IGNORED

My new SGM is not working, on the Adam only ?

rietveld

Hi.  I just had a chance to try my new black SGM and found that it does not work on my ADAM.  If I leave it in the expansion slot and turn my ADAM on all i get is a blank black screen.  The same blank screen is on my expansion 3 adam when connected to my Colecovision.  The SGM DOES work when used with a Colecovision but just starts up to a frozen blank screen when that same colecovision is connected to the ADAM 3 expansion with the SGM plugged into the side of it.  BUT if I press the Colecovision reset the Colecovison boots my AtariMax and plays the SGM games but if I pull the Adam reset i just get a blank screen

I have a 2nd beige SGM and dont have any of these same problems. The beige SGM works in every instance that the new Black one does not

I have tested the new SGM in 2 stand alone adams and 2 Expansion Adams as well a standard colecovision and f18a modded colecovision

Any Ideas?

56 minutes ago, evg2000 said:

have you tried reaching out to opcode?
support@opcodegames.com

I did. But I have not received any instruction on what to do next.  

I posted a bunch of pictures here in hopes that this same problem had popped up before, but have not received any further feedback regarding them 

I know this doesnt help you much but the SGM disables its ram in an Adam so it doesnt conflict with the Adams ram. The SGM ram must be turned on by the game programmer. If it works in the Colecovision and not the Adam my guess is the ram is stuck “enabled” for some reason. I think the new SGM modules are just a Xilinx cpld and an AY chip so maybe the Xilinx programming has an error? Again not much help just thinking.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, snowpile said:

I know this doesnt help you much but the SGM disables its ram in an Adam so it doesnt conflict with the Adams ram. The SGM ram must be turned on by the game programmer. If it works in the Colecovision and not the Adam my guess is the ram is stuck “enabled” for some reason.

This sounds, no pun intended, spot on.

So the SGM has undergone a revision/redesign re.... "I think the new SGM modules are just a Xilinx cpld and an AY chip so maybe the Xilinx programming has an error?"

5 hours ago, NIAD said:

This sounds, no pun intended, spot on.

So the SGM has undergone a revision/redesign re.... "I think the new SGM modules are just a Xilinx cpld and an AY chip so maybe the Xilinx programming has an error?"

well 

disappointing at best since it arrived like this and is only 1 day old

You failed to mention that you have been receiving assistance since yesterday. And Grazi did provide you with instructions. So yeah, I am sorry that you are experiencing those issues, but you are making it sound like no one is assisting you.

As I side note, and as I told you, all SGMs are tested before shipping, but to be honest I don't test them with an ADAM, so it was an unfortunate defect, as I don't remember anyone else having this issue before.

And no, the SGM didn't go through a redesign of any kind.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, opcode said:

You failed to mention that you have been receiving assistance since yesterday. And Grazi did provide you with instructions. So yeah, I am sorry that you are experiencing those issues, but you are making it sound like no one is assisting you.

As I side note, and as I told you, all SGMs are tested before shipping, but to be honest I don't test them with an ADAM, so it was an unfortunate defect, as I don't remember anyone else having this issue before.

I am just waiting for the address so I can send it back

Sorry if I sound irked but I have literally had the SGM for only 24hrs and have been able to use it for none of those hours. 

20 hours ago, opcode said:

I just mailed back the defective SGM at my expense.  I have emailed a copy of the shipping receipt as well as a copy of the tracking 

I hope that you can send out a replacement this week since I have just provided you with proof of a return shipment 

if you can expedite the mailing of the replacement SGM this week then I will be happy to consider this transaction as being concluded to my satisfaction 

Thanks again for standing behind your products.  Your support to me is greatly appreciated

This thread should now be considered as closed. 

Opcode is replacing my SGM so I no longer need advice on how to repair this unit

Hopefully the pictures and descriptions in this thread will help other diagnose any similar problems 

Again a big thanks to Opcode for standing behind his product and offering a replacement for this defective unit

Thanks also to everyone who chimed in and tried to help me fix the problem. I would have loved to repair the SGM myself without involving OPCODE but in the end he stepped up and offered a replacement negating the need for me to spend any more time on this particular item

I am 2 years new to the Adam and am constantly encouraged by the help and knowledge available on this forum