

It's much better than a Raspberry Pi to use as a retro-gaming box.  Main reason I bought mine.   

The AtariOS store is what it is,  Atari has done a better job than I expected bringing content, but there's few exclusives to speak of.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SoCalAttorney said:

I think it compares very favorably with similarly priced Chromebooks and I think this article sums up the potential nicely: https://chromeunboxed.com/the-atari-vcs-just-merged-work-and-play-with-this-google-workspace-upgrade/.

I used it as my main work computer. I installed Windows 10 Pro on an internal 1TB SSD and 32gb of 3200MHz. I even have in running dual monitors in Windows. So it is a flexible platform, but I have had some quality control issue with mine.

I think I would agree with this.  In it's default AtariOS configuration it works better than any Chromebook device, does all that Google stuff well via the browser and obviously has the VCS gaming aspect.

But installing Windows or in my case, Linux really makes the most of it as a PC.  I now have two, one is a home media/gaming system and the other has replaced my desktop PC.  I have an M.2 installed but haven't upgraded the RAM yet, but it handles everything I'm chucking at it.  I'm coding on it, doing circuit design and simulation, 3D modelling and rendering, audio and video work, no problem.  Also running the games downloaded via AtariOS, GOG, Steam and all my retro Atari stuff.  As a small PC I still believe it's one of the best on the market and it's a shame Atari haven't been more proactive in selling it worldwide.  I'm enjoying using it as much as I did my old Atari computers back in the day.

I've also never had -any- problems with mine, either machine that were not of my own making.

• Like 2

I agree with most of what has been said already.

I used it as a console regularly. The game library is limited (still has ongoing releases), and has few exclusives, but I've found most are really good indie fare. Also, the games that make good use of the classic controller are awesome (it's the definitive way to play those games in my opinion).

I also regularly use it as a mini gaming PC. It's been able to handle the steam games that I've thrown at it so far. I am planning on installing extra RAM to really get the most out of it. 

I have been very satisfied with it myself.

Thanks for the info guys, I mostly want one for classic and classic style games. I've got plenty of streaming boxes and computers. I got in just on the sale line (probably be another around xmas) got it bundled with the speaker hat, no idea how that works, or practicality, but its an Atari logo, and a lot cheaper than the original pos of like $99 (I think) so unless it just sucks to wear, I figure its ok for the $30 ish it cost.

Speaking of paddle games, are there controllers? I know the pad probably uses the sticks like a paddle, but just something about a knob you know? I did get a second stick for multiplayer ed games, there's the supposed free vault, and a lot of 8 bits for $1-$10 range.

6 minutes ago, Video said:

Thanks for the info guys, I mostly want one for classic and classic style games. I've got plenty of streaming boxes and computers. I got in just on the sale line (probably be another around xmas) got it bundled with the speaker hat, no idea how that works, or practicality, but its an Atari logo, and a lot cheaper than the original pos of like $99 (I think) so unless it just sucks to wear, I figure its ok for the $30 ish it cost.

Speaking of paddle games, are there controllers? I know the pad probably uses the sticks like a paddle, but just something about a knob you know? I did get a second stick for multiplayer ed games, there's the supposed free vault, and a lot of 8 bits for $1-$10 range.

So if you're talking about the bundle, it comes with one modern and one retro controller. The retro (classic joystick) has a twist motion that replicates the 2600 paddles. While it isn't a perfect recreation it is pretty true to the motion and feel of the classic games (particularly on games like Tempest and Warlords). Hope you enjoy it.

Edited by Atarick

On 12/2/2022 at 12:02 PM, THX-1138 said:

I think I would agree with this.  In it's default AtariOS configuration it works better than any Chromebook device, does all that Google stuff well via the browser and obviously has the VCS gaming aspect.

But installing Windows or in my case, Linux really makes the most of it as a PC.  I now have two, one is a home media/gaming system and the other has replaced my desktop PC.  I have an M.2 installed but haven't upgraded the RAM yet, but it handles everything I'm chucking at it.  I'm coding on it, doing circuit design and simulation, 3D modelling and rendering, audio and video work, no problem.  Also running the games downloaded via AtariOS, GOG, Steam and all my retro Atari stuff.  As a small PC I still believe it's one of the best on the market and it's a shame Atari haven't been more proactive in selling it worldwide.  I'm enjoying using it as much as I did my old Atari computers back in the day.

I've also never had -any- problems with mine, either machine that were not of my own making.

Ironically, I've had absolutely zero problems when using it as a Windows machine. My first VCS was a total lemon and Atari replaced it. I still have a couple of problems that Atari has not been able to resolve, but it works fine most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Why would they give it the exact same name as the original system, but have it be different? That's so annoying.Anyway I'd been seeing their ads popping up all over MobyGames, which never had ads before. Not even a bit of interest from me, but supposing it sells a lot of units, and plays the original games, it just goes to show how strange early gamers can be. While ostensibly liking old things, they seem to have more interest in new ones. And are always drawn to these corporations like bees to honey.

That reminds me, I don't have much of a pulse on new games, to say the least (LOL) but haven't some of these factories that are constantly churning out sequels to profitable games (e.g. Mario and Zelda, who are still as young as they were in the '80s!) at times lapsed into an extreme pretentiousness that is somewhat comparable to this, where they actually create one of their sequels that has the same name as the original game? I'm almost positive this was done with Tomb Raider and maybe even Ninja Gaiden. Some of those chaps really need to seek a new job. Sheesh. The ship has sailed. Who buys this stuff?

By the way I still have a 'VCS' (an actual one, I suppose I will need to specify) not this counterfeit one. Use it for paddle games only, Stella for everything else. Needed a pretty major soldering repair not long ago, but still works pretty well.

Edited by DiamondLetsPlays