IGNORED

Intellivision FAQ for 2023: Ask the Intellibot!

First Spear

Hey all. The Artifact Productions Division of Intv Prime continues to refine the FAQ.

The latest update is The Intellibot, a simple chat tool that lets anyone ask a question, and get a result directly from the FAQ without having to hunt for it. This should be especially useful as the FAQ grows. The questions can increase without increasing the time it takes to get a clue. :) 

Of course the FAQ will contain all of the info.

Need some help validating the work before it is made official. If you have time, please feel free to ask a question or 3 and see what kind of responses you receive.

Thanks! Intellivision forever!

image.thumb.png.4519311100dd1212b1f951420d190357.png

• Like 8

I asked questions about the Kiosk Multiplexer and the Intellibot found the FAQ answers in section 5.4.  However, the FAQ itself should have some updates:

• "What was the Intellivision Kiosk?"
  • "What was the Sears Intellivision Kiosk?"
    • Remove the text about it only supporting 1 cartridge; this is not confirmed.  Yes, the one example shown in the referenced photos only has the baseball cartridge installed.  However, it is possible that the folks at that particular store just found it easier to have 1 cartridge installed and stuffed the Kiosk Multiplexer's ribbon cable inside the unit.  I suspect some store folks did this to some of the Mattel kiosks as well (not confirmed), mainly because the Kiosk Multiplexer is not snazzy looking and likely was installed somewhere hidden and harder to reach in the kiosk display.  Alternatively, maybe the kiosks were purchasable with and without the Kiosk Multiplexer (not confirmed) though I lean away from this idea.
    • The Kiosk Multiplexer has ROM code that detects the Sears Intellivision and shows different text versus when a Mattel Intellivision is detected.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Lathe26 said:

I asked questions about the Kiosk Multiplexer and the Intellibot found the FAQ answers in section 5.4.  However, the FAQ itself should have some updates:

• Remove the text about it only supporting 1 cartridge; this is not confirmed.  Yes, the one example shown in the referenced photos only has the baseball cartridge installed.  However, it is possible that the folks at that particular store just found it easier to have 1 cartridge installed and stuffed the Kiosk Multiplexer's ribbon cable inside the unit.  I suspect some store folks did this to some of the Mattel kiosks as well (not confirmed), mainly because the Kiosk Multiplexer is not snazzy looking and likely was installed somewhere hidden and harder to reach in the kiosk display.  Alternatively, maybe the kiosks were purchasable with and without the Kiosk Multiplexer (not confirmed) though I lean away from this idea.
    • The Kiosk Multiplexer has ROM code that detects the Sears Intellivision and shows different text versus when a Mattel Intellivision is detected.

The FAQ needs input updating all of the time, anything you see please DM me and I'll get the fixes in.

Thanks!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nyuundere said:

I'm so flattered to be featured in the FAQ.

Also, noticed that the links doesn't work, the URL is wrong and redirects to the intyprime domain.

Links were fixed. With the Intellibot addition, content rollouts are happening every few hours. What you saw before as broken links are now working.

And you're in the FAQ because people want to know you you are, and who makes Inty music. :) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The FAQ and associated bot content have been updated. Please beat up the bot by asking any Intellivision question you can think-of!

The availability will be advertised once the bot gets a little more exercise.

Thanks!

https://www.intvprime.com/intellivision-faq/

image.thumb.png.ff34c26cb631aa43ff795497c9f07b80.png

Edited by First Spear

On 1/21/2023 at 2:06 PM, cmadruga said:

Enjoy! Unfortunately the FAQ and the Intellibot do not care about me 😞

That was then. This is now! You are in there. as of about 2 hours after the query came in.

Questions with unanswered questions are captured and given priority for publication. There has been an entry in there for you for many months but was not included because it wasn't complete.

Looking at the FAQ docs, you might notice that people (section 4) and organizations (section 6) are lacking more than other areas: that is because the content for those are relatively new while sections 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9 were mostly migrations. So blah blah woof woof is on deck, and many other people (probably 40 more entries). It's building!

Anyway, the more questions that get asked, the more complete the content will be. 

Edited by First Spear

On 1/5/2023 at 11:59 PM, Lathe26 said:

Updates made. Thank you for taking the time to try them out. The more questions are asked (or more content is read), the better the product will be. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Intellibot is now fully enabled! Tell your friends!

Ask it a question and get the answer sourced from The Intellivision FAQ, instead of skimming the entire corpus. The full FAQ docs are still included on the same page.

Thanks to all who tested!

Intellibot has Arrived! – Intv Prime

intellibotheader01-576x341.jpg

(Note the bot is appropriately blocky, perhaps he will make an appearance in a future Intellivision game...)

• Like 3

On 1/5/2023 at 8:59 PM, Lathe26 said:

Recommend the text mention the phrase "Kiosk Multiplexer" since that is the phrase used for the electronics today (the name for it back in the day is unknown).

