IGNORED

Merry X-Mas Gifts From Me To The Loving 7800 Communtiy

ZippyRedPlumber

On 2/4/2023 at 2:41 PM, Muddyfunster said:

Whatever application you are using to draw your sprites, draw them as one image, rather than many smaller ones that you have to combine in 7800basic.

It does mean that you can’t compress (Ex. Say you have a running animation but the head sprite doesn’t change, you can split the body off of the head and save on gfx data) graphics anymore though!!! Just a thought.

I don’t see that sort of opportunity though here.

Second of all you might wanna think about having 2 palettes for the character Sprite…….. one for the head, another for the body…..

Just a suggestion!!

12 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

It does mean that you can’t compress (Ex. Say you have a running animation but the head sprite doesn’t change, you can split the body off of the head and save on gfx data) graphics anymore though!!! Just a thought.

I don’t see that sort of opportunity though here.

Second of all you might wanna think about having 2 palettes for the character Sprite…….. one for the head, another for the body…..

Just a suggestion!!

This advice was specific to the question and technique demonstrated in the OP's code. Compression played no part in the question so I don't understand the context of your post.

Did you review the OP's code? Maybe I'm missing something.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

This advice was specific to the question and technique demonstrated in the OP's code. Compression played no part in the question so I don't understand the context of your post.

Did you review the OP's code? Maybe I'm missing something.

I was just making a suggestion.....

And, Yes + Yes. I did. Just an idea. Not like it really mattered though, I just wanted to give @ZippyRedPlumber some options for his game.

ok?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@ZippyRedPlumber one of the first things I see is that you have a subroutine called "drawsprites" that never gets called. You could call it just before or just after you call the subroutine "drawhero."

But, the subroutine ""drawsprites" never has a "return" so once you goto that subroutine the program would just continue and start other game logic. So that will need to be restructured and cleaned up a bit to get it working.

Simply that the draw enemies routine didn't have a return and would continue going through the rest of the code. Adding a "return" and then moving the rest of the code to make it work as expected.

gosub DrawEnemies

DO STUFF
  DO STUFF

goto MainLoop

DrawEnemies
  DO STUFF
  DO STUFF

; the return is missing here

; once the return is added the rest of this code is ignored
  DO MORE STUFF
  DO MORE STUFF
  DO MORE STUFF