IGNORED

576+ NUC using a ST mouse in GUI OS, etc.

NISMOPC

So been spending more time on my NUC recently. Had to get new PSU (original one was not providing full 12V) and replaced a faulty SD socket.

Tried to use an official ATARI ST mouse and a third party ST mouse. GUI OS recognized them but would not play nice with them. Erratic movement without even moving mouse. Can't control movement with mouse.

Has anyone else tried using a mouse with the NUC successfully?

Edited by NISMOPC
Update

37 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Is dedicated mouse driver preloading needed as it seems maybe its treating it as a joystick input.

As far as I know the mouse acts like joystick input so no driver should be needed. Works fine on normal hardware.

2 hours ago, NISMOPC said:

So been spending more time on my NUC recently. Had to get new PSU (original one was not providing full 12V) and replaced a faulty SD socket.

Tried to use an official ATARI ST mouse and a third party ST mouse. GUI OS recognized them but would not play nice with them. Erratic movement without even moving mouse. Can't control movement with mouse.

Has anyone else tried using a mouse with the NUC successfully?

Which GUI are you using?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NISMOPC said:

As far as I know the mouse acts like joystick input so no driver should be needed. Works fine on normal hardware.

Actually the ST mouse uses a quadrature output and is nothing like a joystick. People sometimes think that since it gets plugged into joystick port it must behave like a joystick. On the contrary as @Beeblebrox pointed out, there needs to be a driver that recognizes the X/Y Quadrature output and converts that into direction and acceleration.

There are a few games that will recognize an ST mouse such as Missile Command (activate mode by pressing CTRL+T), or another called PAD which is a breakout style game (comes in both NTSC and PAL flavors). Also as Stephen was inquiring about, there are some GUI desktop programs as well with a suitable driver built-in.

Here's a couple of games to help you get started...

Missile Command+.xex

PAD (NTSC).xex

PAD (PAL).xex

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Speaking of mice, there's a USB version that'll plug into your joystick port that supports wireless mice called mouSTer. These go for about 37 USD, and will produce far superior results when used with an optical mouse vs. a standard ST ball mouse.

Here's what it looks like without its protective heat shrink shell.

mouster.thumb.jpg.c9322caf37caa6a4a5b59c312d314cd1.jpg

I think @flashjazzcat might have done a review of this or perhaps something similar from another manufacturer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1