IGNORED

Star Raiders for PICO-8 on VCS

THX-1138

Hi folks.

I found this today which may be of interest to fellow Star Raiders fans.

https://gradualgames.itch.io/star-raiders

It is a remake of Star Raiders for the PICO-8.  It will run on the VCS via Chrome, alternatively there are packaged versions that will run on the VCS in Windows or Linux.

It's a good recreation of the original, the 3D mechanics are smoother and more fluid.  I've been playing it all day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

Very nicely done and quite the tribute. Contains some minor enhancements/improvements that would fit right into the original Star Raiders. These wouldn't change the gameplay at all, just make a few parts of it look much cooler and add a touch of "upgrade" to it. And not significantly different either, all with 8-bit flavor and capability.

But 4now there's a couple of patched original versions for the 400/800 that have faster 3D renderings when you blow stuff up.

On 12/3/2022 at 7:15 AM, THX-1138 said:

It is a remake of Star Raiders for the PICO-8.  It will run on the VCS via Chrome, alternatively there are packaged versions that will run on the VCS in Windows or Linux.

FWIW, we started adding PICO-8 support to Argon last month. So I was hunting itch.io for games to test with. This one really is a fantastic fan-made port!

Down side for handheld play is that it like the 800 version, it uses/needs so many keys!