IGNORED

Glitchy sprites

marauder666

Recently picked up a lot of carts, 2 consoles, controllers etc.

One console isnt working, but appears that the crystal is dead, so that'll have to wait until I get one.

The other one is behaving oddly, glitchy sprites.  When I first powered it up, it had the typical incorrect colours on the startup screen, some contact cleaner in the power jack and switch sorted that, then on the game screen typical vertical line graphics corruption, more switch cleaning, and thats all sorted now.

The last thing is that sprites in any game have glitches above the correct sprite, this happens in all games I've tried.

I've reflowed the video ram and VDP. Still the same.  Main memory and video memory pass the tests on the Atarimax cart.  I'm thinking it's the VDP, anyone else have any ideas?

P1090044.JPG

53 minutes ago, marauder666 said:

Recently picked up a lot of carts, 2 consoles, controllers etc.

One console isnt working, but appears that the crystal is dead, so that'll have to wait until I get one.

The other one is behaving oddly, glitchy sprites.  When I first powered it up, it had the typical incorrect colours on the startup screen, some contact cleaner in the power jack and switch sorted that, then on the game screen typical vertical line graphics corruption, more switch cleaning, and thats all sorted now.

The last thing is that sprites in any game have glitches above the correct sprite, this happens in all games I've tried.

I've reflowed the video ram and VDP. Still the same.  Main memory and video memory pass the tests on the Atarimax cart.  I'm thinking it's the VDP, anyone else have any ideas?

P1090044.JPG

Either the VDP or the video RAM. Do you have a good +5 going to the RAM? I've also found that an OEM psu that is marginal will cause graphical glitches and no amount of work on the console will correct it. In those instances the PSU needs to be cut open and rebuilt or an alternative PSU purchased and used.

You got a ColUSB by chance? I've got one and it is great to have on the workbench!

Thanks Jesse, never thought it might be PSU.

I'll put the one I made for my console in, not needed anymore in that one, its running with just 5V now.

This one has the best pic I've seen on any RF PAL console I've had lately.

Edited by marauder666