IGNORED

2bigicons UNTESTED hack of 4scores mini kernel by Karl G

Gemintronic

I have modified Karl Gs 4scores mini kernel to instead display 2 bigger digits.  Reasons:

* I couldn't figure out how to display 4 bigger digits

* Some of the variables used conflicted with 6lives_statusbar when I used both mini kernels

Variables p2score, p2scorecolor p3score and p3scorecolor are used.  I'd make sure to remove the normal score by adding a " const noscore = 1".  Demo has a modified score_graphics.asm that has custom character graphics in A-F.

Extremely nervous this might not work on real hardware.  If anyone could confirm if the screen is stable and/or I'm not going over cycle that would be super!

2bigicons.thumb.png.3e29ad47766ce54902a0815580b91d4c.png

2bigicons.asm 2bigicons.bin score_graphics.asm

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

Extremely nervous this might not work on real hardware.  If anyone could confirm if the screen is stable and/or I'm not going over cycle that would be super!

👍

Works on my PAL 2600 Jr.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KevKelley said:

Cool. Love seeing such variation. It would be neat if four big icons could be figured out. 

Not a savvy enough to modify the way things are drawn but it feels like it wouldn't take much.  Vaguely remember displaying all 4 scores and the multi sprite kernel was having issues going over cycle.

I don't think there's a way to do 4 big icons. You can either set NUSIZx to display a wider player sprite, or multiple copies of a player sprite. My 4scores minikernel displays two copies each for each of the player graphics, and changes the color and bits on the fly to get 4 distinct score displays. It's not possible to display player sprites as double-width and multiple copies at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Come to think of it, this probably could be done by having each player set to 2 copies wide, and have them next to each other. This would also allow each big icon to be 16 pixels in width rather than just stretched. I could try making this minikernel sometime if someone wants to use it in their project.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Karl G said:

Come to think of it, this probably could be done by having each player set to 2 copies wide, and have them next to each other. This would also allow each big icon to be 16 pixels in width rather than just stretched. I could try making this minikernel sometime if someone wants to use it in their project.

If you could take a glance at the mini kernel here and see if I fatally pooched it that would be much appreciated.  My changes were all trial and error without actual knowledge.  Adding a WSYNC or eating up time to position score digits.