IGNORED

Dead Black Box

Larry

Is there anyone here that works on Black Boxes? 

I think mine was killed this AM by a small switching power supply that died (5volt, 2 amp).  This was not a USB charger-type supply.  I've run my BB for years this way after my original PS died.  Mine originally came with a Colecovision PS, I think.  I checked with Bob Puff and he told me that the other voltages were only required by RS-232. 

IIRC, there used to be someone here that was very knowledgeable about the BB, and even contemplated making a new run of them.  At any rate, I wouldn't have any idea where to begin looking for the issue with this BB. 

-Larry

Hello Larry

The pinout of the BB power connector can be found on my site.

First thing I did after my BB arrived years ago, was wreck it.  Bob had supplied (no pun intended) a power supply which had the original pinout of that PS on the sticker that was on that PS.  Unfortunately, Bob had soldered a different connector to the PS, with a different pinout.  So if you get a new PS, make sure you've got the right voltage on the right pin.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

lmfao, that's the same guy who wants aver $600.00 for C64's (always does high shipping, if it shows free shipping the shipping then is added to the price)... what a dipshit. Has to be a joker since he's in Teaneck (comedy idiom).

Totally, I pm'd him about something he had up for a crackhead price and it quickly became obvious that he was, in fact, a dipshit.

Edited by Vyvyan B.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/3/2022 at 4:46 PM, Larry said:

At any rate, I wouldn't have any idea where to begin looking for the issue with this BB.

It would help if you gave some more info.  What does it do right now when used with a working PS and connected to A8?  Will the A8 start up?  If so, can you enter the BB monitor?

I bought the last BB on eBay.  It's a beater, looks like it's been in a swamp for the last 20 years.  Going to do a full refurb and try to bring it back to life, otherwise it'll look nice on the shelf.

I'll post here when we start to work on it, and if you still need help let me know.

5 hours ago, Fox-1 / mnx said:

It would help if you gave some more info.  What does it do right now when used with a working PS and connected to A8?  Will the A8 start up?  If so, can you enter the BB monitor?

It is totally dead.  No LED, nothing.  An A8 will not boot with an unpowered BB attached.  Black screen.

Does anyone know of a schematic for the BB?

16 minutes ago, Larry said:

It is totally dead.  No LED, nothing.  An A8 will not boot with an unpowered BB attached.  Black screen.

There are many schematics on the following webpage, most are by Jerzy Sobola but those for the Black Box and Floppy Board are listed as by Guusa Assmanna:

https://jsobola.atari8.info/dereatari/schematy.htm

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Larry said:

One thing you can do is to take out every (socketed) IC and try again to check if at least a LED lights up.  If it's really an overvoltage issue... try to swap components with a working BB set-up.  You may need to send it to someone but I'm sure there are people over here who want to put some effort in it.  I can do it but as in Europe it would be better to find someone near you.

Schematics...  I have them...  somewhere...

• Thanks 1