IGNORED

3D printer filament for XL style cases (and other vintage computers)

xrbrevin

here is a link to 'pale ivory' 3D printer filament. im currently printing an XL fujinet case from it and will post pics when done.

first impressions are that it is not quite as pale as a retrobrighted XL but it is much lighter than a yellowed case. its the closest ive found thus far.

https://www.3djake.uk/fillamentum/pla-extrafill-light-ivory?sai=2755

its paler than an Acorn Electron/Model B, may be ok for an Amiga...

Edited by xrbrevin
syntax error
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi, 

A little necrobump to this post. For those who live in the USA, there is a filament that closely matches the Atari XL case. 
It is called Jessie Premium PLA Beige from Printed Solid (https://www.printedsolid.com/products/jessie-pla-1-75mm-x-1kg-beige-500) and it was actually formulated to print replacement parts for the Amiga 500. I thought the colors for the Amiga 500 and Atari XL were close, so I gave it a shot.

Here is a photo of a case that I 3D printed last night for a project sitting on top of the 800XL that it was made for. 

IMG_6364.thumb.jpeg.fed1db244f529d88d46350c8e14ac5f1.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, scorpio_ny said:

Hi, 

A little necrobump to this post. For those who live in the USA, there is a filament that closely matches the Atari XL case. 
It is called Jessie Premium PLA Beige from Printed Solid (https://www.printedsolid.com/products/jessie-pla-1-75mm-x-1kg-beige-500) and it was actually formulated to print replacement parts for the Amiga 500. I thought the colors for the Amiga 500 and Atari XL were close, so I gave it a shot.

Here is a photo of a case that I 3D printed last night for a project sitting on top of the 800XL that it was made for. 

IMG_6364.thumb.jpeg.fed1db244f529d88d46350c8e14ac5f1.jpeg

OMG - he looks so happy with that smile :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, scorpio_ny said:

Nice find, and thanks.  You haven't happened to run across filament for the 5200 / XL dark brown by any chance, have you?  Been looking for that for ages with no luck.

Just now, x=usr(1536) said:

Nice find, and thanks.  You haven't happened to run across filament for the 5200 / XL dark brown by any chance, have you?  Been looking for that for ages with no luck.

No I haven't, but I will keep an eye out for it!

• Like 1

For light ivory I’ve been using this:

https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/copymaster3d-premium-pla-175-mm-1000-g-white-3d-printer-filament-22660976

For black brown ral 8023 I’ve not found anything affordable yet. There is this but I can’t bring myself to pay for it!

https://colorfabb.com/black-brown-ral-8022

It goes 25% off from time to time.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, foft said:

For light ivory I’ve been using this:

https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/copymaster3d-premium-pla-175-mm-1000-g-white-3d-printer-filament-22660976

For black brown ral 8023 I’ve not found anything affordable yet. There is this but I can’t bring myself to pay for it!

https://colorfabb.com/black-brown-ral-8022

It goes 25% off from time to time.

Considered where I live, first product's perfect for me 😁

But isn't it a bit too brown for XL?

On 3/26/2024 at 5:33 PM, aeberbach said:

For brown I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0CDBV8DKX?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

It could be darker but is not bad. The side panel pictured here uses it:

IMG_3155.thumb.jpeg.b7c72ef74403608e6bdb72cf48227553.jpeg

This pic is so sexy I want to get out an 800 from storage and use it as a daily driver.  My 1200XL will be sad.

2 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

This pic is so sexy I want to get out an 800 from storage and use it as a daily driver.  My 1200XL will be sad.

I can send you an assembled side panel, and will definitely give your 1200XL a good home 😉

5 hours ago, scorpio_ny said:

So here is what I was doing with my print. I really did not want to cut up my case, so I made an external enclosure for the Sophia 2 DVI and Pokeymax output. It came out well!

IMG_6391.thumb.jpeg.042cb25e83cadd354b8951435830b5b4.jpegIMG_6396.thumb.jpeg.412746aa6eb7652425c2283accb4e0ea.jpegIMG_6401.thumb.jpeg.add2688a131995a7ff565c0302af3165.jpeg

Like it. Would you be willing to share the stl file? 

I usually do the dvi PBI mount version, modded with audio as well. I like this one as it frees up the PBI and uses the rf out hole. 

5 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Like it. Would you be willing to share the stl file? 

I usually do the dvi PBI mount version, modded with audio as well. I like this one as it frees up the PBI and uses the rf out hole. 

Sure I can share it! I will see I can post it later today. One thing I want to point out that this was not an easy setup. The design has three pieces in which the cable must be threaded through. The cable for the Sophia 2 was fabricated in place and is more or less permanent (I have spare cable, so I can always remake it). For the  Pokeymax cabling , I used shielded cable. One final thing, when screw is made, make sure the PLA material is strong. Some PLA is not strong because of formulation and would easily shear with a little pressure added.

The setup works perfectly. I was playing a bunch of games with my almost Atari clone.

IMG_6392.thumb.jpeg.74c6514bbe4e1db553632a32e9be2d67.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scorpio_ny said:

Sure I can share it! I will see I can post it later today. One thing I want to point out that this was not an easy setup. The design has three pieces in which the cable must be threaded through. The cable for the Sophia 2 was fabricated in place and is more or less permanent (I have spare cable, so I can always remake it). For the  Pokeymax cabling , I used shielded cable. One final thing, when screw is made, make sure the PLA material is strong. Some PLA is not strong because of formulation and would easily shear with a little pressure added.

The setup works perfectly. I was playing a bunch of games with my almost Atari clone.

IMG_6392.thumb.jpeg.74c6514bbe4e1db553632a32e9be2d67.jpeg

Great. Thanks. Yup, looks really well designed and practical. Honestly, my Creatily Ender 3 pro is the best thing I ever bought in terms in that respect. I love being able to design and print these things, or print other people's creations. :)

Looking forward to printing this one. Thanks for the heads up. 

Edit: BTW was the design intended to look like a cool retro robot?!! 😁

image.png.b15ddd7048f781431c8262d11de58868.png

Screenshot_20240330_155247.jpg

Screenshot_20240330_160554.jpg

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Beeblebrox said:

Great. Thanks. Yup, looks really well designed and practical. Honestly, my Creatily Ender 3 pro is the best thing I ever bought in terms in that respect. I love being able to design and print these things, or print other people's creations. :)

Looking forward to printing this one. Thanks for the heads up. 

Just so you know, I printed this on my upgraded Ender 3 😀

On 3/30/2024 at 11:53 AM, Beeblebrox said:

Ooo, what upgrade have you got? 

Sorry for the delay in my response (was busy because of the holiday). My Ender 3 was upgraded in several ways:

1. New heavier springs for the bed

2. Glass bed

3. BL touch sensor

4. Non Creality customized firmware that adds built in leveling with the BL Touch and other enhancements.

5. Copperhead Heat break

6. SEEMECNC EZR STRUDER

7. Creality 3D Printer enclosure

8. 3D printed knob to make removing and and advancing filament easier

9. Replaced filament motor that had pressed on filament filament feeder gear with one that accepts keyed gears with secure screw

10 Upgraded to dual gear/motor setup for the Z axis

Here are the links for the STL files:

Thingiverse

Printables.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@scorpio_ny  Printed two of these out in semi-transparent 1.75mm pla filament. Printed out really well. The screw threads came out really well and all 3 x component prints fitted like a glove. Thanks for designing and sharing these.

Wow, great set of upgrades for your ender 3 there.  

IMG_20240402_220736.jpg

IMG_20240402_220751.jpg

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2