Back in the day, engineering called it the "point-of-purchase display," or "POP" for short. Of course, engineering didn't have to distinguish it from various other point-of-purchase displays of the cardboard variety that marketing was simultaneously offering retailers. Marketing referred to the POP by various names of the "in store display unit" genre, the exact variation depending on the whim and personality of the individual using the term and the necessity of distinguishing it from whatever other in-store displays were being offered at the time. POPs came in several configurations which evolved over time. Marketing would also sometimes customize the current versions to meet particular retailers' druthers.

Recollections are that at the time the term "kiosk" was understood to mean a small roofed structure, usually outdoor, and wouldn't have been extended to this sort of display.

WJI

image.thumb.png.8dca12cb1170a88d49cf2d4a15c11833.pngimage.png.6fb5ca645c2d35aaebfacd775273db9b.pngimage.png.86096ffcad9d73f091c786e598dfb801.pngimage.thumb.png.4bbe5a0ffc6bbd937de71bffe152e7e1.png

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Walter Ives said:

Back in the day, engineering called it the "point-of-purchase display," or "POP" for short. Of course, engineering didn't have to distinguish it from various other point-of-purchase displays of the cardboard variety that marketing was simultaneously offering retailers. Marketing referred to the POP by various names of the "in store display unit" genre, the exact variation depending on the whim and personality of the individual using the term and the necessity of distinguishing it from whatever other in-store displays were being offered at the time. POPs came in several configurations which evolved over time. Marketing would also sometimes customize the current versions to meet particular retailers' druthers.

Recollections are that at the time the term "kiosk" was understood to mean a small roofed structure, usually outdoor, and wouldn't have been extended to this sort of display.

WJI

image.thumb.png.8dca12cb1170a88d49cf2d4a15c11833.pngimage.png.6fb5ca645c2d35aaebfacd775273db9b.pngimage.png.86096ffcad9d73f091c786e598dfb801.pngimage.thumb.png.4bbe5a0ffc6bbd937de71bffe152e7e1.png

Yep, that's what a kiosk was to me since way back then.  Of course, in Spanish we called it "kiosko," and it applied to any sort of bandstand- or gazebo-looking thing, especially when something is sold out of it, such as refreshments or newspapers.

I thought there was some document found earlier in Mr. Chandler's stash mentioning a "POP" unit, which let to common understanding that it stood for "point of purchase."

dZ.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Please ask the Intellibot more questions!

https://www.intvprime.com/intellivision-faq/

Questions are logged to make more useful future answers.

For example, someone asked "who wrote AD&D" and the Intellibot missed the entry in the FAQ for Tom Loughry. 

image.thumb.png.e6ac9683180cde8aa9133c1f429a1ef6.png

Please hit the site and ask anything, the tool gets better each time it is used!

Thanks!

• Like 2

On 7/18/2023 at 5:12 AM, DZ-Jay said:

Hmm ... Just for kicks, I asked it which one was the best Intellivision game, and it responded with ... Cuttle Cart.

[snip]

Exactly. It's those kind of frustrating misses that need to be caught. So feel free to ask away so it can get better, as I know there is a "real" answer in the FAQ for that question and it ain't Cuttle Cart. 

• Like 1

OK, now it's just mocking me.  😡

image.thumb.png.f1bed40c45e65db5f645ced5f4039dc2.png

Other questions were hit or miss, mostly miss:

image.thumb.png.7774743b028157aa0647b8db827d365c.png

image.thumb.png.f02ced9bc7de5c1bb35dbc0b61ae5efb.png

Then it got weirdly surreal:

image.thumb.png.d3878a772df4d9537bd8b4e6e11f5a8b.png

Ooookkkkk ... so not released but designed?  Fine:

image.thumb.png.a5148071e84c4e3560e15a8618d45e05.png

Oh you mean announce! 😡

dZ.

P.S. No worries, it is all in good fun.  I'll keep hammering until it becomes useful. 😄

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 11:35 AM, First Spear said:

For example, someone asked "who wrote AD&D" and the Intellibot missed the entry in the FAQ for Tom Loughry. 

image.thumb.png.e6ac9683180cde8aa9133c1f429a1ef6.png

Very nice! Well, except that Tom Loughry wasn't the primary programmer for Boxing, Sub Hunt or Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. Loughry was quite clear on that point: in his podcast interview he explains that those were all summer projects written by student interns and he was just assigned to finish them when they had to go back to school. He goes on to state that Tarmin was the first game he actually did himself.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 8/6/2023 at 12:27 AM, Rod said:

Very nice! Well, except that Tom Loughry wasn't the primary programmer for Boxing, Sub Hunt or Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. Loughry was quite clear on that point: in his podcast interview he explains that those were all summer projects written by student interns and he was just assigned to finish them when they had to go back to school. He goes on to state that Tarmin was the first game he actually did himself.

Loughry's account jibes with Johnson's. To be fair to the summer students, Sub Hunt and AD&D were bigger programs than usual, both needing 6K. Both games were functional by the end of the summer but still needed some polishing to satisfy the boss. Boxing was only 4K. Its underlying program came together quickly enough, but game control was less than phenomenal and there was a long tail of tweaking which extended past the end of the summer.

WJI

• Like 1