IGNORED

Was there ever a VCS Adventure clone?

Hawkeye68

I think there was one done in Basic.  Likely it attempts to match the layout and gameplay but likely doesn't use any code or assets from the original.

I don't know of any modern day effort to port the original, but it would give more sense of completeness if a matching version existed.

4 hours ago, Rybags said:

I think there was one done in Basic.  Likely it attempts to match the layout and gameplay but likely doesn't use any code or assets from the original.

I don't know of any modern day effort to port the original, but it would give more sense of completeness if a matching version existed.

This looks like it's the one you're referring to: 2600 Adventure

Thanks for the replies.  I'll download and spend some time with the APX titles.  I remember reading about "Galahad and the Holy Grail" but never tried it.

I did buy Marc Benioff's "Crypt of the Undead" at a liquidation fire sale and played it all the way through.  It was kind of a fun game, despite being written in Atari BASIC.

As many of us came over from the VCS, and many of us loved Adventure, sure seems like a missed opportunity for Atari.

I have 2 ports of Adventure for Atari 8-bit.   An old one written in BASIC which doesn't perform the best,  and the newer one from Phaeron.   Both are 1:1 ports and don't really add or improve anything in the game

When I got my Atari 8-bit,  one thing I was hopping for was better Adventure games with improved graphics in the vein of Adventure and Raiders of the Lost Ark.   But what soon happened on the computer side was adventure games were dominated by text adventures and text/graphics and that evolved into the Sierra/Kings Quest style adventure and the LucasArts style Adventures (both of which Atari 8-bit missed out on)

For the graphical more action-oriented "explore areas"/"find objects"/kill enemies" type adventure was replaced by full RPG type games that required a much bigger time commitment.

Here's a few games I can think of that may or may not be what you're looking for:

Maxwell Manor (more of a creepy/horror game, but has that room explorer/item collection that reminds me of the Adventure/Raiders genre)

Ali Baba and 40 thieves

Return of Hercules

Adventure Creator - allows you create small adventures of this type.  I don't think it's that good though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zzip said:

I have 2 ports of Adventure for Atari 8-bit.   An old one written in BASIC which doesn't perform the best,  and the newer one from Phaeron.   Both are 1:1 ports and don't really add or improve anything in the game

When I got my Atari 8-bit,  one thing I was hopping for was better Adventure games with improved graphics in the vein of Adventure and Raiders of the Lost Ark.   But what soon happened on the computer side was adventure games were dominated by text adventures and text/graphics and that evolved into the Sierra/Kings Quest style adventure and the LucasArts style Adventures (both of which Atari 8-bit missed out on)

For the graphical more action-oriented "explore areas"/"find objects"/kill enemies" type adventure was replaced by full RPG type games that required a much bigger time commitment.

Here's a few games I can think of that may or may not be what you're looking for:

Maxwell Manor (more of a creepy/horror game, but has that room explorer/item collection that reminds me of the Adventure/Raiders genre)

Ali Baba and 40 thieves

Return of Hercules

Adventure Creator - allows you create small adventures of this type.  I don't think it's that good though.

I keep thinking Adventure Creator needs an updated version.  I have been thinking about how cool it would be to create an "engine" like rpg maker for the 8bits so that people who are not good at coding, could design an RPG.

16 hours ago, leech said:

I keep thinking Adventure Creator needs an updated version.  I have been thinking about how cool it would be to create an "engine" like rpg maker for the 8bits so that people who are not good at coding, could design an RPG.

I was coding one back in the day,  had the graphics and map editor working and some of the game logic.   Unfortunately I lost most of my 8-bit code.   I still have the version I ported to ST (and later PC) though.  

11 hours ago, zzip said:

I was coding one back in the day,  had the graphics and map editor working and some of the game logic.   Unfortunately I lost most of my 8-bit code.   I still have the version I ported to ST (and later PC) though.  

Damn!  That would have been way cool.  Would still be cool to have one on the ST as well.

12 hours ago, leech said:
On 12/6/2022 at 10:14 AM, zzip said:

Damn!  That would have been way cool.  Would still be cool to have one on the ST as well.

I posted the ST version a while ago in this thread:

• Thanks 1