IGNORED

Some VBXE stuff

Stephen

Damn, should have made it clear that the Ult1MB isn't classed as a device, so isn't in the device menu, it's classed as a memory upgrade in the memory section. Sorry, it's easy to think of it as a device as it's more than just a memory upgrade. Should have made it clearer for people new to Altirra or using said features for the first time.

Edited by Mclaneinc

8 hours ago, Rybags said:

I've not had chance to give it a look yet.

How is it you're doing the 4 palettes?  Is it selection of a palette depending on close colour matches or do you just split the screen into 4 vertical regions with 1 per region?

I had an idea of doing 5 palettes - you could reload the first one using brute-force programing, ie LDA #nn / STA CR ... etc.

Though that's a cost of 18 cycles and 15 bytes per entry = 4608 cycles and 3,840 bytes (with Antic DMA off that would be around 44 scanlines)

So in theory you could probably do 3 or 4 palette reloads for even more extra colour.  The palette reload code could be generated by blits which could cut down on memory use a little.

Though all that said, I think a PC based optimizer that generated 4 palettes and selected one per attribute cell based on best match would probably be the best picture display method.

Correct on both accounts.  This 1st image was just a cheat - the screen is in 4 vertical bands.  However, I have planned (and am working on) an image colour reducer using the median cut algorithm.  Once I have that working, the next step is figuring out how to split the palettes into line by line regions.