IGNORED

Ultimate Masterplay?

eegt97

On 1/1/2023 at 6:25 PM, eegt97 said:

Happy New Year all!  I've been working on something off and on for a while and trying to decide on how to proceed.  Problem right now is the STM32 chip I had been working with is basically unobtanium like so many others.  I'm basically gauging interest in something like this to determine if I want to move to another embedded processor or not.  I have prototyped a lot of the features so far.  To be honest, I haven't touched it since last summer and looking for motivation to get going again.

Major Features:

• USB Joystick support (every "standard" one and the Xbox360 types I tried have worked so far)
  • CX40 aka 2600 controller support (works)
  • Genesis controller support (3 and 6 button works)
  • Paddles support (and works in correct direction)
  • USB mouse as Trackball (works, but not as smooth as I'd like, need more investigation)  
  • Ability to calibrate the throw of both CX52 Joystick and Paddles
  • Rapid Fire Adjust

See attached diagram.  Other comments, things that would make this better?

image.thumb.png.578da48ba64df74413508992951b8ef0.png

Is the Ultimate Masterplay still being developed, or are these for sale already?

No offense, but I couldn't really tell with all the Redemption Adapter shitposting mixed in to this thread (I assume this Ultimate Masterplay & Redemption adapter are two totally different products, made by two different people).

Regardless, I'd be interested in one.. if it has a built-in keypad, as I'm trying to steer clear from using an original 5200 controller, if at all possible. Hopefully you'll consider using something like the one made by Grayhilll that uses actual keys, rather than the membrane style keypad made by Parallax Inc. Plus, it only costs $5.95 @ Digikey, vs $9.27 :)

MFG_3844.thumb.jpg.c0e882182e4937be1b9a73154c6051e4.jpg

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/adafruit-industries-llc/3844/9561536

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD
pic added
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

No offense, but I couldn't really tell with all the Redemption Adapter shitposting mixed in to this thread (I assume this Ultimate Masterplay & Redemption adapter are two totally different products, made by two different people).

Sorry - I mixed the redemption with this thread because I couldn't find a unique (recent) thread on it and thought perhaps it was the same thing - it's not.

I have nothing to do with the redemption, I just was looking for direct info about it, and I would love to hear more about the OP product as well.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 1:58 AM, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

Is the Ultimate Masterplay still being developed, or are these for sale already?

Regardless, I'd be interested in one.. if it has a built-in keypad, as I'm trying to steer clear from using an original 5200 controller, if at all possible. Hopefully you'll consider using something like the one made by Grayhilll that uses actual keys, rather than the membrane style keypad made by Parallax Inc. Plus, it only costs $5.95 @ Digikey, vs $9.27 :)

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/adafruit-industries-llc/3844/9561536

Yeah, still being developed.  I've breadboarded most of the functionality, but still have not done board layout yet.  January is getting by me real quick here.  I don't remember finding that type of keyboard that cheap when I looked, thanks for the link to that.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Update on this.  Instead of trying to change microprocessors, going to incorporate the dev board for it into the PCB as it is readily available.  That said, thinking the price will be $95 for this.

I will be using the Adafruit keypad that @SiLic0ne t0aD pointed to.  Also, there was a question about supporting the CX40 and both buttons.  It will be supported.  There might need to be a config parameter added that indicates it is a CX40, not sure yet.

First PCBs on order, I still have some integrating to do once I get that built, probably have an update in a month or so.

-Brian

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Sorry for lack of update on this.  Real life and work making things slow.  Anyway, update is that most everything is working well, I still want to try and get Xbox wireless controller working and I still need to come up with a case.  Here is my attempt at a youtube video with some demos of the different modes.  Let me know any questions.  Hopefully you get an idea of what all it does without getting completely put to sleep.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, eegt97 said:

Sorry for lack of update on this.  Real life and work making things slow.  Anyway, update is that most everything is working well, I still want to try and get Xbox wireless controller working and I still need to come up with a case.  Here is my attempt at a youtube video with some demos of the different modes.  Let me know any questions.  Hopefully you get an idea of what all it does without getting completely put to sleep.

I dig and am entertained by the idea of maybe playing Centipede or Millipede with a mouse as an alternative to a trak-ball, even though I own both a CX53 (the same one I have owned since my 17th Birthday since 1983, fully-restored/cleaned,reconditioned and fitted with Best Lifetime gold-contact button keypads, last year by yours truly) and a CX80, I'll probably use my Redemption 5200 with my mouse with a USB-to-DB9 adapter (or an old-skool PS2-to-DB9 adapter) to use on those games, but what makes THIS guy's version of the Masterplay/Redemption so special is that he is trying to make her the ULTIMATE interface that'll also work with other analog games like Super Breakout and Missile Command, in which the exact pinpoint direction of the stick indicates the cursor's actual position as opposed to the other two trak-ball-based games I mentioned earlier, I'm looking forward to the completion of this prototype and will be following this thread along with most of you, I'm STOKED!!!

Edited by BIGHMW