IGNORED

SHIFT838 F18A (VGA) orders

Shift838

All,

I have filled about 1/2 of the requested F18A (VGA) board orders over the last couple of weeks.  (these are not the MK2! but the latest version for the VGA version with 1.9 firmware installed) I have enough parts left to fill the remaining users that have gauged interest and filled out my interest form:

https://forms.gle/2MQAH79SUqqCuQGz5

If anyone else wants to be on the list for a second run, please go fill out the form.

As everyone knows these Xilinx chips are getting quite expensive.  I purchased 30 in the last batch, and to ensure they are not counterfeit I have to go with a reputable dealer that guarantees their authenticity.

There have been a few users that have passed on their F18A simply because I never got a response when a notification was sent.  If you are interested and receive a notification but for some reason are unable to purchase, please let me know, so I can immediately offer it to the next person in line.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, acadiel said:

Thanks for making these available again for the community!

I was glad I was able to make the available again.  Once I came across a supply house that was willing to work with the quantity I needed.  They usually only deal with higher quantities of 500+.  But luckily when I called, the salesperson I spoke with had a guitar fetish, much like I do.  We started chatting about guitars and our relative rigs and hit it off.  Next thing I knew, he said he would work with me and so far, he has on my few orders I have done.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, Duewester said:

I ended up doing this. Just made a template for the plug and screws on some painters tape. Cut through with razor knofe and then dremeled out. Honestly can't remember what I ended up doing inside. It all works so well I'm afraid to open it up and see.

image.thumb.png.f90b4d5cf4fb589dbaa5484088c62865.png

That is nearly the same as how I installed mine.  I nibbled a small slot in the metal cover where it meets the circuit board, filed the edges smooth and wrapped the cable with some tape where it contacts the metal.  The cable routes just fine from the F18a over to where the connector is mounted.  Going to mount a multi-crystal "turbo speed selector" switch on the upper left side of the console as well.  Lots of space in the upper section. Once I pull it apart again soon, I'll post a few more pictures.

VGA Connector.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 1:14 PM, InfiniteTape said:

I hadn't realized the ribbon cable would reach that far. I might have to give that a try. 

Good news: I was able to use this technique on a silver/black console, and it worked pretty well. I didn't end up needing to cut anything, since there's a gap in the shield between the sound chip and the cassette connector. I did end up splitting the ribbon into two halves and stacking them so that it would be easier to keep the cable clear of the center case post during reassembly.

Bad news: In all my tinkering around, I broke the ribbon cable off the keyboard. Thankfully I had a decent spare on hand, but I'm not looking forward to fixing it.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2023 at 3:22 PM, InfiniteTape said:

Bad news: In all my tinkering around, I broke the ribbon cable off the keyboard. Thankfully I had a decent spare on hand, but I'm not looking forward to fixing it.

Ha!! I did the same thing! But, I already had plenty Dupont male/female cables. They work PERFECTLY AND allow for a little bit of length vs stock cable. 

If I had thought about it, I would have taken pictures.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1