IGNORED

TK-II-STEREO help?

jaek_3

Hello everyone, 

My TK-II-STEREO has just arrived in the mail. I popped it and a couple POKEYs in my Atari 130XE and... nothing. The computer freezes at the blue boot screen. It will actually boot with a cartridge inserted (like Defender) but the keyboard doesn't work. 

I've also found that if I short the mono pin to ground to disable stereo the computer actually works as normal (just with really hot audio output).

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I also have a U1MB in my machine. I read that I should connect the MO pin on my TK-II stereo to the MO pin of the U1MB, and while the computer will work I don't get stereo audio, the U1MB won't let me toggle it, and the audio output is very hot, exactly the same as when I disable stereo manually. 

Try watching this video. It may offer some insight. I believe there are some variants of the TK-II board.

Hopefully it will help:

EDIT: also not sure if a firmware plugin is needed for TK in U1MB?  (Assume not in the instance of toggling Stereo but worth mentioning). 

Edited by Beeblebrox

1 hour ago, jaek_3 said:

I read that I should connect the MO pin on my TK-II stereo to the MO pin of the U1MB, and while the computer will work I don't get stereo audio, the U1MB won't let me toggle it, and the audio output is very hot, exactly the same as when I disable stereo manually. 

There's a little more to installing a stereo POKEY board than just bunging it into the POKEY socket. ;) Without a connection to the A4 address line, for instance, the second POKEY will never be selected (or may be permanently selected, depending on whether A4 is pulled up or down on the stereo board itself).

The M0 signal on the U1MB is simply intended to turn stereo on and off, but since (I assume) there is no A4 connection, the U1MB has established that stereo is not under software control, so has dimmed the stereo setting.

Here's the product page for the TK-II stereo:

https://ataribits.weebly.com/tk-ii-stereo.html

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

not sure if a firmware plugin is needed for TK in U1MB

There's no plugin specific to TK-II; just for generic stereo boards (optionally controlled by the M0 signal), but since this plugin is pre-installed in the default firmware, it should already be there. Check for the 'ST' ID in the plugin name on the system information menu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jaek_3 said:

I tried reading that page but I couldn't find any clear instructions as to what I'm supposed to do...

That's a good point. I just skimmed through it and it's not especially illuminating.

In any case, try this (although it pertains to a different stereo board):

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/projects/SimpleStereo/simple_stereo_installation.pdf

The A4 and GTIA 'Bell' signals are what you're looking for, and the corresponding pins are clearly marked on the TK-II board. With those two connections, and connection to U1MB via the M0 pin, you should be good.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

Oh - another massive gotcha I nearly forgot (and which has bitten me REPEATEDLY): the TK-II is in 'XEGS' mode by default, and you need to plug a PS/2 keyboard in and deactivate said mode (using a key combination specified in the TK-II manual and which I can never call to mind) before the internal Atari keyboard will work at all. So even if you didn't want to use the PS/2 connection, you need to hook up an external keyboard once before the internal keyboard will work (and thereafter, XEGS mode will be permanently deactivated until you enable it again).

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

So even if you didn't want to use the PS/2 connection, you need to hook up an external keyboard once before the internal keyboard will work (and thereafter, XEGS mode will be permanently deactivated until you enable it again).

Interesting. So if you sourced the Tk-II board mainly for the stereo and were not interested in the PS/2 keyboard functionality - at present with the firmware you would in fact need to have a PS/2 keyboard to hand to deactivate it so you can use the stock keyboard heh heh!:D

Makes more sense to have a physical jumper on the board to do this or have some other way without the need for a PS/2 keyboard to hand.

21 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

The A4 and GTIA 'Bell' signals are what you're looking for, and the corresponding pins are clearly marked on the TK-II board. With those two connections, and connection to U1MB via the M0 pin, you should be good.

This worked! Jamming to irishwood.sap as we speak. Just one problem, the audio out is EXTREMELY hot (distorted). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jaek_3 said:

This worked! Jamming to irishwood.sap as we speak. Just one problem, the audio out is EXTREMELY hot (distorted). 

If you do this search on AA there are quite a few threads on the topic of distorted Stereo output. Might be something in here that helps:

https://forums.atariage.com/search/?q=stereo distorted&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=12

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Oh - another massive gotcha I nearly forgot (and which has bitten me REPEATEDLY): the TK-II is in 'XEGS' mode by default, and you need to plug a PS/2 keyboard in and deactivate said mode (using a key combination specified in the TK-II manual and which I can never call to mind) before the internal Atari keyboard will work at all. So even if you didn't want to use the PS/2 connection, you need to hook up an external keyboard once before the internal keyboard will work (and thereafter, XEGS mode will be permanently deactivated until you enable it again).

This sort of disqualifies the product for me... :(

Sorry to take so long getting back to you. But I could have sworn that you said both the external PS/2 and internal stock keyboard were not working. If the PS/2 keyboard also wasn't working, then that would not be the fault of being in XEGS mode.

However if all you want is just the dual pokey stereo aspect and have no interest in the PS/2 keyboard ever, then all you have to do is remove the PIC16F1847 chip, and you will be left with a Stereo Pokey board, that also has built-in stereo/mono switching.

EDIT: However after reading your first post, it sounds like there may be a more serious issue with your board. Where did you get it? And if you purchased it from someone, maybe you need to touch bases with them to see what they are willing to do.

6 hours ago, chevymad said:

VinsCool had an issue with the output being too hot as well. He added a couple resistors to the board.  

This worked! The audio is now listenable!

Well if no other problem arises that looks to be about it for this project :)

Edited by jaek_3
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, jaek_3 said:

Yes, thank you for that track. I quite like it :)

welcome :)

Also try this one which I believe sounds better on Stereo. It's from the end of the excellent Allet Dog demo from last Summer.

It is a mono track but apparrently there was a trick used in the demo itself for stereo output. This standalone XEX may not play right in stereo ut either way it's a great track.

Also if you have Side3 or AVG you can play PDM stereo tracks converted by the excellent Fujiconvert. Again powered speakers or a display with decent speaker output is essential to really enjoy PDM stereo playback.

A few of mine which were converted for my Side3:

Alleydog endpart by stRing.xex

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1