IGNORED

Bank Switching

Sergioz82

5 hours ago, Asmusr said:

You cannot assume that all hardware, i.e. cartridge boards, start up in bank 0, so it's generally best to add headers to all banks, if possible. If it's not possible, e.g. if you need to store exactly 8K in some banks, you should at least add headers to the first and the last banks, and your quit handler should switch to the first bank before quitting.

Mine was the combination of some lazyness and the idea of squeezing all the space for assets (but on a second thought, with 32Mb ROM space there is no real need for that), so ok, I'll write the headers :)

Thanks.

There's a reason for why the consoles are designed so that it resets when a standard cartridge is inserted.

I have bank switching built into my console, for the RAM expansion, but I designed it (the hardware) so everything goes back to default when a reset is done, regardless of where the reset comes from.

5 hours ago, apersson850 said:

There's a reason for why the consoles are designed so that it resets when a standard cartridge is inserted.

I have bank switching built into my console, for the RAM expansion, but I designed it (the hardware) so everything goes back to default when a reset is done, regardless of where the reset comes from.

How do you handle soft reset (BLWP @>0) ? Did you change the ROMs?

It doesn't do anything when a soft reset occurs, but that's also intentional. Since one of the features my design supports is overlaying the ROM (0000-1FFF) with RAM. This means I can modify the content of the ROM (no, I can't, but I can copy it to RAM and then modify it) and I don't want that to get reset because of a software thing. But if I need to do a hardware reset, then it should go back, because then I've probably done a change in ROM I shouldn't have...

By regardless of where the reset comes from I was thinking about power cycle, cartridge insert, separate reset button etc. All hardware reset features.

• Like 1