IGNORED

SIDE2 - Stock 64kb machine: How can I create/modify APT partitions using FDISK on or off the Atari?

RockLobster

New user alert.   It's clear that FDISK requires more RAM to launch which is fine.  

What are alternative methods for partitioning the space on SIDE2's CF card outside of doing it on another machine with say U1MB or otherwise have more RAM?   Are their utilities on PC/Mac/Linux to can help me manipulate APT partitions and modify files within them?

Thank you

On 1/7/2023 at 8:04 AM, RockLobster said:

What are alternative methods for partitioning the space on SIDE2's CF card outside of doing it on another machine with say U1MB or otherwise have more RAM?   Are their utilities on PC/Mac/Linux to can help me manipulate APT partitions and modify files within them?

AFAIK there are no utilities beyond the FDISK.COM utility for Atari 8-bits that are designed to create and/or modify APT partitions specifically.

It will be hard to use partitioning tools from other operating systems to partition a CF card for SIDE2, since those partitioning tools won't know how to create the APT partition table and partitions, only the FAT + partitions.

So at some point, you will need run FDISK.COM on an Atari in order to create the APT partition table and partitions.

"Otherwise have more RAM" in this context means "you prefer not to solder or modify your machine", or "you prefer not to spend any more money"?

If you prefer not to solder, and you have a XL with a PBI connector or an XE with an ECI connector, a Sys-Check board from @tf_hh will boost the RAM in a PBI/ECI Atari up to 512KB without any soldering; you can find ordering instructions in his hardware info PDF.  I've also seen a few other PBI RAM expansion boards on eBay.

If you have a non-PBI XL or a non-ECI XE, or if you prefer not to spend any more money, then you'll either need to find another machine so you can partition your CF card, or you could try to write a partitioning tool that works with both FAT and APT partitions yourself.

1 hour ago, spicyjack said:

If you have a non-PBI XL or a non-ECI XE, or if you prefer not to spend any more money, then you'll either need to find another machine so you can partition your CF card, or you could try to write a partitioning tool that works with both FAT and APT partitions yourself.

It's also possible to use Altirra to create the partitions in a VHD, then copy the VHD to a CF card for use with the SIDE2.

On 1/9/2023 at 3:04 PM, BillC said:

It's also possible to use Altirra to create the partitions in a VHD, then copy the VHD to a CF card for use with the SIDE2.

This is exactly what I ended up doing and it works great since it's really a one time thing.   You can run FORMAT in either Altirra or back on the 64kb machine since memory requirements for FORMAT is much lower.