IGNORED

Raiders of the lost ark and ET: are there real improvements in the gameplay?

lucifershalo

Are there any real improvements?  No.  While there are numerous improvements, they are purely psychological in nature due to the heavy use of hallucinogens in the box construction.  Further, none of the improvements were in the gameplay, only in the gamework and gamechores.  Worse, it was not based off the 2600 but the far less known and less successful 2599.

• Haha 2

Raiders is more of a graphical upgrade. But there are some improvements to the Intellivision version over the 2600 version. One is that you don't need both controllers to play it. But it also allows for FAR more inventory now than the 2600 version. As a result, I find that the hourglass is basically useless in the Intellivision version since it is only a grappling hook and not both the grappling hook and way to save your life if you fell like the Ankh. 

I like the Intellivision version a lot as it also includes the easter eggs from the 2600 game. But...there is one issue I have it with the Intellivision version that I think the 2600 version is better about. And that is the location of the Well of Souls was semi random in the 2600 version but it is always in the same place on the Intellivision version. As a result of this you always know exactly where the Ark will be. But, the game won't let you shortcut your way to it as it doesn't register the ARK being available to uncover until you do the map room sequence. 

But it is still quite fun to play. I do not have the ET port so I can't comment on that one.

• Like 4

I received the game today.

As far as I can see there are a lot of quality of life improvements such as:

You don't lose most of the items after you use them once (except for money and the grenades). This is a huge improvement over the 2600 version since you don't need to go and collect that same item over and over.

You can actually collect all the items in the game and keep them due to a large inventory system.

There is a limited number of snakes in a room and they pursue you on any direction. Once you kill them they don't respawn until you re-enter that room again.

Infinite bullets for the gun (once you buy the bullets), making combat a lot more fun.

If you get paralyzed by the spider web or by tse-tse flies you can still use your whip or gun to defend yourself and kill the spider or the thief.

If you escape the dungeon prision using the "press down for several seconds" trick, the cave's top exit wall will not close over time (the bottom one does close) so you will not get stuck there and have to reset the game.

Grenades kill the snakes and they don't kill you if you don't leave the first room.

Some things are more intuitive.

There are probably more things but that is what I've seen so far. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2